LMTV 4x4 with Slide Out $34k 3,400 miles

Msand

Importer
I have a video of the engine running on this vehicle- saw it in person, Id contact Grigsby Trucks in Bend, OR or MULE off road. PM me ill send you the video, and walk around

These vehicles love to blow out HP oil hoses, making a nice big hole in the engine. Remember you'll need a new fuel tank, if you want to go more than 200 miles per fill up.
Ive been told to expect at least another $8,000-15,000 in repairs or rebuilds on LMTVs.. I purchased one off Gov planet for $2,200. Of course "like new" condition. Engine blew out on the way home.. New CAT engines aren't cheap, I sold mine for what i bought it for- really lucked out.

Some more things to look out for is that the slide out does not have a built in awning so snow, and rain would be brought inside, the old AC unit was just taken out and boarded up- water drips in those when washing the vehicle, so possibility of mold behind the wood.

There is a good build thread on here somewhere about how much work it takes to get one in proper working condition for reliable expedition use. Usually all the wiring gets replaced, intake hoses, CIS- central inflation system, HP oil system, fuel pump, re gearing, new axles, etc.. A lot of people can afford to buy one, but quickly realize they bit off more than they can chew, and cannot afford the repairs and keep up.

If you want to spend around $18,000 I'd import a late 80's Styer LMTV 6 speed manual, amazing vehicles. I know an importer that'll get you one with all paper work and imported to seattle for $12,000.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I had seriously considered using an LMTV as a base for our full-time retirement rig, but there were simply too many reasons to go that route.

The CAT motor is a big one.

Jjackson410

Observer
I have found that for every $1000 more I spend on buying a "Better" vehicle I get $2000 worth of work/value that has already been performed on the vehicle by a previous owner. Given the value of my "Time, Effort and Ability "I" have found that buying a much better vehicle on the front-end that some other poor bastard has spent their "Time, Effort and Ability" upon repairing/restoring many of the problems with the vehicle that extra money spent on the purchasing a better vehicle is money well spent causing the "Project" to get done much cheaper and more importantly much quicker in the grand scheme of things. My time is worth more than my money!

I think the "Slide" on this truck is a game changer. The increase in living space can and will make a huge difference. The quality of the "Slide" installation and function is a BIG deal and therefore should be checked closely. "Slides" are one of if not the single biggest warranty issue on RV's today in the RV industry. Slides can cause lot's of operational and water leak problems. Yes you could spend your "Time, Effort and Ability" installing a slide in another truck box however at what cost? Of course buying this truck or any other truck just because of the "Slide" would be stupid. Let's hope, pray and inspect the truck itself to see if the truck is really worth buying first as that is the real basis of any build such as this. These trucks are available everywhere as the gov sells them off so this truck is not rare or hard to find therefore buying the best truck you can find for whatever you the buyer consider a "reasonable" price should be your first consideration. You should also consider the transportation costs associated with buying this vehicle if you are not local. Shipping or even driving the damn thing home might be very expensive!

In this situation $25K "could" buy you a lot of headaches OR $25k could buy you a huge time and money saver in completing your dream expedition vehicle in a much shorter time period. Time to go to Denver and have a look and see if this is your dream type of expedition vehicle!

There is ALOT of wisdom in this reply.. I agree 100% and perhaps that is why i haven't pulled the trigger on buying one. I have been a heavy truck mechanic for 30 years and run and operate a repair shop now. But I often think how much work do i really want to put into a rig or if i shouldn't just be looking for something like a 2001 Chevy Starflyte. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8i0rqvbG0g

Jjackson410

Observer
A slide out on a vehicle like that is just asking for trouble. The mechanisms cannot take the rough pounding, not to mention they are very hard to insulate. Very low mileage is a concern, not a plus.

Joe, You are absolutely right.. I really didn't think of the beating this truck will give

Jjackson410

Observer
I have a video of the engine running on this vehicle- saw it in person, Id contact Grigsby Trucks in Bend, OR or MULE off road. PM me ill send you the video, and walk around

These vehicles love to blow out HP oil hoses, making a nice big hole in the engine. Remember you'll need a new fuel tank, if you want to go more than 200 miles per fill up.
Ive been told to expect at least another $8,000-15,000 in repairs or rebuilds on LMTVs.. I purchased one off Gov planet for $2,200. Of course "like new" condition. Engine blew out on the way home.. New CAT engines aren't cheap, I sold mine for what i bought it for- really lucked out.

Some more things to look out for is that the slide out does not have a built in awning so snow, and rain would be brought inside, the old AC unit was just taken out and boarded up- water drips in those when washing the vehicle, so possibility of mold behind the wood.

There is a good build thread on here somewhere about how much work it takes to get one in proper working condition for reliable expedition use. Usually all the wiring gets replaced, intake hoses, CIS- central inflation system, HP oil system, fuel pump, re gearing, new axles, etc.. A lot of people can afford to buy one, but quickly realize they bit off more than they can chew, and cannot afford the repairs and keep up.

If you want to spend around $18,000 I'd import a late 80's Styer LMTV 6 speed manual, amazing vehicles. I know an importer that'll get you one with all paper work and imported to seattle for $12,000.

GREAT advice!

Keyne

Adventurer
I will have to save this thread for that next time I start talking myself into the overland romance with one of these ex military trucks. On paper they seem so perfect (cab over, CTIS, etc).

Jjackson410

Observer
I will have to save this thread for that next time I start talking myself into the overland romance with one of these ex military trucks. On paper they seem so perfect (cab over, CTIS, etc).

LOL!! Great to think about kicking back relaxing by the truck in the mountains somewhere.. but not so much fun thinking about the 100's of hours to build it.. LOL

dirkdigler48

Do you still have a contact to import a Styer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles