GMC Topkick 4x4 Expedition rig

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Look for a medium duty ambulance on the Topkick/Kodiak chasis. It might be easier to find. And if you get it from a smaller rural service it'll probably be lower mileage and in good shape.

Britboaters

Observer
Thanks Paintball, however the ambulances we've seen don't allow you to stand up inside.
Thanks Pappa - when we get a truck I'll post pics !!
Thanks
Bob

Darwin

Explorer
A ram 5500 with a flat bed camper could be an option. I think they have even more payload than the GMC. I personally hate RV toilets, they stink literally. 80 gallons is what I shoot for as far as water. 40 gallons with two people will give you a couple of navy showers and dishes etc. You will be looking for water sources often and forced to move.

Britboaters

Observer
Thanks Darwin.
We currently have a Ram 2500. The visibility over the hood on all the pick up based vehicles is quite limited, that's why we like the Topkick / Kodiak. You sit more upright as it the van based cab, and the visibility over the hood is excellent.
Also the taller cab allows a really nice pass through into the camper.
We originally looked at the Isuzu cab-over trucks, but the NPR cabs are too small. The F series cabs were very attractive, but it got quite complicated to add 4WD. So the Topkick / Kodiak factory 4WD looked very attractive.
Bob

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Brit the whole idea of a Topkick as an expo vehicle sounds way cool. My only problem is that you have posted no pics. Can we please see some pics of your rig? Cheers, chilli..:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94