2500/3500 Express frame?

DRLPatrol

Looking to buy an Express to do a camper build. Does anyone know if the 3500 frame is stronger than the 2500 frame, or are they the same and the difference is just in the suspension components and axles? I have been looking for a 3500 '03 or newer, planning on a Weldtec lift kit. Got to wondering if the frame is the same once I start changing components maybe it does not matter which I start with. Jeremy?

Thanks
Doug

Here are some part numbers straight out of the gm catalog. It looks to me like some 2500 and 3500 used the same frame but not all. I'm thinking that the cab and chassis packages that GM manufactured for box trucks used a heavier frame. Hope this helps some. Even though I used a 2014 for reference in the catalog, I see that the part number 84228208 was used from 03-17. If you can get me a VIN or 2 from ones you are looking at, I can tell you exactly what frame is under them.

b6YFjAj.jpg

Last edited:

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
Looking to buy an Express to do a camper build. Does anyone know if the 3500 frame is stronger than the 2500 frame, or are they the same and the difference is just in the suspension components and axles? I have been looking for a 3500 '03 or newer, planning on a Weldtec lift kit. Got to wondering if the frame is the same once I start changing components maybe it does not matter which I start with. Jeremy?

Thanks
Doug

It seems like a decent idea.

The best way to get in touch with Jeremy is by phone. He spends a lot of time in the shop.

Also, just a heads up, when you say camper, it's important to clarify what you mean. Is it a "van" or a RV built based on a "cab & chassis/cut-away"? There are slight differences in suspension in that case.

DRLPatrol

....It looks to me like some 2500 and 3500 used the same frame but not all. I'm thinking that the cab and chassis packages that GM manufactured for box trucks used a heavier frame.....

That thinking sounds good to me. If any of them used the same it would probable be the straight vans.

Thanks
Doug

DRLPatrol

....Also, just a heads up, when you say camper, it's important to clarify what you mean. Is it a "van" or a RV built based on a "cab & chassis/cut-away"? There are slight differences in suspension in that case.

Thanks for the heads up. I am talking van.

Doug

sackettmw

I'm not sure there is really much difference between the 2500 and 3500 as long as you get the higher gvw 2500 with steering gear box instead of rack and pinion or the 6 lug fake 2500. Maybe rear springs are different? I've got a 3500 and was pretty disappointed that it came with a semi-float dana 60 rear with an oddball axle spline count.

DRLPatrol

Thanks for the info. I knew about the 6 or 8 lug 2500s but not the semi-float dana 60. I thought all the dana 60s they used were the odd 12 bolt cover and they were FF.
How can I tell without pulling the hub cover?

Doug

sackettmw

I think all of the 60s in the vans may have been semi float. Its a 33 spline axle. I'll be swapping for a 14 bolt when I get a chance. The cutaways (box trucks) have 70s or 80s and the frame is different.

There should be a white tag on the axle tube on the driver's side with the axle type, ratio, open or lsd, and an Id number that you can put in on the Dana website for information.

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx

Its probably best to look for a van that has the most features you want. It seems that 2500 and 3500 are mostly the same thing.

DRLPatrol

....Its probably best to look for a van that has the most features you want. It seems that 2500 and 3500 are mostly the same thing.

I had about come to the same conclusion. Find the right van and change axels if I want. BTW I would like to find one with the 14 bolt 10.5" also.

Doug

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
GM Upfitter site body builder section has a lot of good frame drawings/dimensions: https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/6
The passenger/cargo vans use the same frame but there is a "heavy duty" option for some year models.
The Cut-Away Vans have a much heavier frame construction and somewhat different design. I'm about to try and transplant a passenger van to a cutaway frame (after I shorten it to 155"wb) and add the additional body mounts.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76...000-express-3500-hightop-lbz-allison-sas.html

DRLPatrol

Len.Barron, Thanks for the upfitter link. Very good timing. About an hour a ago I won an auction for a 2500 from Oregon DOT. Hope to get it home tomorrow. It has some electrical issues and I see there is an electrical section in that link. It is for a 2011 and mine is a 2004 but it is a start. The 2004 section of the link did not have the electrical section. Any ideas where to look for a good 2004 wiring diagram?

Doug

Len.Barron

Observer
It is a great site but yes, it's weak on electrical prior to about 09 or so. There will be a huge difference between 04 and 11 vans. Get a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for your specific year/model; google discount coupons/promo codes and you can usually get a years subscription for $15 (it's worth 5 times that, the electrical diagrams are awesome).

DRLPatrol

Len.Darron
I checked out alldatadiy.com, looks good. Even found some coupons. Was wondering could I print out the wiring diagrams or parts of them to carry to the shop?
Thanks
Doug

Last edited:

Len.Barron

Observer
Sure, just select the image in "print view" and print it or you can right click "save image as" and make a folder on your hard drive with everything you need, save that on a thumb drive and just print them out whenever you need to. Are you doing this yourself or having a shop do it for you?
Many shops that do conversions have unlimited accounts with AllDATADIY for just this kind of thing..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles