Portable A/C Unit....Gauging Interest

scotia

Way to go. I think there MAY be a GE model that looks and uses the same frame. Only issue I see is that the opening on the adapter for the controls may not be sized for the IR remote sensor. But too to know there are other options available

Jeffer949

Observer
Way to go. I think there MAY be a GE model that looks and uses the same frame. Only issue I see is that the opening on the adapter for the controls may not be sized for the IR remote sensor. But too to know there are other options available

Details details!! Open the case and remove the sensor make a external plug in connector. Mount the sensor inside your tent/camper along with a coiled extension cord like a telephone cord. BOOM DONE!!!

scotia

I am familiar with the wired remotes...I could offer that as well but trying to keep affordable. It's an easy mod that most home builders could perform. For me I am old school. Set it and forget it. Pile on the blankets....lol. if the compressor stays running, less fuel consumption. Unless at a campground with an electrical service then suck up that power.

scotia

Was able to reduce the inrush amp draw by 6A making the inrush current draw 16A down from 22. That's %37.5 decrease in amp draw averaged.
This was achieved by using a hard start kit for the compressor. Even short cycled the unit so to have high condenser pressure and the highest draw was only 18A. After running only the fan and stabilizing the refrigerant, I saw as low as 14.9 amps. Lower lift pressure for the compressor.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Was able to reduce the inrush amp draw by 6A making the inrush current draw 16A down from 22. That's %37.5 decrease in amp draw averaged.
This was achieved by using a hard start kit for the compressor. Even short cycled the unit so to have high condenser pressure and the highest draw was only 18A. After running only the fan and stabilizing the refrigerant, I saw as low as 14.9 amps. Lower lift pressure for the compressor.
Mine takes a least a minute for the compressor to kick in. That pressure is probably why and/or the goverment regulates timing on high surge items as to not overload the grid after an outage. I tested my Honda 2000 on Eco Mode with the 5000 BTU unit and it ran fine on a mix of AV gas and 91. It would run even stronger on 87. My bet is with your start cap mod the tiny Honda 1000 would run one well. It probably will even run without the cap. I love my 2000 but I have plenty of space. The tiny 1000 is so light and small it would be a perfect compliment to your setup.

basicfish

Observer
AC adapter

I want one! I am down in the clear lake area.
Let me know when I can get one from you.
I have ran my 5k AC on my honda eu1000, and ran it on a 900 watt 2 stroke from harbor freight it was working hard but keeping up.
Ron

Last edited:

basicfish

Observer
A/C adapter

Got one of these adapters, they are very well made. Works well on my GE 5k, powered by my honda eu1000.
Now I am ready for the summer.

Patrick, thanks again.

Ron

scotia

Ron,

Could you mention the GE model number or throw up a pic? Glad to here that you made it back and it was waiting for you.

basicfish

Observer
Finally got a 5k AC unit to permanently mount the adapter to. its a 5k arctic king from Walmart, $116, it cooled well putting out 52 degree air in the garage in single pass mode. ran well with my eu1000 honda, it even idled down in eco mode. I did one other mod, saw it on indestructibles, put a stainless steel cooking grate on the back to protect the fins. need to add some sort of handles on it and life here on the gulf coast will be even better.
rontemp.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0580.jpgtemp.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0579.jpgIMG_0580.jpg

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
build such modification box for an AC that uses a DC Inverter compressor and you got a huge winner for those who will use the unit a lot. If it does not get that much use.... the extra cost of the inverter type may not actually save you money.

scotia

The cost of a window unit that has a DC inverted compressor is 5x the cost of the walmart/home depot special compressors units. Yes a DC unit will consume less power but that comes at a cost. I personally would not touch one given the environment that I currently use my standard window shaker in. You can buy a cheap generator for the cost of an inverter type window unit and still come out ahead as well.

Coachgeo

Explorer
The cost of a window unit that has a DC inverted compressor is 5x the cost of the walmart/home depot special compressors units.....
yeah that is why mentioned in my post that it may not be cost effective for some. Now if one is installing solar, buying batteries etc etc.... then the cost may be good cause you need less panels and batteries to run the AC..... or better said.... you might actually be able to run AC off of solar where before there was no way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles