Tire of Choice....

1range

Adventurer
Hey, So I am thinking of switching out my wheel/tire combo, currently running K02s on 20s! Not sure what it is about them on a G but I just don't like the way they ride...(could just be me) I have a friend running Cooper ST MAXX on 18s he seems to really love them!

So I just thought I would see what everyone is running and please post a pic of too of your ride!

cheerio

1range

Adventurer
I was playing around in the shopping imagining what my lift will look life! 9 weeks sadly to wait!

Attachments

• lifted_G55.jpg
    lifted_G55.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 47

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
What size is that, 275/60R20? I have the same size on my Range Rover and it does ride dramatically different than the all season/luxury car tires that were on it prior. There is no escaping the stiffer ride from a thicker, heavier sidewall and stronger tire. What pressure are you running?

2010 G550 with 275/70 r18 Cooper ST MAXX. Ran them with and without 40mm spring spacers.
Highly recommended.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1range

Adventurer
Yeah Steve I am with ya I think that is the tire and size I am going with once the shocks and springs get here!

Yeah Steve I am with ya I think that is the tire and size I am going with once the shocks and springs get here!
Here's a pic when I first got them installed without the spring spacers. :)
e14db4181a2fd67c1f1c0e2f5979dca1.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rockpile

IMG_2015.jpgI'm looking to put 285/75/16 either Goodyear wrangler duratrack or bfg ko2's on a 2014 G550 with 30 mm spring spacers. Any thoughts on whether one is better than the other in snow ? Both have snowflake symbol but to me the good year tread has better small grooves for snow.

Secondly, does anyone have experience with the coding of this vintage G (2014) for the larger circumference (from ca. 30.7 stock to 33" proposed above) in the star system ?

Thank you !

picture of the brick w. current stock 18's. about to install black ashtaroth 16's.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
ST Maxxs are the best all around tire I've run in 35 years of 4x4 travel. I just got 50,000 miles out of a set on my 12,100 lb diesel camper combo. It sees a LOT of use and I am not easy on tires. They only needed replacing after I put a rock "spike" through the tread of one. Just bad luck. My new set are making me smile big time!

vectorsc

Adventurer
I frankly am in love with the KO2's - but in 18" trim. I have used them in the snow and ice and they are fantastic there. And lots of bad offroading on top of all of that. Even colorados giant outdoor hatchet factory hasn't downed one yet.

1range

Adventurer
So I put on a set of 18s, with Ko2s. I will say the ride is considerably better! But, I still think my end game is ST MAXX after the lift.

Attachments

• G55-18s.jpg
    G55-18s.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 69

Angelo1

I completely disagree with your assertions. I have a set of KO2 on my 200 Series and noticed a significant difference from my previous Terra Grapplers and ST MAXX's. I live in CO and they are used off and on road often. The KO2 are the only tire I've owned tHat track really well in deep and packed snow. They are fantastic on lose dirt and rocky ledges when I'm wheeling in Moab. In fact most suvs and Jeeps I've come across in MoAB, Black Bear pass, etc. love the KO2s. I hated the previous KO's but was convinced by many owners of these KO2 and by the Land Cruiser custom shop here in Golden, CO that recognized throughout the LC World globally.

Angelo1

Gorgeous G! What wheels are those? I'm actually considering a new G550 but hate the 19" wheel size as it's nearly impossible to find A/T tires for them. What are the details of lift?

1range

Adventurer
Angelo1, Thanks man. Those are the older G55 Wheels, just painted black. They were a bit wider than the 20s so thats why I wanted to try them! Yeah I agree, I think the KO2s are different on all applications, whether its an old cruiser or a new RR. Hence my hunt for the perfect tire on the G! So stay tuned people! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles