No standing headroom: Deal breaker??

Keyne

Adventurer
I have a high roof 144 Sprinter and LOVE the high roof. Being able to park and easily walk to the back is awesome. Also, during bad rain, cold weather, and hot days we were really glad we didn't have a canvas pop top or not be able to stand up inside. I had a boat without standing headroom and even after a weekend my back was killing me after crouching around inside. We like to be outside but it has been great to have the internal space like a roving cabin. I love the look of the low top Sprinters but height wise they are still not low enough for parking garages, etc. so unless you have stuff to put on the roof (e.g. ladders, surf boards, etc.) the High Top benefits outweigh the cons in my opinion.

WAMTB

We were in a similar boat, wanting to be able to stand up, while also having potential HOA issues if trying to keep the rig outside. Ultimately we ended up with a low roof transit with sportsmobile poptop and Van Specialties doing the rest of the build out. For our garage, the ford was really the only option to be able to have a poptop and still fit. Even then it's close - we have about 3 inches to play with. That'll get used up with bigger tires, solar panels, or a combination thereof.

We did a cabinet in the slider area that has a fold down table for cooking (with alcohol stove stored in cabinet). The cabinet drawers pull forward, so they are accessible while in or out of the van. Then an awning provides cover while outside. There is room to cook inside too if weather is nasty.

Pros:
- it fits in our garage, and most other places with height limitations. Just had a parking garage in Breckenridge though where it wouldn't fit.
- the low roof is nice to drive and is less affected by wind
- clean look of lower roof van (subjective of course)

Cons:
- inability to stand up without putting the top up, and having the bed up
- less area with full height vs a higher top van
- less storage space in the van in the upper areas
- have had some tiny amounts of leaking in heavy rain
- leads to use of space that isn't quite as efficient IMO, for example, inability to do a platform bed above bike storage

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
Just a thought, if I remember right, you are having the house built prior to moving in. Can you have the garage door height modified to fit by chance? A taller door by an extra foot or panel is hardly noticable and makes a LOT of stuff fit easier.
My grandparents did that years ago when they built their house and garage so that their 1966 GMC 1 Ton 4X4 with shell would fit and be able to remove the shell in the garage.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Just a thought, if I remember right, you are having the house built prior to moving in. Can you have the garage door height modified to fit by chance? A taller door by an extra foot or panel is hardly noticable and makes a LOT of stuff fit easier.
My grandparents did that years ago when they built their house and garage so that their 1966 GMC 1 Ton 4X4 with shell would fit and be able to remove the shell in the garage.

Good point....and yes, the garage door opening was increased to 8 1/2 feet over the standard 7 feet.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
To Each His Own

I considered the Transit and Sprinter and they are nice with the high tops.

In developing my land yacht, I had to first define the intended purpose, like where is it to take me? In my area, MO. AR. OK. and KS. I'm in the woods, there are height restrictions called tree limbs. 75% of the use will be in the mid-west. 25% on longer travels, campgrounds or stealthy stop overs.

Next, do I want to look like a passenger or camping van or do I want to blend in to the work force like a utility van......? Since I take a lot of naps, I don't want to pay for a motel for a few hours, so, truck stops, Lowe's, or in the back of some closed business, some delivery/work van won't be drawing attention. Sometimes the nature of the voyage will determine the equipment and looks of the vessel.

MPG? High profile vehicles will use more gas. I just don't believe the claims of better mpg with a custom top, then there are head winds and crosswinds already mentioned.

Now, a pop top could meet the need to stand up and nothing says your hatch must be open in very cold weather or some storm to go to bed.
It could also be hidden with a utility rack contraption when down. So does an annex door tent with a hard floor. There is always the utility trailer conversion gig too. What is easier to heat and cool, low or high tops?

It all depends on your real needs, there will be trade offs. If you must walk around going down the highway, consider a small motorhome. :coffeedrink:

Choff

Adventurer
We just got back from a 2080 mile trip in a low roof GMC Savana AWD conversion van which we sleep in and travel a lot, I like the low roof for a daily driver with the ability to park in parking ramps and put in our garage at home with a 7' door and in winter to do oil changes in our heated garage.
High roof would be great some day -but for a daily work van and travel van we like the low roof.
Also less of a problem when the wind kicks up doing 75 mph on the interstates, I fly by so many large RVs and high roof vans!!!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've seen some write ups where a pop top was added to a mid roof (or a taller roof that goes up). I understand the benefit was more workable space when the roof was down, and then a maximum amount of space when the roof went up. Although in the OPs case, he's more interested in getting it in the garage he's stuck with for the next 3 years... not so concerned about other usage.

W

Wiley.

Standing room is a luxury, end of story. I lived out of the van traveling for 2 years, and yes it got old not being able to stand, but in the end, you shouldn't be spending much time inside the van anyways. A great luxury, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Len.Barron

Observer
It's a must for me, 74" of head room and I'm 73" with a thick pair of shoes... I just drove it 1700 miles from Oregon down to San Diego and didn't have any wind related driving issues, it may be due to the stiffer 3500 suspension. I've drove motorhomes for years so I know what that can be like..

Attachments

• 00V0V_gzqWd2ximdb_1200x900.jpg
    00V0V_gzqWd2ximdb_1200x900.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles