Avion C-11 Resto-Mod

eNVe

I was browsing the forums, like I usually do, and I came across my camper! Well, my camper before I owned it. (http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/127162-Vintage-Avion-C11-Project) I saw this thread, and was like, "Hey! That's the camper I just bought!" It was pretty much in the same condition as it was in that thread when I got it, so I think they guy lost interest when he stopped posting about it.

AvionDayOne.jpg
Day One - 1968 Avion C-11 and 1974 Ford F250 Ranger Camper Special

AvionTag.jpg
The Avion's tag.

I picked this up a few weeks ago from a guy who picked it up from someone else in Tennessee a little over a year ago. It is a 1968 Avion C-11 Truck Camper. The truck is a 1974 Ford F250 Ranger Camper Special. I really only wanted the camper, but I didn't have a truck that could carry it, so I bought the truck too. I probably paid too much for both, but I did get the guy to deliver them to my house.

I love the condition that the camper is in. I have always liked this style (my wife hates it), and I have always wanted to do my own version of a restoration (which my wife is pretty much on board with). I always feel guilty about wanting to do a resto-mod on nice examples of cars/bikes/whatever, but this one is starting out as a turd so I don't feel so bad about changing it up!

AvionInteriorStart.jpg
The inside that I started with.

AvionCaboverMess.jpg
Cabover full of junk.

The camper was sort of stripped out when I bought it. It was full of "extra parts." Which, to me, was mostly trash. The entire cabover area was stuffed with foam insulation and leftover scraps from previous "renovations" of the camper. It took me 15 trash bags to clear out all the junk I did not want. My trash man wont take it if it isn't in a bag.

None of the original interior was left. Except for one thing: The wall that still held the toilet paper holder... it was just laying in there amongst the other garbage. Why? Why?! Why was it the only piece of the interior they kept?! They didn't even keep any of the holding tanks or the potty, but they kept the toilet paper holder! Needless to say... I have also kept it.

I pretty much hate everything that the previous owner(s) have done to the camper:
  • It has had portions of it re-skinned with solid-head tube rivets (not like the original solid rivets).
  • Most of the patches were done with pop-rivets, and "sealed" with caulk.
AvionApplianceHole.jpg
The hole where I believe the furnace used to live. No cover remains.

• It was "sealed" with what appears to be caulk on the inside, and paint on the outside. Not sure how well it is sealed because there are holes everywhere from fixtures being removed.
  • The north-south orientation of the cabover bed is going back to east-west.
  • I don't care for the aluminum cupboards/closets/storage thingies that were created and put in the cabover.
AvionOutsideLED.jpg
One of the outside LED lights. No pass throughs here. We use PVC elbows to run wires through the fuselage. :(

HahaAvionShorePower.jpg
Haha.. yes, children, this is shore power.

AvionWireMess01.jpg
And this is the power control center... *shudder*

AvionWireMess02.jpg
Pretty much all of it looks like this.

• The wiring... omg the wiring! LEDs? Awesome. Everything else... I shudder. I am actually afraid to plug this thing into anything. The LEDs and wiring will be removed and redone. Properly. To something resembling a Code.
I know. So far, pretty negative, huh? I have to determine what is wrong before I can decide how to make it right. So, my list of things to address before I even start on installing an interior:
  • It needs a new floor - I will not patch it.
  • All the holes in the fuselage need to be addressed.
  • I need to straighten/smooth out the fuselage and clean it up. I plan on painting (NOT bedliner) because the aluminum is heavily pitted. Painting will be one of the last things (after the interior is finished).
  • It will need new windows, as much of the glass is hazy and/or brown. Surprisingly, all of the windows operate flawlessly, and all of the original handles are there. At least, I think they are the original handles.
  • The cabover will need reinforcement. I can already see several places where it has ripped the aluminum because it is sagging.
  • Re-wire.
Plans for the resto-mod aside from the above fixes:
  • Must sleep 5, minimum.
  • Must have potty.
  • Must have shower.
  • Would like to have air conditioning/heat.
  • Maybe a fridge.
  • ??
The plans will likely change many times. I will be taking the whole build slow. I am short on time and money, and I want to do a good job. If it turns out half as good as my vision for it, the camper will be a show-stopper. :)

Stitch

Nate, there are plenty of us interested in how your build progresses. I'd personally like to see the old girl returned to full splendor.

Another ReStart

Interesting thread. I wonder how many hands this old Avion has been in? Seems like many a restore has been started. Take it slow but very steady and you and it should both come out a winner and I bet your wife will come to appreciate it when everyone wants a tour and she takes some pride in it. The options we have now compared to when it was built allow you to do some very nice things that people won't necessarily see from the exterior.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Awesome. I saw the previous thread on it. Looks like it's in the right hands now. I have 2 Airstreams going through renovation right now. My 29' had an interior fire so was totally gutted. All new wiring, insulation and interior skin. All exterior pop rivets were replaced with proper aircraft dome head rivets. It's a ton of work, but so worth it in the long run. I would have an Avion camper too, but my wife also hates them.

Please keep your thread updated. I'd love to see the progress!

eNVe

No real updates as of yet. The weather and work have been conspiring against me. I can say that it is currently not sealed. All the rain we have had in the past couple of weeks goes right into the shell. Fortunately, there isn't anything to damage in there.

I look forward to getting some real work done on this camper. I feel that it resonates with me. In high school, I worked at the local airfield servicing airplanes (with a certified mechanic checking my work, of course). I went to college for aerospace engineering initially (ended up going a different route later). While in college, I was pretty active in the SCA and worked for a buddy making medieval armor. The real stuff. For combat. In the Navy, I was an Electronics Technician. And now, I work as a Quality Engineer.

Planes, metal working, electrical, and quality. It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Stitch, thanks for the vote of confidence!

NorthwestNorthernOntario, part of the reason I got the go ahead is because I said she gets to help decide the outcome. She still doesn't quite get my sense of asthetics, but that is okay. I have always been a bit of an anachronist. I am looking forward to modernizing the old girl, though.

redthies, thanks! I would love to get my hands on a '30s Airstream Clipper. I think they are absolutely beautiful. I also love the look of the early Spartans. Unfortunately, my HOA wouldn't let me park one in my yard, otherwise I would own one. Where did you source your rivets?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I deal with Dimitri at Silver Trailer Supply in Salt Lake City for small quantities, but Aircraft Spruce is the place if you need a bunch of stuff. I just ordered some 1/8 x 3/4 dome heads from Aircraft today. I need 40 for a window, but the minimum is 1 pound or 750. Anyone need 700 rivets? It's only $19 so no big loss. I'll just have to do more trailers!

benjamin

Observer
The opening on the drivers side rear was access/vent door for a gas electric fridge, right side rear (patched over) water heater and right front was originally propane access door.
There's a forum going over on rv net dedicated to Avion/Cayo truck campers with tons of information abt. these campers https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25053498/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1
unfortunately because of Photobucket most all pics are gone.
The original floor and wings are a composite, ply-foam-ply 1 1/2" thick, replace with two layers of 3/4" ply.
I did the composite on mine and although it's lite it's not all that solid underfoot and any leaks, you will have them, find they're way into the composite.

Any help needed just let me know.
Dennis

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In about the mid 70's I had a chance to buy an Avion mounted on a a late 60's 3/4 ton GMC with a 292 workhorse I-6. 4-speed on the floor. The combo drove well considering no power steering. It was a real muscle builder.
I'm 6'4" and as I remember headroom was a bit scarce for me. I love those things. The inside was so nicely done.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A very mint and original one of these just listed on Portland Oregon Craigslist this morning. He's asking $3800. Someone should nab it!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I tried to post it but couldn't get it to copy and paste. If he goes to Portland Craigslist and searches for "Avion" it comes up right away.

eNVe

Whew. I have been busy these past few weeks. Still no progress, but after a slew of birthdays, there are several family members a year older! Part of the delay has to do with the agreement made with my wife. I have to finish all of the yard projects first before I can start on the camper. I still go out and visit it every now and then. That way it doesn't feel left out. Most of my family cannot understand my obsession with the camper.

redthies, thanks for the sources! They will be very helpful. Do you have a recommendation on a rivet gun? I am used to doing it by hand, but there are a lot more rivets than I want to do by hand. I have an air hammer, but I feel that it may be a bit excessive.

benjamin, thanks for the link. I've been to that site. I actually had a chance to browse it well before the infamous Photobucket c0ckblock. I had been researching vintage aluminum campers for years. I just did not want to go out of my way to obtain one. This one was less than an hour away from me, so I pounced on it.

Here's the link for the Portland ad: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/rvs/d/avion-camper-1967-only-2/6289984781.html

It looks to be very original, but I would not say that it is in great shape. It had been well used, but doesn't appear to be far gone. It looks like a mild refresh will get it back in order. I could be a great project for someone wanting to do a original restoration.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Aircraft Spruce sells guns for around $150 I think? I only have a hammer myself and although I can feather the throttle a bit, I wouldn't trust it for rivets. Luckily a friend is an even bigger nerd and is building an aluminum skin plane in his shop so I borrow his gun at the moment. We both figure the only real difference between the proper rivet gun, and the hammer is the ability to control airflow in the rivet gun while the hammer is an on/off type unit. Outwardly they are identical. I may buy another hammer from the local surplus place for $15 and try to grind the trigger piston and see if I can ramp it a bit.

I also bought a cheap HF air riveter for the pop rivets on the interior and it is standing up well. It is a big help when re-skinning the whole interior.

Do you plan to polish the exterior? They look amazing when that's done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier