LMTV 4x4 with Slide Out $34k 3,400 miles

Msand

Importer
Little overpriced, but awesome! govplanet sells them without the slide out for $2,700-$12,000 with less than 3,000 miles

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So that looks like the slide was added to a standard box? Seems nicely done. GLWS

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Little overpriced, but awesome! govplanet sells them without the slide out for $2,700-$12,000 with less than 3,000 miles

I would question the "like new" condition rating also. Look at the seats for example. Two things to never trust on a used military vehicle are the fuel gauge and odometer.

sethro80

Adventurer
I have a very nice 1994 M1079, and let me tell you none of these trucks are like new condition, I have been working non stop on the thing, everything needs serviced on the trucks, I too thought that just because the odo was super low miles that these trucks are almost new condition, the farthest from the truth, that being said my truck is now in overall very good condition, but it took a ton of work to get it to this level.

I do love the slide in this truck for sale link, I am almost tempted to find out where he got it from, looks like it is out of a 5th wheel RV or something.

Just my 2 cents

Seth

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
My experience with purchasing military vehicles has taught me to buy the one's with what most folks would consider "High Miles" on them (the more the better) and avoid the "Low Mileage" units. The "Low Mileage" units are "Low Mileage" for a reason and that reason was NOT that they did not get use it much.

"Low Mileage" units have problems that's why they are "Low Mileage"!

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
I see this vehicle has been re-listed at 25k.. I have been in the market for a M1079 for some time. What do you guys think something like this is worth? Im thinking 18.5k with all the work.. Thoughts?

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/extreme-lmtv-4x4-with-slide/6483069751.html

It depends on what you're willing to spend knowing that you'll be hard pressed to get it back. I'll admit the slide out is unique and kind of nice but stop over at Steel Soldiers and take a look at some of the issues other people have had. Personally my fan clutch exploded 200 miles from home and cost me an $850 tow bill to get it back to my driveway. Another guy over there just had his engine grenade on him with no warning. I buy military vehicles for toys knowing that I'll use them for short distances and can work on them myself. Keep that in mind when considering one.

Reactions: zip

Coachgeo

Explorer
With labor and work done on the box.... 25 sounds about right IMHO and I am one to typically biatch that the prices are way too high. For example in TN there is a 1079 for sell at 16grand.... NON RUNNER....

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have found that for every $1000 more I spend on buying a "Better" vehicle I get $2000 worth of work/value that has already been performed on the vehicle by a previous owner. Given the value of my "Time, Effort and Ability "I" have found that buying a much better vehicle on the front-end that some other poor bastard has spent their "Time, Effort and Ability" upon repairing/restoring many of the problems with the vehicle that extra money spent on the purchasing a better vehicle is money well spent causing the "Project" to get done much cheaper and more importantly much quicker in the grand scheme of things. My time is worth more than my money!

I think the "Slide" on this truck is a game changer. The increase in living space can and will make a huge difference. The quality of the "Slide" installation and function is a BIG deal and therefore should be checked closely. "Slides" are one of if not the single biggest warranty issue on RV's today in the RV industry. Slides can cause lot's of operational and water leak problems. Yes you could spend your "Time, Effort and Ability" installing a slide in another truck box however at what cost? Of course buying this truck or any other truck just because of the "Slide" would be stupid. Let's hope, pray and inspect the truck itself to see if the truck is really worth buying first as that is the real basis of any build such as this. These trucks are available everywhere as the gov sells them off so this truck is not rare or hard to find therefore buying the best truck you can find for whatever you the buyer consider a "reasonable" price should be your first consideration. You should also consider the transportation costs associated with buying this vehicle if you are not local. Shipping or even driving the damn thing home might be very expensive!

In this situation $25K "could" buy you a lot of headaches OR $25k could buy you a huge time and money saver in completing your dream expedition vehicle in a much shorter time period. Time to go to Denver and have a look and see if this is your dream type of expedition vehicle!

Last edited:

Joe917

Explorer
A slide out on a vehicle like that is just asking for trouble. The mechanisms cannot take the rough pounding, not to mention they are very hard to insulate. Very low mileage is a concern, not a plus.

TXFJ60

Jeeze. Wipe your lens clean with your shirt at least. Would love to see something like that in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne