Portable A/C Unit....Gauging Interest

scotia

It would be tough unless the load can significantly be reduced on the a/c unit. The compress under full load will consume just as many amps as a standard non DC compresor. Your inrush would be lower but as the comp would ramp up, you are back to square one. Where it makes the difference it that instead of the DC unit cycling off, it can ramp down as the load decreases. Keep in mind that these are not direct DC unit. They use A/c power and create a DC using SCR's and IGBT's. So you still need a/c power and it better be clean. Line reactors will be needed as well.

scotia

The last of the $75 units are gone. The order went in for more stock and due to the tariffs, the adapters price hike is now $90. Wanted to update so there is no confusion. Thanks.

scotia

I have learned that the window unit that the adapters were modeled after are NO LONGER available. These are the Frigidaire unit mentioned in previous posts. I have found replacement window units and have a new adapter to fit these models. Have also added a few added details to the install to make it more efficient with respect to mixing the supply and return air.

The adapter are now for 5k btu Artic King AKW05CM71-A and the Perfect Aire 4PMC5000. I know the Artic King is available via Amazon and the Perfect Air is available from Tractor Supply. I am currently not recommending the Frigidaire YET, until I have worked out the details on the new model.

There has also be an update to the condenser guard. I offered this as an add on but in a previous post, the poster used a cooking grill to protect the coils. As odd as this sounded, I tried it and this is a perfect fit and available at Home Depot. I cannot make this up. I have used this in both a screw on version and a 3M 30lb double sided tape version and it much safer to use the tape. There is very little room for error with the screw on version. There is the possibility of puncturing a freon tube. I can not compete with this cooking grill as it looks great, fit great, will not hinder flow and is stainless steel all for $18.

Attachments

• pic1.jpeg
    pic1.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 109
  • pic2.jpeg
    pic2.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 109
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    379.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I'll be interested in probably two adapters - later on down the road. Like 4-6 months or so.

I'm restoring a 1972 Superior 22' and instead of the one giant unit on the roof, I think I'd like to split the cabin into two zones. Then with a lot of solar and battery, I might be able to run just one for the rear sleeping compartment at night without firing up the generator.

JCDriller

Adventurer
Scotia, can you link to the Artic King on Amazon? I'm not finding a AKW050CM71-A. Also, what hard start kit did you use to make the unit run better with the little Honda 1000?

I'm trying to decide which generator to purchase. I would like the most efficient unit between the Honda 1000 and 2000, don't really care about cost difference. I would like it to run for 6-8 hours without needing to re-fuel. which do you recommend?

scotia

DHW no worries. I will be around. The hard start kit that I offer and use is the Supco SPP4E. It is the perfect size for this particular usage.

JCDriller. I fat handed the model number above so have corrected it. It is labeled as Artic Wind King. Artic King amazon link.

As for which generator, I would suggest to go with the new Honda 2200i. Same frame size as the older EU2000i but now with more wattage. I say go with the 2kw only because should you purchase the smaller one, you are limited to a 1k watts. You open up your options with a little more weight, a bit more fuel consumption, slightly larger footprint but have the added power in your hands.
As for run time, you should get 6 to 8 hrs of run time but that will depend on load conditions. I have a 6 gallon marine tank connected to our Honda 2kw using an extended use gas cap and I swear it will run for 3 full days on that.

I have been working to construct a wired remote thermostat and an insulation pack. Being able to keep these at a DIY level remains to be seen as well as keeping the costs down. The remote thermostat currently is using a small PLC temp controller and replaces the window unit t-stat. Basically taking the units stat out of the control loop. The once turn knob on the front of the a/c unit then becomes a programmable controller with a 10ft lead. Possibly with a USB charging port. We shall see what comes out of it as I don't want to just use
As for the insulation pack....since the adapter can sweat (humidity dependent), this pack would alleviate most of this and would reduce some of the heat loss adding more BTU's to the ducting. I would offer this for those interested but it is very easy to make by end user. It is made simply by cutting some Reflectix to fit the three sides of the adapter. Simply spray glue them on and done. I am working with someone currently on making a one piece, sewn slip on cover. Should this yield good results, I will fully offer this as a option. The sewn on option will reduce the chance of damage since it can be removed by separating the Velcro. See pic for the Reflectix cut to fit.
Again, trying to keep it as DIY and affordable for the end user...choosing your ducting, power supply, paint colour or what. For those that want a turn key unit, feel free to contact me. Or if you want just and adapter, makes no difference to me.

Attachments

• pic4.jpeg
    pic4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 61

basicfish

Observer
I used the Artic King 5000 btu from Walmart with the old adapter. It was snug but works well.
It also ran well with my eu1000, with out a hard start kit.
And just to see if it would work, I ran it on one of the 900 watt 2 stroke HF generators, it actually worked, I did a 20 min run with it, so I can’t say how long it would last doing it.
I posted some pics a few posts back.
Ron

scotia

Thanks Ron for that. And have confirmed that the new adapters WILL FIT the Frigidaire FRA0511R1 5kbtu unit with the new metal frame. This newer model does NOT have the plastic frame like the previous generation. Customer purchased on amazon and received the updated model. The cooking grill also fits and does require the 3m double sided 30lb tape. There is little room for error should you want to screw the guard into place.

Also there is a weight difference of 3 to 5 lbs between the Artic King/Perfect Aire and the Frigidaire models. If weight is of concern.

Coachgeo

Explorer
3m also makes an outdoor rated double sided tape. Would recommend that. Other stuff will fall apart in UV and then you loose that screen going down the road. Not too cool for the person behind you. still though for that reason I would NOT trust tape. Forces from wind while driving far exceed 60lbs. Maybe strip of angle iron and screw from the top instead of sides where concern was hitting tubes?.... or if the screen is on inside the camper then ignore everything I just said lol

Last edited:

captwoody

Adventurer
Does hard start kit allow you to use eco idle? I have a Ryobi 2300 generator and a 6000btu ac it does not cool on eco idle but when I turn eco idle off it cools fine. Ended up plagiarizing your idea with home depot components to get to where I could cool tent since my AC is to big for your adapter.it was 80 degrees in full sun when I did test.my AC is a GE AHH06 6000 BTU will hard start work with this one?ac gen.jpgac front.jpgtemp.jpg

basicfish

Observer
My set up is a Artic King 5k btu with manual controls, my Honda eu2000i will run in eco mode. Running it on my honda eu1000i I turn eco off.
I do not have a “hard start kit” installed on the AC.

Ron

scotia

Captwoody...Yes the hard start will work on your model but I cannot speak to the eco mode on your particular generator but have heard of issues like this with the Ryobi. With that said....I cannot say that a hard start kit would solve your eco mode problem. Now keep in mind that a hard start kit is better than not having one at all.

Last edited:

JCDriller

Adventurer
We used our kit for the first time this weekend, it worked amazingly well. We were visiting family over Memorial Day so we stayed at a local campground which had 15a service. The AC ran on Low and made our tent and annex room very cool. We had the intake in the annex room and the output in the tent. I couldn't believe the amount of condensation that collected, when I took the AC down water poured out of it.

For hosing I ended up getting These at home depot for about $5 a piece, also grabbed 2 4" pipe clamps found Here.

IMG_2410.jpgIMG_2409.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke