LX 450, how bad is this rust?

Rsurface

I found an LX 450 with 130k miles and lockers. How big of a concern is the rust on the underside?

a2ppIK7.jpg

kj543rH.jpg

In this last picture you can see where I started scrubbing with the wire brush, most of the loose stuff came off but there is still a hard orange layer that the wire would no longer do anything for.

CodnNUY.jpg

dwheigher

Repair and modifications will be no fun at all. Penetrating oil and a torch will be your friends.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Fjryan

Take it to a mechanic if you're concerned about the frame or drivetrain. Check the underbody to see if the rust has compromised any of the body panels. There are rust treatments that are allegedly pretty effective but popular consensus is that you'll never get rid of all of it.
Try finding some other 80 series in the area and compare the rust on those. Especially if you're able to talk to the owners. And, as Verkstad said, decide how long you want to keep it and how much they're asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rsurface

I already purchased it.... I got it for under 3k ;) So not so bad, right?

I'm not a rust expert, but there is no heavy rot, unless it's somewhere I can't see.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Are you located in New England or the Mid West? There's a different scale for what bad rust is out here... Most of the rust looks repairable. My only concern is what looks like some oil leakage at the diff. Hopefully, that's not a hole.

Rsurface

Are you located in New England or the Mid West? There's a different scale for what bad rust is out here... Most of the rust looks repairable. My only concern is what looks like some oil leakage at the diff. Hopefully, that's not a hole.

Midwest, but it may have spent some time in the northeast.

buffy

Contrarian View

Actually, I'm not seeing much more than surface rust there. I'd become concerned if you start seeing deep pitting or layers of rusted sheet sloughing off. Looking above, I see the painted floorboard. It looks good. I'd pull the axles, blast, powdercoat and rebuild.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The areas underneath to pay particular attention rust-wise are the body to frame mounts, the frame it's entirety, and all those corners where road salt accumulates. Make sure to look inside the fender liners, up under the bump, etc. plastic body cladding can hide all sorts of corrosion sins. I think you, rust converter, POR-15, and WD-40 are all about to become good friends. Road salts are also hell on synthetic body bushings.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The areas underneath to pay particular attention rust-wise are the body to frame mounts, the frame it's entirety, and all those corners where road salt accumulates. Make sure to look inside the fender liners, up under the bumper, etc. plastic body cladding can hide all sorts of corrosion sins. I think you, rust converter, POR-15, and WD-40 are all about to become good friends. Road salts are also hell on synthetic body bushings.

JLee

Adventurer

lol that's not remotely enough rust to cause a hole in the diff case. Not even close.

From growing up in NH, that's in beautiful shape. After living in AZ, that's way too much rust for me.

NCFJ

Adventurer
I'd pass. I can deal with rebuilding almost anything but I just plain hate rust, makes everything else a pain in the azz!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne