Portable A/C Unit....Gauging Interest

scotia

UPDATE: See page 3 post 34

I have had some interest in an adapter I have had made for a specific window unit which allows ducting to be placed anywhere it can reach and as long as there is 120VAC available for the unit itself. Have two out there at the moment and have been asked if a kit or turn key option can be had. Wanted to run this by the community to see who has or would be interested in A/C.
It is a window unit adapter, have gone through all the testing thus far and works extremely well. Nothing I have found/used even compares.
5000k BTU unit pulls 5amps once started, uses a 4" collapsible polypropylene duct. Duct collapsed length is 18" and extended is 5'. It holds its shape once in place. Specific unit chosen for cost, weight at 36lbs and reliability. Current unit is several years old and being used.
Can be used for a vehicle, ground tent, RTT or whatever you feel the need to condition. The adapter only will be $75 with MINOR unit changes required for fitment or a turn key unit for $400 or so.
Let me know what you all think.

Last edited:

scotia

My dimensions are 18Lx17Wx12H mearured with duct port protrusions. About to upload a few pics. And just weight unit with ducting

Adapter is attached using 5 self tapping sheet metal screws and is baffled internally to separate supply and return air. This allows the air the circulate through the unit continually conditioning the air. In my JB Grand Raid XXL, here in hot humid Houston, 100° day in direct sunlight I am able to achieve 76° inside temp during peak day load. At night with no sun load you best have a winter sleeping bag. Best of all its a very quiet unit.

scotia

Pics here. With respect to konakid(my fav city in the big island) no the adapter will not fit your unit. My adapter is model specific. I use a Frigidaire FFRA0511R1. I believe GE make same. Cheap and can be had just about anywhere. Cheap enough that should it die, its cheap to replace.

20170805_123731.jpg

20170805_125217.jpg

20170805_125329.jpg

20170805_125549.jpg

20170805_125517.jpg

The pipingor duct installs by "Threading" it on counter clockwise to the protruding 4" ports and is removed in the opposite manner. The baffling as seen in the pic is sealed internally and foam lined to create seal against unit face. Control knobs are recessed and are kept out of the weather. I can and may offer a remote thermostat if there is a desire. Basically will allow temp control from inside the conditioned space. I personnally set it and forget it.
As mentioned, will offer all items separetly if wanted or turn key. Will also offer an improved condenset fin guard for the rear fins. Out of the box it just has a 1"x1" wire screen. I can offer something a little more robust if need be.
With my current JB Grand Raid, I place this unit on the "roof Storage" are ontop a cheap mat to prevent any scratching. I know everyone uses a different sleeping arrangment so as stated, use in a vehicle for me is this. My 80 has windows that open down both sides of the rig. I throw that unit on the roof, put one pipe on drivers side and one on passenger side with a cardboard cutout and done. Some days it looks like hell but when it 90 degrees at the beach while fishing, my nights are a cool and crisp while sleeping. This system DOES SWEAT depending on location humidity. I have had no issue however.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Thanks we got Mauied and go back every 5 yrs for our anniversary, one of my favorites as well. I do have a GE 5k but my 8k is a through the wall and has AC/Heat as shown. I do like your adapter though. You might be competing with Climateright, might just want to sell the adapters only, as I gave $100 for my 5k unit. Great job.

Attachments

• kitchenfinal.jpg
    kitchenfinal.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 515
Last edited:

scotia

Thanks and not trying to compete per se just trying to get weight and cost down and footprint. I have an overland trailer so I have the space but some do not. Footprint matters. I can also offer each part individually for budget minded home builders as well. The adapter is the heart of the process.
With that, a trip to any Home Depot and for less than $175, and you could be cooling yourself on the cheap....provided you have a power source. Now you won't have the poly ducting though but rather the aluminium dryer duct. I am special ordering that polypropylene ducting through a supplier. It's life is 100's longer than drier duct.
Believe it or not, on a surf fishing trip mid August a while back, wife had a migraine. Confined to the RTT, the 68° tent saved not only my wife's discomfort but the entire trip.
For those that are water conscious, the condensate water can be collected and run through a filter or hot water shower system. Volume of water output dependent on humidity. This unit has a water pick up condenser fan. Meaning it picks up some of the condensate water and throws it into the condenser coil to reduce head pressure. This is how small window unit companies can reduce their power consumption numbers. Less head pressure means less work for that compressor. Reduced load reduces power consumption numbers.

***My Unit is a COOL ONLY unit.

The Artisan

Adventurer
That's awesome man and well thought out. Should do well with them. So $75 + shipping for the adapter? its an 5kGE as stated. I might need one for a office in my shop.
Kevin

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I use the same A/C unit in the van. I pulled the cover for inspection when it was new and don't see any reason that it would not hold up to bouncing around. It's not as strong as the dash AC when but it's good. You say it pulls 5 amps running and my Honda 2000 runs it so easy. I wonder if a 1000 Honda would run it? Start up is when it pulls more juice than 5 amps. The 2000 will run it on the lower RPM Eco mode but will not always start it. I let mine start and run for a while on regular mode then switch it to Eco mode. To prevent it from cycling the thermostat is set to 65. Good luck with your product. Mine has been a great little unit so I'm sure your duct kit will help those that need the AC.

Jeffer949

Observer
You read my mind!!!! Me and my wife sold our house a month ago and are now renting a duplex. We where able to completely become debt free with this option. Which I love. I did kinda get the short end on the stick for the garage though. I had a 2 car detached garage that was insulated and had heat and AC. Now I have a 1 car that isn't heated or cooled. And I have tons of work to do on cars/bikes and I dont do it because its so freaking hot. I dont like the idea or the expense of a portable unit. Especially the single hose units. Doesn't make sense to waste cooled air to cool the unit. I was contemplating doing something just like this and making an adaptor for an entry door. And then it would be usable in a future camper/RTT also. If you have these available soon I would be interested. The price is right for sure. Not worth me making my own.

scotia

Adapters are available now as are the full turnkey units. About a week to assemble once ordered.

Running Watts was measure at 384W or 4A(PF of .8). Checked the inrush/starting amp draw and varies from 17A to 22A after ten runs using a Honda Eu2000. This was also tested during the units on/off cycle when teperature setpoint is met. With this said 17A with power factor of 0.8 makes 1632 Amps and 22A with same PF makes 2112 Amps.The Honda started the unit in both Eco and standard modes. I am planning to install a hard start kit and take measurement again. An inexpensive hard start kit will shorten and reduce the inrush current. This may reduce it enough to run less than a 2kw generator. Will update this later in the week. Should the results prove as a major benefit, I will install these in my turn key setups or provide the info for the home builders.

Jeffer949

Observer
I know you haven't tested on these models but It looks like it will work on all of these. All are the same 16x12 front grill. Some have higher cfm but the biggest thing is 2 of them have remotes!!

ScreenShot133.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles