Draft of electric layout

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
So with the Yamaha, it can run the 13,500 btu ac but how much surplus power is left available?

Probably not an issue:

-- The hard part is the 1 - 2 seconds that it takes the compressor to start.

-- After than, the power consumption will drop to well under 1,000w.

-- Beyond that, the compressor cycles; it does not run all the time. At night it probably won't be run more than 50% of the time. Depends on outside temperature, desired temperature inside, insulation, air leaks, warm bodies, etc,

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
So with the Yamaha, it can run the 13,500 btu ac but how much surplus power is left available?

According to 2manytoyz:

"Compressor switched on, blower on high, converter/charger running. 11.5 Amps. Deduct 3 Amps for the c/c, the A/C on high is drawing 8.5 Amps.

Note, I did watch this figure increase/decrease over several hours. The highest I recorded was 13 Amps for a brief period (compressor engaging I suspect). With a rated 16.7 Amps continuous, 20 Amps surge, this generator is ideally suited for my RV. I'll have to turn the A/C compressor off momentarily when using the microwave."

So with a normal running load of say 9a (@120v) and a rated continuous of 16a (@120v) that would leave around 8a - at 120v or 80a at 12v.

Not quite enough for a Xantrex Prosine inverter/charger to run its charger at its full rated 100a charging current. But still, 80a charge current is quite a lot.

And whenever the compressor isn't running, more than enough for the Prosine to pump its full rated 100a charge current to the battery (provided the battery will actually allow 100a to flow through it - which most of the time it wouldn't).

Still leaning towards 2 smaller units with the honda 2000. Combined they would give 4000, are easy to move around, would only need 1 for winter travel.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
4000w surge (for up to 30 mins). 3200w continuous (1600w continuous rating ea.).

Ha, I guess moral support would be nice. Truthfully there are so many options for each component I am trying to narrow everything down. I am also open to hiring a consultant to design the system for me as well.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Any recommendations on components? I was thinking I should start with my load list and work back from there.

Magnum or Xantrex inverter/charger.
Midnite, Morningstar or Victron solar charge controller.
Home Depot "GE type" 120v breaker box. Or Blue Sea 120v breaker box.
Blue Sea for the 12v stuff.

Or you coild probably.order a complete system with everything integrated from either Victron or Blue Sea.

Sterling for the battery to battery - IF you need it. If not then Blue Sea ACR.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Ha, I guess moral support would be nice. Truthfully there are so many options for each component I am trying to narrow everything down. I am also open to hiring a consultant to design the system for me as well.

I've been known to take money for electrical design work. Where are you located?

Blue Sea Diagram

That makes sense. That is why I am leaning towards hiring an expert to recommend and advise. I am essentially hoping to pay for experience and research even though having an education myself cannot hurt. Especially in the future when I needs repairs on the system.

I did come across this diagram from Blue Sea that I thought was interesting. Any opinion on if this would work? Obviously they do not spec out anything other than their own parts but I would be fine going with them for everything they can provide.

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/system_diagrams/3batterybank_1engine.pdf

List of requirements

I am looking to pay for experience. Just like when you use an attorney, or any professional tradesman or craftsman for services. I realize I still need to inform myself but no matter how much research I do, I cannot replace multiple years of experience with the internet.

What I have been asking for is information on general layouts. And the feedback has been helpful. This is helping me understand the basic pieces of equipment I will need. If anyone recommends particular components that doesn't mean I plan to blindly follow their advice.

I know this has all been done before so I am not trying to reinvent anything. As much as these systems are custom, there are common elements throughout most systems and companies that are known for reliability or poor quality. Just trying to get general advice from the internet which is what you are recommending I do.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Damn. Just typed up a detailed post about that Blue Sea .pdf and then went to preview it and hit cancel by mistake.

Not going through all that typing with my thumbs again.

Bottom line, you might need a #8, a #10, a couple of #11s or #12s and a #14 from that .pdf, the rest isn't needed for a van.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
What you'll get, for the most part, is a buch of people telling you to use what they used. Most will not tell you the negatives with their approach. They just tell you what to use based on ego.

Pinz,

I don't use any of this stuff. And I'm basically retired so I have no horse in this race.

I'm willing to do it as a favor. If they just want advice I'll do it here in open posts for everyone to read. No charge. Which I've done what? At least a thousand times?

If they want me to do load schedules and wireplans, plus recommend which bits and pieces would work best IN THEIR SITUATION, plus emails and phone calls back and forth basically teaching an abbreviated course in how this stuff works, plus helping them find the best sources and prices for whatever...

In other words, personal hand-holding...

Sometimes I'm willing. If I have the time.

And if they want to put some cash on the table, great. Which BTW...HE suggested. I don't solicit.

I find your description of my dispicable practices offensive. Might apply to someone else. Not me, bub.

In, re. Starting an A/C with an inverter.

Most air conditioners need about five times their running load to start. So, if your air conditioner draws 500w when the compressor is running, you will probably need an inverter of at least 2500w to start it.

Will a 2000w genset start it? Depends. Most conventional generators can take a surge by simply allowing the prime mover to slow down for a few revs. Will an inverter/generator like the Honda or Yamaha do this? I have no idea.

An inverter cannot sag like this, so it must be sized to handle the entire load.
To reinforce dwh's point, a Magnum inverter/charger, with the hybrid power feature may be able to protect an undersized generator, but the inverter/charger MUST be sized large enough to cover the starting surge.

In my case, a 2800w Magnum would start a 6k BTU air conditioner. Never tried it with a generator.

So to revisit this, the running Watts of the Coleman Mach 8 13,500 are 1,599. So if I multiply by 5x it would seem I need an 8,000 Watt inverter. That does not seem right. When I look at the starting load on the Coleman Mach website they say to calculate 2.5x the running Wattage to start it. This would mean I need a 4,000 Watt inverter. Stills seems high though. Am I better off just connecting / running the AC to the Genset and Shore power only?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online