Solar Generator Build

MtnBubba

Observer
I built something similar to this about a year ago. I didn’t originally have a solar controller in it and just installed the Victron MPPT 75/15.

It also has a Victron BM-700.

Should I wire it so the load is always fed from the MPPT (limited to 15A with a cutoff set at 11.8 V), or just use the MPPT for charging and monitor the discharge with the BMV-700 with current limited only by a 40A fuse and no cutoff voltage?

MtnBubba

Observer
I have it set up now with all the USB, cigarette lighter, PowerPole running off of a bus connected to the battery. I also have a 50A Anderson plug separate and wired direct to the battery for an inverter or anything needing big amperage.

Everything is monitored by the BMV-700, but I was wondering if it would be wise to power the bus off of the charge controller?

dcc1b62198217ab05d21062c62995bb9.jpg

1c782481f8eb77ff3a52eb98ba91e862.jpg

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes that direct Anderson is one, LVD-wired the other.

A master isolation switch is what you want in a crisis, or for when it's not in use.

pdavitt

I built something similar to this about a year ago. I didn’t originally have a solar controller in it and just installed the Victron MPPT 75/15.

It also has a Victron BM-700.

Should I wire it so the load is always fed from the MPPT (limited to 15A with a cutoff set at 11.8 V), or just use the MPPT for charging and monitor the discharge with the BMV-700 with current limited only by a 40A fuse and no cutoff voltage?

It doesn't have to be complicated. Just wire the Charge Controller to the DC positive bus or connection point. Most MPPT Solar Charge Controllers (Victron included) have a primary and secondary purpose.
The primary purpose is the maximize varying input from the solar panels and use that to charge the battery(s) based on a programed charging profile. A secondary purpose is to provide available power when needed.

For example if the battery is in a float status the Charge Controller will sense a load and increase its output up to the maximum available from the solar panels. When the load is gone it will go back to floating the battery.
The above is an over simplification but you get the idea.

Just wire it up so the battery, charge controller, and loads are all on the same circuit.

Pat

vectorsc

Adventurer
So - the report almost a year later.

The good - Its portable.

The Bad - I needed to use more flexible cabling from the solar panel interconnects to the Victron CC. I will have to rectify this issue either with a set of posts or some other.

Also, the use of riv-nuts was inspired - but only a little. I needed really to use them a little different to get it to work right - I think it would be more apt to say I used the wrong panel thickness.

My next steps?

I will sell this unit after fixing the flexi. I'm going to actually build in solar as I rebuild my G wagon into a camper camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94