TexasSixSeven F-350 build

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I ordered a 2017 F-350 back in the spring, and took possession of it towards the beginning of April. This will be a slow documentation of the build, that will be mostly for exploring the backcountry via forest service roads and as a base camp. Not new to 4wds, large diesels, or off roading, but this will be my first build for a truck of this size. We spend several weeks a year in the mountains with our side by sides as well, and this will be used to tow them 3-5k miles when we go. Next summer I will be getting married, which will make this build considerably slower as I will be funding it at the same time.

Now for the build expectations. 2-21/2" of lift via level and Fox 2.0s all the way around, 37x12.50-20 Toyo RTs, Front and rear bumpers, custom made mid height bed rack for RTT and custom removable kayak carrier above. Currently I have a 48 factory tank, and am averaging 16-18 mpg which gives me excellent range. Weighing the benefits of adding an auxiliary tank to the bed vs the payload capacity lost due to the extra diesel. Bumpers have already been ordered, WeatherTech liners installed day one, and considering the location for an small on board air setup. The rear bumper is being made to house Rigid Dually Floods, and will be installed next weekend. The front bumper will be installed at the same time. Looking into some small discrete light in options for the front to provide a tad extra light, as the factory lights perform extremely well. I do have the upfitter switches as well as dual alternators from the factory, so accessories will not be much of an issue. They will be kept to a minimum though. Currently looking for a fabricator to make me some rock sliders as well. My truck is a crew cab long bed, so it has a very large wheelbase that can be a rock magnet. There will be many other mods down the road, but this is what I'm looking to accomplish before the wedding next year. We will have 16-18 days after the wedding for a long road trip honeymoon, and the will be spending most of our time in or near the truck.

The truck right after I bought it 100% stock heading out on its maiden voyage. It saw a few trailheads for unloading, but that’s about it.

Attachments

• A836021B-4DD2-4C43-A2BD-C42BFD9DFFBB.jpeg
    A836021B-4DD2-4C43-A2BD-C42BFD9DFFBB.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I've been a lurker here at ExPo for close to ten years, and finally set up an account today. I have no idea how to post pics though.

RPhil

Adventurer
I've been a lurker here at ExPo for close to ten years, and finally set up an account today. I have no idea how to post pics though.

Welcome. I personally use imgur.com to host my pictures, which I then embed in my comments here. Looking forward to your build and some pics. Exciting to see some new full size rigs getting built up and dirty.

Paddy

Adventurer
Why extra diesel? The only reason people use the bed mounted ones is to cheat the system and buy off-road diesel. I'd personally rather have an underbody tank because why waste bed space?

Betarocker

Adventurer
37's with a 2.5" lift might not be rub free when offroad. Wheel width and backspacing will be critical to get right. I went to 7" lift to 100% eliminate any and all tire to truck contact, but that might be more extreme than you want. 4.5" would be a better height. Traction bars/blocks from One Up Offroad will help with transmission shifts and keep wheel hop in control when on gravel, without compromising suspension movement.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Why extra diesel? The only reason people use the bed mounted ones is to cheat the system and buy off-road diesel. I'd personally rather have an underbody tank because why waste bed space?

Not even remotely true about off road diesel. An underbody tank would net me 10 gallons at most for $1200-1400. Not worth it. Or I can use up 9" of a 99" bed, and gain 60 more gallons for 1/3 of the cost. No brainer there.

As to why, I really hate stopping for fuel. Plus I can put fuel for FAR cheaper at home than I can anywhere else. If the majority of my trips can eliminate fuel stops all the better. Especially with a $12k fuel system, and a $15k motor. I'd rather buy diesel at places that see regular diesel traffic, and keep fresh fuel. Not some little podunk station that rarely sees the need to fill their tanks, and increases likelihood of running their tanks low between fill ups.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
37's with a 2.5" lift might not be rub free when offroad. Wheel width and backspacing will be critical to get right. I went to 7" lift to 100% eliminate any and all tire to truck contact, but that might be more extreme than you want. 4.5" would be a better height. Traction bars/blocks from One Up Offroad will help with transmission shifts and keep wheel hop in control when on gravel, without compromising suspension movement.

The 17s have a good bit more clearance than the 16s. Yes I will have some rub, but it'll be at compression with wheels locked. I'm not willing to lift the truck, and not exactly going to wheel this. A level with 37s will provide plenty of clearance for what I have in mind, with minimal rubbing. 3.5" with the 17s eliminates rub. Still higher than I'm willing to go.

Vegas_Sirk

The guys at Brenthel Industries are running just the King bolt on coilovers upfront and adjustable rear shocks on their Chase trucks and fit 37s without issue. Jordan over there told me it just required minor fenfor trimming. So with a 2.5" lift you should be cool. You migth not even need it if the Foxes your looking at add lift.

Umbrarian

Observer
Why extra diesel? The only reason people use the bed mounted ones is to cheat the system and buy off-road diesel.

Silliest post of the week. I can legally buy ORD and save a whopping 24.4 cents per gallon, but the hassle of forms to fill out, unlock the pumps, etc . is not worth it. Easier to ride out the price fluctuations and buy on a low cycle.

OP

I have a Transfer Flow Tank. I did not plumb it into the main system, it is standalone and I really like it that way. I went with the 40 gallon tank that also includes a storage section. Easily installed in a few hours.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The 17s have a good bit more clearance than the 16s. Yes I will have some rub, but it'll be at compression with wheels locked. I'm not willing to lift the truck, and not exactly going to wheel this. A level with 37s will provide plenty of clearance for what I have in mind, with minimal rubbing. 3.5" with the 17s eliminates rub. Still higher than I'm willing to go.
I did a 1.5 front level on my 2017 F-350 with Fox 2.0's all around. I run a true 35" tall tire. A 2.5 level is going to have the truck sitting nose high with much of any load in the bed, and real high when towing a trailer. Good luck with the build!

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I did a 1.5 front level on my 2017 F-350 with Fox 2.0's all around. I run a true 35" tall tire. A 2.5 level is going to have the truck sitting nose high with much of any load in the bed, and real high when towing a trailer. Good luck with the build!

Part of my reasoning for not going any higher. My truck sits about 2" rear high with the heaviest trailer I pull. 2.5" will be slightly nose high with that trailer. I can load it with more rear weight, as I do load it very front heavy currently. Rear bags may be used in this scenario to keep things squared away.

TexasSixSeven

Observer

Silliest post of the week. I can legally buy ORD and save a whopping 24.4 cents per gallon, but the hassle of forms to fill out, unlock the pumps, etc . is not worth it. Easier to ride out the price fluctuations and buy on a low cycle.

OP

I have a Transfer Flow Tank. I did not plumb it into the main system, it is standalone and I really like it that way. I went with the 40 gallon tank that also includes a storage section. Easily installed in a few hours.

Right now diesel in my AO is $2-2.10 per gallon. I also prefer using known high quantity Diesel stops for fresh fuel. Couple those two with the fact that I hate stopping for any reason other than desire, and I love a long range capable vehicle. Ideally I'd add an 90-110 gal tank to my truck, except that uses up too much weight from my payload capacity. I'm thinking 60 is about perfect, with an in cab transfer switch. Not sure that I want to do a box/tank combo. They take up more space than I'm willing to give up. I'be ran quite a few long bed HD trucks in the past, and have a good idea of the amount of space needed for my everyday usage. I just have to figure out the way to make that the most compatible with my leisurely activities as well.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Part of my reasoning for not going any higher. My truck sits about 2" rear high with the heaviest trailer I pull. 2.5" will be slightly nose high with that trailer. I can load it with more rear weight, as I do load it very front heavy currently. Rear bags may be used in this scenario to keep things squared away.

My trailer has about 1200lbs of tongue weight, it usually leave my nose sticking up in the air. Luckily I only pull a few times a month.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I will be going with 37's and either a 2.5" or 4" lift on my 2017 here soon as well OP. I am leaning towards the 4" lift simply for clearance when off-road and to eliminate rubbing. I am looking forward to some pics of your build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles