Inflatable Kayaks

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I'd go with Advanced Element kayaks too. We have three...small single for wife, big single for me, and double for when we both want to paddle together.

As open cockpit boats, they're much easier to bail out of if you get flipped over (great for beginner peace of mind), and also being very stable they're so much easier to climb back into....two critically important skills to have for beginning kayakers.

Their versatility allows you to transport them inflated on your roof rack or carry them broken down in storage bags inside your vehicle.

And please.......Don't be scared off from the doubles....it's easy to learn synchronized paddling if you are patient with your partner, and more importantly, in strong winds or current, having the combined power of two paddlers with the (usually) stronger male able to really pull power strokes to move the boat makes a huge difference in your fun and comfort.

Buy used, keep looking at the end of the season....lots of hopeful adventurers buy nice, expensive gear, but use it for only one summer before they lose interest in the sport, then re-sell for cheap.

We bought a good condition used 17' Folboat for $550....msrp new @$3200!

Last edited:

4Pat

check for air head montana 2 at wallmart they are around 250$.... but also look at the spec vs all the other . the shel is rock solid . we brings are dog very often with no issues. and yes they IK drag do not love high wind. we bought 2 years ago and we love it . i am in kayak world since 1983 and for travelers it you're best bet

I'd go with Advanced Element kayaks too. We have three...small single for wife, big single for me, and double for when we both want to paddle together.

As open cockpit boats, they're much easier to bail out of if you get flipped over (great for beginner peace of mind), and also being very stable they're so much easier to climb back into....two critically important skills to have for beginning kayakers.

Their versatility allows you to transport them inflated on your roof rack or carry them broken down in storage bags inside your vehicle.

And please.......Don't be scared off from the doubles....it's easy to learn synchronized paddling if you are patient with your partner, and more importantly, in strong winds or current, having the combined power of two paddlers with the (usually) stronger male able to really pull power strokes to move the boat makes a huge difference in your fun and comfort.

Buy used, keep looking at the end of the season....lots of hopeful adventurers buy nice, expensive gear, but use it for only one summer before they lose interest in the sport, then re-sell for cheap.

We bought a good condition used 17' Folboat for $550....msrp new @$3200!

Just bought the Advanced elements convertible DS, would love to get some insight from you on roof mounting, I'm worried about a side wind gust on the freeway bending the damn thing! how do you mount and secure it while inflated? how fast and far do you drive?

Thanks!

Just bought the Advanced elements convertible DS, would love to get some insight from you on roof mounting, I'm worried about a side wind gust on the freeway bending the damn thing! how do you mount and secure it while inflated? how fast and far do you drive?

Thanks!

So to follow up for others, I tested the kayak out over the weekend. Its good up to 40mph at least, but I didnt go over that. Could use a big strap around the middle to keep it from shifting left to right. other than that, it did great!

Finally bit the bullet and got a kayak!

Advanced Airframe Convertible DS series. Up to 6psi, drop stitch floor, the whole enchilada, but shrinks down to a nice small bag that goes on top of my James Baroud tent. Perfect for transit and city apartment living/storage.

lG1Uhgj.jpg

79ukasd.jpg

j6nAEwQ.jpg

OVikNc4.jpg

tacomabill

For those with Inflatables, especially Advanced Elements which I am quite interested in, how does you kayak handle on flat water? With and without wind?

For those with Inflatables, especially Advanced Elements which I am quite interested in, how does you kayak handle on flat water? With and without wind?

You get moved a round a little bit, but not too bad. I've used mine over 30 times with no issues or signs of wear and tear.

Great with one person, better with two, and a big fan with two people AND a dog haha.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Does anyone have any experience with SOAR inflatable canoes?

I'm considering one to replace my traditional kayak.

I like the open design, huge cargo capacity and whitewater capability.

captwoody

Adventurer
A quick thanks to Kerry for making me aware of Kaboat. I now have a 396 Kaboat with the Sail kit and a 2.5 Suzuki four stroke I picked up for a thousand bucks lightly used. weighs like 40 lbs and is easy to move. I also have an 2016 outback but my back injury wont let me lift to roof of jeep. just need the wheel kit and I am set .packs small and fits in my adventure trailer

Last edited:

tacomabill

Decided to get the Advanced Elements Expedition Elite. 13 foot covered deck that includes a drop stitch floor. Not sure I will do anything but single day paddles, but it has storage for multi-day trips should I opt to do that. Will be ordering tomorrow so if anyone has feedback please post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles