Dual Battery & Solar System Questions

wrmmt

Adventurer
I am currently planning out a dual battery system for my 2013 Silverado. I have some pieces already, I have a solar panel on the way, and I still need to get some of the pieces. I have decided to go with Blue Sea mostly, have a few 100A Blue Sea fuses I am going to use, as well as a fuse block for the goodies I will connect to the auxiliary battery (mostly will be using to charge electronics, run lights and a small fridge). I am planning on going with the Blue Sea ML-ACR for the switching duties. I am still a little shaky on the wiring, so I wanted to get the opinion of some who have much more experience than me in that department...

Here is the wiring diagram (yeah, I did it in 5 minutes before bed, its not the prettiest...), I put it together from several different systems/diagrams, so I want to make sure it will work. Also, what size wire should I use to connect the batteries? Also what size wire should I use to connect the fuse block to the battery, and then the power outlets, etc... to the fuse block. Thanks in advance for the help!

ay0i1h40y8mtqO5axBKru_BN2hCAP-wSrUTwD7rKuaUkX-KNgD_X6TwGC5iq-nQTNJUkUlhV5YONy_nFatUQwNlc6I89qSBGOTdCvwOeQRQ2TwHKyS02K61yEx5ffYWrd65Pgm_QbvRnGA8QrtV3cxkgxkLkEzU8ODcKVSit23p4QgB6gqyd_nrtJ1PzIOi89J-qFegTxvyVXwaSkiiqRhqt0C0fWf4t0Bp5_nj54FFMoOF4o8HwLyV9-JXfZ5GWWv8GQZoUR7T8iGm9Fdpk98FHsbtTnPLEyjMHp01eNMbI59_M1PmNgq6-3XDp-YrDHGSa_oiuHlu331BnsK1ytXyGSvhIqHM0aOqnzhu-ZwSZYp3XRgUau-b3cWcfvCUsS-Pk2BcllIBvYBbMos9W7fBup6xCk0pwnw5Jk6UaBtjucNS1Tav5CkQKnLF95M21VynGQkot6df0I4jUXdgUQBf7ie8h29IswUE8G_Y8aWX-E8RJTJbuk-k-pY76SNa2rXkSi6zHjdBMd8mhcj5OK9QEfLKbustvm3wKpRU2nCB5aWcuRvK4IKJ4k24vd6a58shTJ1nlH0hEKDOXXFnDuMf8Zr0mnLpXJTiUjtyjBYOlORaV5fi4z-eq=w1167-h623-no

jeegro

Adventurer
Picture doesn't load

Try this http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

For the load current, plug in the capacity of your fuse block (probably 100 or 150 amp)

The ml-acr is 500 amps, I would (and have) use 2/0 gauge welding cable for those connections. I have a winch, so thick wires never hurt. Fuse blocks, depending on distance, 4 awg is usually good.

Last edited:

wrmmt

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, Ill check out that site! Not sure why the photo wasn't working, Ill try uploading it a different way and see if that works...

Dual Battery Draft Diagram.jpg

(I need to re-do the amp on the fuse block, that's too high...)

wrmmt

Adventurer
Here is the updated diagram including the solar panel. I am planning to use 2/0 wire for all of the connections between the batteries and the ML-ACR (except the negative to the main battery, Blue Sea says 16 AWG for that). The connections to the fuse block will be 4 AWG. I am planning to connect a usb and 12v outlet to the fuse block with 20A fuses and 16 AWG wire. I am also planning to add an inverter in the bed at some point, and maybe one in the cab, but I think those are going to wait until I get things set up more. I am also planning on putting in a cheap dual battery monitor (ala Amazon.com), what size wire/fuses should I use for that? Any other comments, am I doing this correctly?

Attachments

• Dual Battery Draft Diagram v2.jpg
    Dual Battery Draft Diagram v2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28

paranoid56

Adventurer
I am doing almost the exact same setup. your main setup looks good, but no idea on the solar as i am researching that part too.

wrmmt

Adventurer
I am doing almost the exact same setup. your main setup looks good, but no idea on the solar as i am researching that part too.

Nice! Yeah, I am pretty solid on the wiring for the panel, less so on where I am going to put things... I found some good fuse help on the Renogy site. Most of the wiring I need came with the solar panel and controller so I am pretty good there. Need to figure out where to put the charge controller though, they say you should mount it vertically, but just don't think Im going to be able to do that...

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I would use #12 for the 20a branch circuits off the fuse block. Or use 10a fuses with #16.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz