No standing headroom: Deal breaker??

outdoornate65

Adventurer
As I research a suitable replacement "expo" vehicle for my current rig (4-Runner with RTT) I keep coming back to Sprinter/Transit type vans.

I like the functional versatility of the cargo vans and have spent quite a bit of time daydreaming about how I would build one out.

The Ford transit mid-roof seems perfect for me as I'm not too tall and it would allow standing headroom.

Problem: It will obviously not fit in a normal garage and I live in an HOA development that does not allow vehicles in the driveway or on the street. One caveat: my garage door is 8.5 feet vs the standard 7 feet but still not sure the 101" tall Transit will fit.

So my question for you van dwellers: How important is standing headroom?

I figure if I bought a reg height van (no standing headroom), I could build the kitchen on slide-outs at the rear of the van and with a 270-degree awning, I'd have some decent shelter while cooking outside.
I see cooking as the only activity that requires standing headroom while inside the van.

I welcome thoughts from you folks that have experience. Also, I know some may say that the 4WD vs 2WD issue is probably more of an issue but that's a question for another thread.

Thanks a ton,

Nate

Paddy

Adventurer
Despite the more nimble feel and easier roof access I regretted buying a low roof sprinter.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Imho I think it depends on the type of usage.
My first 3 E350s had the standard roof while being EBs. My fourth and current is also an EB but with a fixed fiberglass hightop with just barely enough headroom for my avg 5ft11 to fit in the middle walkable area.
My uses for the the first two weren't anything more than long week or two on the road because I had a 31.5 TT. The third was for four moths semi full-time and it wasn't horrible but had to find creative ways of doing normal activities.
So then my current, I could never go back to the standard Econoline roof hight weather it be part time, weekends, long weeks or currently full timing.
As for cooking, an outside setup prohibits stealth camping somewhat, keep that in mind. Also shower, I could setup an indoor shower if I really wanted but I easily make do with an outside between the side barn doors.

Hope my ramblings help.

86scotty

Cynic
If you can't stand up in a van then you might as well just stick with the SUV. Much cheaper and more capable offroad. I love the Transit. Well, let's say I'm learning to love the way it looks, but I plan for that to be my next van. I'm 6'2" and can stand up fine in the mid height version. Keep this in mind. You're never going to be happy with the dinky stock wheels/tires on a Transit or Sprinter so it's going to get taller. If you don't have a few extra inches to spare on your garage height it probably won't work out. That said, I would move to a place where people don't tell me what or how to park. Sorry if that seems harsh. No way I could live with an HOA. Oh, I have one, come to think of it. Her name is Kristie. The basic requirement from my HOA is that I park my crap outside and leave her the garage.

Anyway, just thoughts. You might want to consider a Transit over a Sprinter because you have to tow a capable Mercedes dealership service facility behind you to take a Sprinter offroad and that can seriously limit the places you can go.

wjeeper

As I research a suitable replacement "expo" vehicle for my current rig (4-Runner with RTT) I keep coming back to Sprinter/Transit type vans.

I like the functional versatility of the cargo vans and have spent quite a bit of time daydreaming about how I would build one out.
I had the exact thought process about 1.5 years ago when I made the change from a RTT on top of a Jeep to a van. So I am going to throw my $0.02 into the fray.

So my question for you van dwellers: How important is standing headroom?
It depends: how do you plan on using the van? If your going on long multi week trips and living out of a van for extended periods I would say very important. Short multi night trips a dozen or so times a year not as much.

I put a 'TV' top from a conversion van on my chevy like the one below. I would imagine its comparable to a mid-height van.
2005_Loaded_Chevrolet_029.jpg

I have to stand with my head tilted to the side and watch that I don't hit my head on the roof vent but it has proven to be just about the perfect height. Its tall enough to comfortably change clothes, make the bed, cook dinner, play cards when the weather is bad, etc, etc. At the same time its not so tall that it kills the gas mileage, fits down the trails and can still do drive thru's

I see cooking as the only activity that requires standing headroom while inside the van.
We still do almost all of our cooking outside unless the weather is bad. Its easy to stink up or fill the van with moisture from cooking.

Problem: It will obviously not fit in a normal garage and I live in an HOA development that does not allow vehicles in the driveway or on the street.
Solution: Move! :sombrero: HOA's are the biggest kill joys. I am so glad that our building lot has no HOA or CC&R's (Covenants Codes and Restrictions) placed on us by a developer.

I had considered going the pop-top route for the lower roof height while traveling and extended for camping. But I really wanted to get away from the canvas of a RTT and have something more secure, permanent and be truly 4-season. I will echo what others have said, after going with a high top I will never go back to a standard height roof. If I were buying new I would seriously consider the mid roof transit.

Mat Mobile

Adventurer
It depends: how do you plan on using the van? If your going on long multi week trips and living out of a van for extended periods I would say very important. Short multi night trips a dozen or so times a year not as much.

I agree 110% with this statement!

I wouldn't call it a deal breaker... But after having 3 low-roof vans (Safari, Astro, E150), I got fed up of always being hunched over! You can do everything you want in a low-roof van, just uncomfortably.

Also, if you're "young", on a budget, and it's your first van, a low-roof might be a good choice for a low level of financial commitment for a trial of how you use it that you can upgrade later on.

Just my opinion and food for thought.

Petrolburner

Explorer
Total deal breaker for me. I live out of an airplane during the fire season that I can't stand up in and it sucks. Just for the loading and unloading of the van, as well as the building of the interior it's worth having standing room.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I'm about in the same boat. Currently doing the SUV thing and looking for a bit more room. Glorified weekend trips are my plan. Looking at the road trip factor the lower roof punches a smaller hole in the wind. And traveling out west where the cruise gets set at 75 (or better) I'm digging the low roof. At the moment I have managed to borrow a few different vans from work (great boss) to try a few things. While not being upfitted as one I would own I do get a feel for them. I do like I can fit a motorcycle in the van and still sleep back there as well, better then sleeping in the back of the SUV with the motorcycle on a trailer.

I have two ways I would go about it. One would be go big, build it up as an RV. Shower, toilet, etc. But that looses a lot of praticality. And not storing it at home.
The other is build lean and mean. Stealth version. Just a cargo van. That will park in the driveway/garage. It also helps in living out west where you can get away with a lot more outdoor planning (cook and shower outside when in the woods) as the weather is generally good for that. Other parts of the country where the weather isn't as good, I might be more inclined to go bigger to stay indoors more.

As for needing to stand up, I don't need to. I can lay down and stretch out. I can get dressed sitting (or laying). For what I am planning on putting together, and how I plan to use it, a high roof is not a deal breaker at all. But that is my personal feelings, and how I am planning on using it. If the plans were for extended trips, weeks not days, the plans for the vehicle would change.

java

Expedition Leader
For longer trips in crappy weather standing is needed IMO. I cant stand being hunched over all the time.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
OP here....

Thanks guys for the feedback.

To clarify a couple points:

I would be using the van for a long road trip that hopefully lasts 6-8 months and then potentially using it as a basecamp for some travel-nursing gigs.

Regarding the HOA issue: my 80 year-old parents and I are building a vacation home in the mountains of central AZ. They plan to use the house for the next three years and will then turn it over to me as my full time residence. Despite the stringent HOA rules, I will be living in a family cabin with no mortgage....so the HOA piece "is what it is".

Thanks again for the helpful info,

Nate

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd take some measurements and see what'll fit. I'd go the tallest I could... even stay 2wd to save height.
I've only got 5'6" and I can live with that even though I'm 6'4"... I'd not want 4'6 that a standard van is.

Given my rig is 8'6"... it could be possible for you to find something that works... and keeps the HOA happy.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Having owned, and traveled long term in both, I would never go back to a low roof (if I had the choice).

I would measure, and see what you can make work. Deflating the tires, or using straps to load down the suspension are options for extra clearance.

Some HOAs have workarounds. An enclosed car port for example, A permanent outdoor "tent" structure with fabric door etc. Any chance of parking in your back yard? Is there some secure storage nearby? Sometimes creative solutions can be found.

The high roofs offer lots of options for storage out of the way, and really make a van less claustrophobic.

If you can't make the high roof work, low roofs are survivable.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Again, I appreciate the responses.

No real "work-around" for the HOA and the home will not have a yard as it's located on the side of a hill.

I looked at the Sportsmobile site today and see that they now offer their pop-top "penthouse" modification ($9k) for the Ford Transit.
Something like that would allow me to easily fit the rig in the garage and leave plenty to room for suspension/tire upgrades.

Since I will have 8.5 foot clearance, I will keep looking at "other" van options....to include 4x4 vans.

First world problems....

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz