Dometic CFX-50 vs Dometic CFX-65DZ

eaneumann

Adventurer
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I'm just looking for any thoughts on this. I'm really set on the Dometic, for the price and features I don't think it can be beat and I really like how it opens. I think the layout of the 50 is more useable, but the dual zone could be useful. The cost is very close, not really an issue. Space/power is also not an issue.

We have never used or seen in person a fridge. It's just my wife and I, we've been using a 50qt cooler for years. The cooler is pretty tight for us for a week of travel, but that's with ice. I've read that the dual zone is kind of useless, but that's just online reviews. Let me know what you think. I've been pondering this for years and want to get something before our next trip. Sick of over analyzing it!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v_man

Explorer
We recently purchased a Dometic 50 qt. First off we love it and it has been a great addition to our camping/traveling repertoire.

In some brief experimenting, we've found that we can set the cooler below freezing, say low 20's, and items on the bottom of the fridge will stay frozen. Liquids nearer the top, and in the little side tray, will be close to freezing or only slightly frosty. The point is that items nearer the bottom and sides tend to stay cooler than items higher up. It's sort of like a poor man's dual zone. But I agree, we couldn't think of a situation where we needed a dedicated dual zone, but perhaps others will chime in and tell you why you can't live without a freezing compartment....

lostwolfak

We bought the CFX-65DZ this past Spring and absolutely love it. For camping, tailgating and road trips; I built a transport platform for it in on the bench seat of the van and wired a 12v outlet near it which connects to the ArkPak. In the house, we have used it in the garage, basement and on the patio, depending on the event. This unit is quiet, durable and reliable. The capacity is excellent and will certainly maintain the desired temperature, in both the freezer and refrigerator sections. For 2 people, the capacity of this unit allows us to carry everything we need on our 3-4 day trips.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Thanks for the input! Would you guys be willing to take some interior pictures?

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a Dometic 65 and sometimes use the dual zone. I still use a regular ice chest for drinks. Nothing sucks like watered down food from an ice chest, nothing is better than iced cooled drinks. I use the freezer to store 2 bags of ice and still have plenty of room for food. On road trips with no camping I just use the fridge. The only issue I have with the Dometic is its battery protection mode and the Goal Zero Yeti 400 don't seem to like each other. I wish there was a way to over ride that function. I have heard that if you use the 110 output to power the fridge that it will not go into protection mode. I have not tried that yet for a long run test.

Last edited:

eaneumann

Adventurer
I have a Dometic 65 and sometimes use the dual zone. I still use a regular ice chest for drinks. Nothing sucks like watered down food from an ice chest, nothing is better than iced cooled drinks. I use the freezer to store 2 bags of ice and still have plenty of room for food. On road trips with no camping I just use the fridge. The only issue I have with the Dometic is its battery protection mode and the Goal Zero Yeti 400 don't seem to like each other. I wish there was a way to over ride that function. I have heard that if you use the 110 output to power the fridge that it will not go into protection mode. I have not tried that yet for a long run test.

How many people do you have using it? Do you use the freezer section enough to feel that it's worth its space? Is it easy to just take out the freezer section? Hopefully the protection mode is a non issue with just dual batteries. Sucks about the Goal Zero though, that would be a cool option. Thanks!

dcg141

Adventurer
Its really big and its usually just me and my wife so we have plenty of room for several days. You can pull out the section for dual zone quicker than I typed this sentence. You know after I wrote that I went over my owners manual for at least the 4th or 5th time and see now there is a threshold setting for the battery and mine was set high for the most battery protection. Had it a year now and just figured that out.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Awesome, thank you! Does the dual zone have a drain plug? I saw a review on YouTube that said it didn't, but the pictures I've seen of the 50 has one.

dcg141

Adventurer
Its really big and its usually just me and my wife so we have plenty of room for several days. You can pull out the section for dual zone quicker than I typed this sentence. You know after I wrote that I went over my owners manual for at least the 4th or 5th time and see now there is a threshold setting for the battery and mine was set high for the most battery protection. Had it a year now and just figured that out.

Went on a long Labor Day camping, kayaking trip and never had the fridge shut off. It will run much longer on a charge with the Yeti 400 now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke