Bed in a CJ?

gohomepossum

Weird Guy
OK I need ideas for how I could camp sort-of comfortably in my CJ3....if I cant or dont want to pitch a tent on the ground....what is the best thing I could make that would fold out into a platform for a tent or sleeping area/bed.

I do not use a full top so the back is always open which leaves lots of space....maybe I lay a plywood across....but then my feet stick where the monsters can get them?

Just seeing what wacky ways you might do it.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I'm 6'6" and have a M38. I don't see any way at all of sleeping in your CJ3. Is it an A or a B? Maybe a small rooftop tent or tent cot that you can strap to the back.

gohomepossum

Weird Guy
I'm 6'6" and have a M38. I don't see any way at all of sleeping in your CJ3. Is it an A or a B? Maybe a small rooftop tent or tent cot that you can strap to the back.

My passenger seat folds down flat....I found that if I stretch out from the glovebox to the spare tire, I just fit....but when folded down the seat cannot support much weight....so I cannot just screw a plank to it and lay on that. May be time to stop having passengers goodbye seat hello metal framework for bed/tent

It is actually a Mitsubishi CJ so it's not really an A or a B it's just its own weird thing but its dimensional the same as a CJ3B so I guess we can call it a B?

Last edited:

gohomepossum

Weird Guy

A rooftop tent could be possible but I wonder about the weight supporting ability of the windshield frame.

xbombtek

Observer
You could make a new floor that's hinged and folds onto itself when not in use, then drop the tailgate and unfold it out the back to place you fart sack or air mattress.
I'm 6'4" and have a 2A. I wouldn't even attempt to sleep in it.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I'm surprised there's any of those left. I thought for sure Gojira had stomped every last one of them decades ago.

unkamonkey

Explorer
You could make a new floor that's hinged and folds onto itself when not in use, then drop the tailgate and unfold it out the back to place you fart sack or air mattress.

I was going to suggest the same thing. The only monsters I ever had come near me were the 2 Labs that got kicked out of the cabin around 06:00 and they decided that they needed to lick my hands as I tried to get in a bit more sleep. I have seen a guy sleep in the back of my MB on the way back from a ski trip.

Last edited:

borison

Adventurer
Love this post. Whatever you do, make sure you keep your feet covered. I don't believe the monsters can get them if they are under the covers.

Justincredible

Adventurer

I was thinking something similar, but with a slide out floor. Kind of like a big cutting board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke