So it begins....new life to a old van.

cruiser812

Observer
So I took the plunge and bought a van. At first I wasn't looking for a van at all but a truck. This seemed to prove difficult for the price point I was looking in. It seems that everyone thinks that their truck with 200K on the clock is worth its weight in gold. After months of searching I had given up...... in comes the van. A 1999 Ford E350 V10 with only 56000 mi on the odometer and best of all I know it entire history. It was a special order from the factory purchased by my grandfather brand new. He specified all the options to set it up specifically for towing his travel trailer around the country when him and my grandmother were traveling. Recently the van has just been sitting rarely used after my grandfather passed and grandmother occasionally drove it to go to the store. I have been borrowing It to move and tow around my gear and decided I wanted to add it to the fleet and buy it (with everyone's input on my thread Ford V10 advice).

angled driver_edited.jpg

Overall it is in really good shape for its age with just a few little quirks. The first step is to get it all sorted out and back up to spec....... with a few improvements.

rex_1_mn

Observer
Looks to be a full float 60 rear. If he used it for towing probably geared pretty deep with limited slip. Sure will nice as a 4x4.... wink wink

cruiser812

Observer
Step 1: Ditch the old console.

Van Console Old.jpg

So this console has been bothering me the entire time I was driving it prior to buying it officially. I can not tell you how many times I took a turn or hit the gas and my cup would come flying at me. You can probably see the stains on the carpet from this happening. When It soaked me with liquid driving back from lunch its fate was sealed. I knew right then that this was the first thing to go. Searching other threads I saw people could find them on ebay so that's where I started. Unfortunately the price was not what I was seeing everyone was saying but I didn't care. I broke out the card and paid the little extra.

new console1.jpg

Shipping was fast and was so happy to see it. It is from a '08 I believe. Other threads said that it would fit so I was in a hurry to install it. It was probably the easiest install that I could have done and by far worth every penny. If you are on the fence I highly recommend that you just go ahead and do it. It updates the van interior and gives you so much more functional storage for your small items. The install was straight forward as you just lift the old console up towards the ceiling and it comes off, even if its like mine and has some soda acting like a little glue. Luckily very easy to clean up as it was a new occurrence. Glad that my grandparents never used the cupholders as they had made a wood platform to keep their drinks on between the seats. It was an ingenious solution and always wondered why they never used the holders lol.
doghouse.jpg

Here it is installed. Instant facelift and love. The color isn't perfect but its so close that it doesn't really matter.
newconsole1.jpgconsole new2.jpg

cruiser812

Observer
The mirrors on the van were in relatively good shape for their age cosmetically, however, one of the mirrors would only move in one direction and the other only in 3 directions. Based on my experience with old electrics, and the fact that I had to re attach one of the pieces of glass to the passenger mirror when i picked it up, I assumed that one was broken and that the mirror switch was probably bad as well. So i decided to replace them both with newer econoline tow mirrors. I was able to source some aftermarket OE style power mirrors from amazon for not to bad of a price. The first step was to remove the old mirrors from the van. I decided to document this in case anyone else is wanting info on the swap. There is probably a thread somewhere but i didn't find it on my search. There is a video that is on youtube detailing a mirror swap on a motorhome that is along the same lines as what i have done but just with much larger RV tow mirrors that i found very helpful.
van_mirror1.jpg

Before removing mirror you have to take apart the door panel to access the bolts that hold the mirror in place. There are a total of 3 on the 1999 econolines. The black panel close to the pillar just pops right off to expose 2 of the bolts but the last bolt requires that you remove the entire door panel to access. Being that I have power windows need access to the connector hidden up in the front of the door to unplug and rewire.

Here you can see the panel covering the last nut that needs to be removed to detach the old mirror.
mirror_bolts.jpg

The door panel itself is held onto the door by 4 screws; 1 below the mirror, behind the door release, behind the power lock and window panel, and at the bottom right of the panel behind a circular cap. Removing these are pretty straight forward by inserting a flathead screwdriver into the slots and pushing in and prying them up. I made sure to use caution as I have broken many clips on vehicles as the plastic is brittle on older vehicles. Once these are removed you just pull the panel up to release it from the slots in the door that plastic tabs are secured in and then lift off.

(Door handle screw)
doorpullscrew.jpg

(Screw removed behind power controls panel)
pwrlockscrew.jpg

The panel removed gives access to the speaker which i removed for access to the power mirror wires. I was peeling the plastic off at first, which is unnecessary if you just go through the speaker hole. I removed my speakers as an after thought. They had dry rotted in the van producing horrible distortion so i decided to replace them while i was in there rather than go through the process of removing the panel one more time.

(Panel removed for wire access and mirror removal)
panel removed.jpg

Once all this is completed it is a pretty straight forward removal of the mirror by loosing the nuts and removing the mirror. One helpful trick i learned it to have the window down so that you can just reach through to hold the mirror in place and prevent it from crashing down to the ground. I know this seems pretty straight forward but when you start working outside in 97% humidity and 90* F you tend to focus on other things like why cant i breathe and where is a towel lol. All the southern showers don't help the situation. Once the mirror was removed I took the new mirror and held it up to the old mirrors location. As the new mirror was a 4 stud vs 3 stud design I knew some drilling would be in order. The top and bottom stud line up with existing mirror holes but need to be enlarged to accommodate the new mirror studs. I used a sharpie to mark the locations of the two new holes that needed drilled out and used a drill bit to create a pilot hole and a step bit to enlarge them to the appropriate size.

bolt markings.jpg

After drilling the outer side of the door i realized that there is a support in the way of the new hold second from the bottom that was creating an issue. Rather than deal with compromising the integrity of the door itself i just removes the offending mirror stud with a reciprocating saw. I believe on some mirrors it is just a stud but on my particular mirrors it was a cast piece that had approximately a 2" stud screwed into the casting. After that it was just and easy bolt the mirror up utilizing the old or newly supplied hardware. You well need some large washers to put on the studs in the inner side of the door panel to hold the mirror for the existing holes as they were large to accommodate the hold hardware that sat inside the door. The new bolts sit on top of the inner door skin. If your studs aren't long enough you can unscrew them a bit and use nuts as spacers then tighten them back down making the study and locking them into place.

The wiring can be a bit tedious as you have to cut off the old mirror wires and wire them to the new mirrors. For my van the connector was a stock 3 prong vs a 6 prong on the new mirror. It was at this time i installed a new mirror switch as the mirrors were not function properly with the faulty switch. Once all wiring is done just test everything before you button the door panels up

Here is the finished product. Tow mirrors on my 1999 van.
mirrors installed.jpg

cruiser812

Observer
I also ended up purchasing a yakima rack to be able to transport kayaks around. The install was pretty easy but the rack does create and audible wind note while moving which can be annoying. Luckily with the new speakers installed i can just turn up the radio :)

rack installed.jpg

86scotty

Cynic
Great looking van. I've always liked the late model RB passenger vans. They have a classic look to them. You're only wheels and tires away from near perfection IMO.

cruiser812

Observer
Great looking van. I've always liked the late model RB passenger vans. They have a classic look to them. You're only wheels and tires away from near perfection IMO.

Thanks. I really would like to convert it to 4x4 with the u joint kit. On the look out for and axle and transfer case to rebuild. Still have a few other things to take care of before that can happen. Next step is to replace the door cables. The interior handles on the rear cargo and passenger side cargo have broken so i can only open the doors from the outside. trying to locate a good place to pick them up from.

cruiser812

Observer

Thanks. I really would like to convert it to 4x4 with the u joint kit. On the look out for and axle and transfer case to rebuild. Still have a few other things to take care of before that can happen. Next step is to replace the door cables. The interior handles on the rear cargo and passenger side cargo have broken so i can only open the doors from the outside. Trying to locate a good place to pick them up from as well as the part numbers.

86scotty

Cynic
They are probably just popped loose. Pull the trim and see how the cables/rods route and clip into place. It may be a simple fix. They like to come loose on older vans.
The rear door takes a little contorsionism. If I recall you've got to take the license tray out from the outside to really get in there depending on what's wrong.

FDM2012

Adventurer
Sweet ride. It's gonna look great with 35's and a 6'' lift!

It's cool to see another Florida rig being built.

Do you know of any "on the beach" campsites up towards your area? Might be cool sometime to
get a group gathering together. Once the weather is more temperature conducive, that is.

Sometimes, it's just the cable ends that break.

#BeenThereDoneThat

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F150-F...ash=item238a18938d:g:ltoAAOSwOVpXXR2H&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

cruiser812

Observer
I do not really know any spots as of yet. St George is about the only close to beach camping i know of currently. I havent been in Tallahassee long and works been keeping me busy.

You are right about the cable ends. They are broken at the ends. I hope to dig back into the van this weekend that is if i dont take it to the St george for some surf fishing and maybe camping if the girlfriend is up for it. She is used to northern summers with essentially no humidity compared to here.

Getting some good tint that will block some of the heat is a must. I have good things about xpel prime xr tint but the closet place that sells and installs is in the destin area

86scotty

Cynic
Anything dark works for me, then cut some Reflectix for the windows when parked. I leave it in some of my rear windows even when driving. Makes a BIG difference.

cruiser812

Observer
So i put the van to work this weekend pulling my new expedition vehicle home. It was pushing the upper limits of the towing capacity of the van but it handled it great. Bad news is that a 3 hour trip took 7. The tires looked in good shape but ended up having three tires fail on I-10. You can typically only change one blowout, but you can fix flats. I wasnt the only one having issues as i passed so many cars with flats on the interstate and a few big rigs flopped over. Im going to attribute this all to the solar eclipse lol.

Van_pulling_grady.jpg

I do have to say the the fuel economy hurt at around 6 mpg but not bad for pulling almost 10K. The bad news is that i started smelling coolant a few miles from the house but the van was running cool. I was leaking coolant from somewhere and haven had a chance to look over it. I have a feeling its the water pump as i am hearing a rattle that accelerates with the motor. It was faint but now a bit more pronounced. I guess i will find out this weekend when i dive into it as i can use the boat without a tow vehicle. Of course i also have to do some repairs on the boat as well being 24 years old and saltwater used.

cruiser812

Observer
So i put the van to work this weekend pulling my new expedition vehicle home. It was pushing the upper limits of the towing capacity of the van but it handled it great. Bad news is that a 3 hour trip took 7. The tires looked in good shape but ended up having three tires fail on I-10. You can typically only change one blowout, but you can fix flats. I wasnt the only one having issues as i passed so many cars with flats on the interstate and a few big rigs flopped over. Im going to attribute this all to the solar eclipse lol.

View attachment 415229

I do have to say the the fuel economy hurt at around 6 mpg but not bad for pulling almost 10K. The bad news is that i started smelling coolant a few miles from the house but the van was running cool. I was leaking coolant from somewhere and haven had a chance to look over it. I have a feeling its the water pump as i am hearing a rattle that accelerates with the motor. It was faint but now a bit more pronounced. I guess i will find out this weekend when i dive into it as i can use the boat without a tow vehicle. Of course i also have to do some repairs on the boat as well being 24 years old and saltwater used.

Well, it turns out the coolant was just a small leak from the rear heater hose so it was repaired with no issues and the rattle was a piece of the old belt hitting something. The van is running great and even put some new hub caps on her. The bad news is that i have decided to sell her and go the 4x4 truck route. Any ideas of what a 1999 v10 e350 with 58K on the clock goes for these days?

brianpeck

I also ended up purchasing a yakima rack to be able to transport kayaks around. The install was pretty easy but the rack does create and audible wind note while moving which can be annoying. Luckily with the new speakers installed i can just turn up the radio :)
When you've got nothing on the racks, wrap a bungee around the front one in a helix to get rid of that wind noise!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke