What vehicle is right for me

vartz04

Adventurer
I currently have a FWD 2014 Ford explorer that is a company vehicle. It works for most things but isn't really what i would want. I was a truck guy and always had a pickup (had 3 rangers, a dakota, 3 silverados, and a F150) after not having a pickup for the past 2 years ive realized that with my small trailer I don't really need one, although it would be nice to have. Outside of a pickup (and even that really doesn't fit what I am looking for) i have no idea what i should buy. The company is switching me to a vehicle allowance in the next 6 months or so (I can make the switch sooner if i want to)

So here is what I think i need
- 4WD or AWD able to handle some all terrain tires and mild offroading to get to more remote camp sites ect.
- Room for camping gear for up to 5 days and 4 people in the car (Can utilize rooftop/cargo racks if needed but still would want my fridge and/or RTIC 45 in the car
- 22 Plus MPG highway, more is better
- Able to tow 2-3K lbs
- Able to handle a roof rack for my kayak, bikes, ect. as well as potentially a RTT if i go that route.
- Under $22K (new or used)
- Under 50K miles on it

what suggestions do you guys have?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I currently have a FWD 2014 Ford explorer that is a company vehicle. It works for most things but isn't really what i would want. I was a truck guy and always had a pickup (had 3 rangers, a dakota, 3 silverados, and a F150) after not having a pickup for the past 2 years ive realized that with my small trailer I don't really need one, although it would be nice to have. Outside of a pickup (and even that really doesn't fit what I am looking for) i have no idea what i should buy. The company is switching me to a vehicle allowance in the next 6 months or so (I can make the switch sooner if i want to)

So here is what I think i need

what suggestions do you guys have?
Magic? A deal with the devil? A perpetual motion machine powered by unicorn farts?
:D Sorry, just busting your chops a little. Here's the issue I see:

- 4WD or AWD able to handle some all terrain tires and mild offroading to get to more remote camp sites ect.
- Room for camping gear for up to 5 days and 4 people in the car (Can utilize rooftop/cargo racks if needed but still would want my fridge and/or RTIC 45 in the car
- 22 Plus MPG highway, more is better
- Able to tow 2-3K lbs
- Able to handle a roof rack for my kayak, bikes, ect. as well as potentially a RTT if i go that route.
- Under $22K (new or used)
- Under 50K miles on it
I can't think of anything that meets all those requirements. 4 people and their gear? Do you mean adult people? Because that means at minimum a mid-sized SUV or pickup and there's no way in hell you're getting 22mpg with one of those at $22k.
You need to adjust your criteria. You either need to decrease your MPG requirement, decrease your people requirement, or greatly increase your money. A full size diesel 4x4 pickup can carry 4, haul your trailer and still get you close to 22mpg but it's going to be close to double your budget.
An AWD mini-van might get close to some of your requirements but they usually have crappy ground clearance and no practical way to increase it, plus you're not getting 22mpg in one of those, either. 16 or 18 is more likely and that is with nothing on the roof.
A Suburban/Tahoe/Expedition/Yukon will get you every one of your requirements except for the MPG.
Now, if the 4 people in the vehicle are 2 adults and 2 kids, then you would likely be able to get them into a mid-sized SUV like the 4runner or Xterra or the R51 Pathfinder, all of which can be found in your budget.
But again, that MPG requirement....the only way to get that is to go to something like a Subaru and even then, 22 might be pushing it. Also Subarus aren't highly rated for towing, I'd say 2500 is probably the max they can tow safely. And while Subarus are OK for the occasional fire road or dirt road, don't think of a Subaru as an "off road" or trail vehicle.
My recommendation is that you drop the MPG requirement because it pretty much contradicts every one of your other requirements. A 4runner, Xterra or R51 Pathfinder can return a genuine 18 - 21 MPG on the highway if you baby it.
Now, FWIW I've gotten 18.5 MPG in my 2004 Suburban on two occasions which were highway driving with no trailer. You'd be surprised how well those big SUVs do on the highway in terms of MPG. But just realize that when you get into the city stop-and-go traffic, your MPG will plummet like a rock. I'm lucky to get 12mpg in town.

perterra

Adventurer
I'd increase the money and decrease fuel mileage, 4 door F-150 with base line 3.5 V6 (no turbo). My 16 XLT will return 22 mpg all day long and hit as high as 26 on the interstate at lower speeds (65). Now mine is 2WD, so deduct a couple mpg and it's still pretty impressive.

My wifes Outback does a decent job on our #1800 trailer and gets very good mpg on the highway. As high as 30 mpg, but add a roof rack and bigger tires and I would bet it's in the low 20's highway.

vartz04

Adventurer
Okay a couple clarifications

It's 2 adults and 2 kids in car seats. (2.5 and 1 years old)

A lot of the time it will be me and 1 of the boys or in a couple years both of them. Wife will come on rare occasion

The MPGs are for empty daily driving. If it goes from 24 to 17 loaded I don't care much as it's only a couple times a year I take a trip like that. I'd be willing to go down to 20 mpgs unloaded highway real world numbers but not really any less.

TripLeader

Explorer
The new Honda Ridgeline fits your specs, except being about $10k over budget. Maybe wait a year to buy a used model?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The MPGs are for empty daily driving. If it goes from 24 to 17 loaded I don't care much as it's only a couple times a year I take a trip like that. I'd be willing to go down to 20 mpgs unloaded highway real world numbers but not really any less.
That limits your options to pretty much a Subaru or similar crossover-type car. A body-on-frame SUV like a 4runner is going to struggle to hit 20 in daily driving. And if you put any kind of mods on it (mild lift, bigger tires, any kind of armor) forget about hitting 20 except in unloaded freeway driving.
From what I recall, a single-cab Tacoma with a 4 cyl and 5 speed will get 25 MPG all day long but there's not much room for kiddos. It's too bad they don't make a stripped-down 4runner with a 4 cyl and 5 speed anymore because that would be ideal.
Maybe try renting an Outback if you can to see if it will work for you? My brother tells me he gets impressive mileage numbers in his 2010 Outback wagon and it's surprisingly big inside. I'll bet you can find one for under $20k although it may have high miles on it. You won't be doing any serious off-roading with it but it should hit most of your other marks (the only one I'm unsure about is price.)

Stryder106

Explorer
You should take a hard look at an Avalanche - plenty big for 4 and all gear and can tow and can get 20mpg and used will cost you well under $22K. Mods are hard to achieve though.............ask me how I know.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
That limits your options to pretty much a Subaru or similar crossover-type car. A body-on-frame SUV like a 4runner is going to struggle to hit 20 in daily driving. And if you put any kind of mods on it (mild lift, bigger tires, any kind of armor) forget about hitting 20 except in unloaded freeway driving.
From what I recall, a single-cab Tacoma with a 4 cyl and 5 speed will get 25 MPG all day long but there's not much room for kiddos. It's too bad they don't make a stripped-down 4runner with a 4 cyl and 5 speed anymore because that would be ideal.
Maybe try renting an Outback if you can to see if it will work for you? My brother tells me he gets impressive mileage numbers in his 2010 Outback wagon and it's surprisingly big inside. I'll bet you can find one for under $20k although it may have high miles on it. You won't be doing any serious off-roading with it but it should hit most of your other marks (the only one I'm unsure about is price.)
I have a 2010 OB its my daily, we also use it on short camping trips. Rear seat is big for a car that size.
My only caution is load weight limits. Its easy to find your self hitting the bump stops. Also big caution, the cvt transmission is good and had a 100k 10yr Subaru warranty recently because dealers were ripping owners off who had failed torque converters caused by the wrong material used in a pressure plate causing the converter to lock up and not release. No issue with the cvt its self.

Ive found it has been good though not geared right in reverese that was fixed in the 15's. I get 23-24mpg around town, 26-32mpg road trips no roof rack gear. 21-22mpg towing the 4x6 900-1300lb trailer, 18mpg trailer and mt bikes on the roof. 16mpg towing my 1800lb 21ft racing sailboat.

My 2010 is the old as dirt EJ family 2.5L my second one since 2001. Tough as nails as long as its not run hot! 105,000 or 105 months you need to do the timing belt, tensioner, rollers etc. Just did mine local shop $800. Mine needs new struts. The 10's through 13's had under damped struts, 15's got much needed improved struts and slightly stiffer sway bar. I may put the stiffer Legacy sway bar on mine when I do the struts

p nut

butter
I have an Outback as well (2014) and it has been a great vehicle. We're at 60k now and have not had any issues so far. It's a 2.5L with CVT, which has actually done really well, even packed to the gills. We just did a 2k mile road trip with majority of the miles at 80MPH and above, and lots of city miles. Average was 26.4MPG. Not too bad, considering I was not easy on the throttle. Going 70MPH, I can usually get 30MPG+.
-
That said, you mentioned towing. I don't know how often you are planning to tow, but the 2.5L is rated to tow 2,700lbs. And personally, I would not go over 2k lbs. Try finding a 3.6L if you'll be towing regularly.
-
A Highlander or Pilot could be on your list as well. Both should get above 22MPG, have lots of room, and plenty of towing capacity. "Mild offroading" shouldn't be an issue with any of these vehicles.

vartz04

Adventurer
Sounds like an outback is right for me for the most part. I kind of thought that when I wrote my original post. The only other thing I am considering is a Cherokee trail hawk used (lots of those used listed sub $24k so I should be able to fit it in the budget) cargo space is limited but with enough stuff on the roof/hitch it be fine

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Baby Duramax Colorado/canyon crew cab. LT or Z71 could be negotiated into the price range. The 3.6 is easily in the range but mileage is less. Pay now or pay later. (Used of course.)

vartz04

Adventurer
Baby Duramax Colorado/canyon crew cab. LT or Z71 could be negotiated into the price range. The 3.6 is easily in the range but mileage is less. Pay now or pay later. (Used of course.)

This is for sure a consideration as more and more used diesel ones hit the market

Hal43

I don't do any towing but my 2015 Outback with a LP Aventure 2" lift would fit most of your criteria. I get ~26mpg in mixed driving and can handle any dirt road/fire trail I have found so far. You might need to go a couple years older to meet your budget though I have seen used 2015's for 25K around here.

3p6JYHh.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles