Transfer tank for E350

silvrzuki77

explorer
I really suggest Amazon or box company CAD program.... at least I get like 4 deliveries a day from them it seems cause of my wife.

I have a regular base van so that monster fuel tank wouldn't work. The thing I don't like about using the Ford tank is the fuel tube will have to come out on the side of the van. MG did his awesome making it look stock. I'm going the easy route lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

explorer
Ordered the tank, straps and pump... didn't use rock auto their shipping sucked. Order same parts from eBay free shipping. Plus the eBay fuel tank came with the straps. Saved $25 bucks.

silvrzuki77

explorer
201ea978f56c3b109336344dcc11dc9b.jpg

Everything came yesterday.... I work the next 24hr and it might be busy night. So hopefully I will start on something tomorrow.

silvrzuki77

explorer
So I was correct cutting the tire carrier out it absolutely sucked A&&........
So here is what ended up working in the long run using a grinder, plasma cutter, drill, air hammer.

I tried using a plasma cutter to burn the rivets off..... not so good.

Tried using a 4.5" grinder cutting the heads off.... worked decent but was a pain even with the blade worn down to a smaller size.

So what I found best was to use a 40 grit flap disk to grind the rivet heads down. Once they were flush I used my air hammer to start a grove then used my drill but that has a pilot.
325b4db3b3be1b0aa4b23fa07225022d.jpg

Once I drilled it out a tad bit I was able to use my air hammer to pushed the rivets out. Once the rivets were removed I cut one end of the carrier with plasma cutter to remove it.

7a105a0e482ecba2161ebb3429f02134.jpg

I then rotated my Evap canister drilled and bolted one side to the shock tower with a small spacer to keep it off the body. In the rear I took 2 pieces of 2" angle iron welded
Together in a z pattern drilled and bolted to the Evap canister and screwed into the body. Picture might explain it better
fc49e2363dea725da862c313dba44033.jpg

So have a clean slate now for the auxiliary tank. I have this week off so I will start fabbing the tank mount.

Last edited:

Corneilius

Adventurer
That was not a spare tire carrier. That was a structural crossmember, that a spare tire just happen to be attached to.

Lol came here to say that... I noticed you don't have a receiver hitch. I would add one ASAP. Those rear frame horns get kinda wiggly when you cut that crossmember out and the trailer hitch really helps. Ujoint even welds in a replacement crossmember

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Lol came here to say that... I noticed you don't have a receiver hitch. I would add one ASAP. Those rear frame horns get kinda wiggly when you cut that crossmember out and the trailer hitch really helps. Ujoint even welds in a replacement crossmember

Yeah when I cut mine out I talked with Chris about that. Ended up deciding mine would be okay (for now) with the receiver hitch holding things together. I haven't done a transfer tank yet (on the list), but went ahead and cut the spare tire hanger out when doing the conversion since the bigger tires weren't going to fit.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I have a trailer hitch! lol you have to remove it to get to the rivets on the STRUCTURAL cross member...... lol jeez guys need to give me a brake I haven't even started building the new cross members to hold the tank in.

FYI this isn't a daily driver for me so it's just sitting. Once the tank is mostly done I am going to start on a dual swing tire carrier with integrated hitch.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I have a trailer hitch! lol you have to remove it to get to the rivets on the STRUCTURAL cross member...... lol jeez guys need to give me a brake I haven't even started building the new cross members to hold the tank in.

FYI this isn't a daily driver for me so it's just sitting. Once the tank is mostly done I am going to start on a dual swing tire carrier with integrated hitch.

Ha! My apologies. Carry on sir.

86scotty

Cynic
So I was correct cutting the tire carrier out it absolutely sucked A&&........
So here is what ended up working in the long run using a grinder, plasma cutter, drill, air hammer.

I tried using a plasma cutter to burn the rivets off..... not so good.

Tried using a 4.5" grinder cutting the heads off.... worked decent but was a pain even with the blade worn down to a smaller size.

So what I found best was to use a 40 grit flap disk to grind the rivet heads down. Once they were flush I used my air hammer to start a grove then used my drill but that has a pilot.

I did this a year or so ago. I agree, it completely sucked. I've seen many folks just Sawzall the thing out along the frame rails, leaving all the pins and hard stuff there, but I was planning to reuse my spare tire carrier under a small motorhome I have. That wound up being a total fail too. I probably wasted a solid week of my 'play' time on that project but at least me carrier is cleanly out from under the van, cleanly being sort of a loose term. :D

Nice work, carry on.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Got the STRUCTURAL crossmember done!!! Lol
So I ended up welding everything in place. I wasn't confident I can could fit it in place welded. between the front mount inside the frame and the rear on top the frame.
Here is everything bolted in place and can be welded in place.
97c22d5914fd77ee9ab70685dd6d6dff.jpg

The cross members sit on the edge of the tank. I had to take about 1.25" out of each to have the tank sit level because of the frame dipping.
64c2bb2f5b3f750ededa94c4fdbd9115.jpg

The tank sits nice and level and has good clearance around the exhaust. (Still will warp the exhaust or something)
I was hoping for the best but the stock suburban tank straps are 10" to short. So far I can't find a replacement strap in that style that will work so coming to try extend them tomorrow. So far everything is nice and tight and has plenty of clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles