Transfer tank for E350

silvrzuki77

explorer
Worked out well having the rear crossmember above the frame gave me clearance for the filler. I have some extra 2" strap going to try to extend the factory straps to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

explorer
I called spectra who makes tanks straps to see if I could order a 8-10" longer strap in the same setup. Guess they can't look up measurements..... guess everyone is like autozone now.

So I just cut some strap welded and lengthened the straps under the tank. Worked out good! Here are some installed pics.
5108dba9d1cfffe5d08e5481d28db74f.jpg
4413ab4f667a22a3ac9ad5e70fa8c8fb.jpg
28b79de0ae49dbcf297983cbbcc32e16.jpg

Once everything is plumbed and running I will build a skid plate. Stay tuned for more down the road.

silvrzuki77

explorer
So I know it will be said....... it will get smashed blah blah.

T case to the ground 17"

Bottom tank to the ground 19"

T case having the worst break over angle.... pretty sure I won't have to worry about the fuel tank lol

This is why I went with 37's versus 35's based on wheel base

4x4pair

Adventurer
So I know it will be said....... it will get smashed blah blah.

T case to the ground 17"

Bottom tank to the ground 19"

T case having the worst break over angle.... pretty sure I won't have to worry about the fuel tank lol

This is why I went with 37's versus 35's based on wheel base

I never used the word "smashed"...lol. I know it'll be skid plated. I just said it hung low...but so does my tank .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

silvrzuki77

explorer
Soo a little head scratching today. Bench testing the fuel pump to make sure I had the correct polarity and what not and I have a two wire plug plus the ground strap.... so was a little confused on how the sender is going to hook up. I was originally thinking the two plug was a positive and negative just for the pump. Of course I was doing this 10 min prior to taking my kids to school lol.
c9bdfe15b3e56d68dbd1c212fe5e963d.jpg

So super simple.
The gray wire is the positive for the fuel pump. The ground strap is the negative for both the pump and the sender....
You can see in the photo the blue wire from the sender turns into purple and the ground from the sender is grounded into the entire unit.
c9a610d8b0d8743d5c4c47446d9ff134.jpg

Purple wire is the sending wire.
Downloaded the install instructions for the auxiliary fuel tank gauge made things even simpler.
df67c2cfb11c1cd6df9c9b102e1a1749.jpg

Trying to eliminate problems before they start. Have a parts order list building for tomorrow. Probably going to temporary mount the fill tube to the stock bumper for now.

Might be picking up a new travel trailer so need the room on the side yard.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
So running into a little fuel sender problem. So followed summit racings diagram and have power and everything but will only read 99%. Looking at a 1990 Chevy wire diagram it says the signal is converted from 12v to 5v...... I was assuming the universal gauge would read but might need to buy or make a transformer to step it down? Anyone deal with something similar?? Only thing thing holding the project up lol.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Your gauge is wired directly to the sending unit? Shouldn't need to do anything but get the resistance range right. That sending unit is just a variable resistance device. Take a resistance measurement with the float down and one with the float up. Does that range match anything on the diagram?

silvrzuki77

explorer
Yup that exactly how it is wired. The gauge was set to 0-90ohm per the instructions which is what chevy runs their senders at... I am getting a ohm reading with the sender float up and down....

silvrzuki77

explorer
Just need to order a new sending unit. The gauge sender is shot. Bought a new travel trailer so weve been camping and putting money into that getting it all setup. Ill get working on it here soon.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Well super long delay working on this...... lots of excuses no one would care about lol. I put the van for sale but going to continue enjoying it till it’s gone. So figure I need to get off my butt and finish the fuel tank.

I had a issue with the sending unit. Unfortunately you can’t replace just the sending unit so I had to buy a brand new pump/sending unit. Ran a test run and everything is working. Friend is coming over later today to help me solder a brass nipple to a 1” copper tube that will be my tie in to the stock fill tube. Since he is a professional plumber and all.

The Chevy fuel tank has a 1 3/4 full tube so just need to find a universal filler neck to match that doesn’t cost to much.

I will gets some pictures up here real soon.

silvrzuki77

explorer
af7cc4305363a2a3ab5a867eec28b923.jpg

Nipple in place in 1” copper tubing.
d8370dbb4cdf28e3ad61ec828cc8b803.jpg

Kind of hard but I beveled the fitting so it sprays more toward the tank.
a8268b8f8577bf67daeb504623d9ed36.jpg

Really good fit for the stock filler hose.

silvrzuki77

explorer
18cbc4a01645c0a1c94168cebc2e9615.jpg

Well fail lol. I figured it was enough angle to fill and yup started spitting fuel out. Going to try a steeper angle/ or start my bumper build here soon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles