Which trailer an why?

Curdoger1034!

Which trailer did you buy or build an why? I'm curious of the trailers people are using an what was there reasoning for going the way you did. How any days do you typically spend in it? Do you go to camp grounds or boondock or even go full on off road running difficult trails?

Capercrew02

Observer
Hiker/leaddog motorsports teardrop. Price was the same or less than a built offroad box and RTT, but I've got room to sleep inside, more cargo carrying ability, and I never have to worry about setting up in bad weather. The wife and I can sit up inside if it's bad outside. It's been a fantastic 6 months with it so far. We do a little bit of everything. Some campgrounds, some boon docking, and some remote camping where off-roading is required just to get to the spot.

kzam

Observer
I built my own Hiker-style teardrop/box to keep costs to a minimum and because I enjoy new projects. I have a wood frame, rigid insulation top, bottom, and sides, and an aluminum skin. Seems great so far but I just finished so we haven't had much opportunity to really test it out.

If price wasn't a concern, I would have used the double-sided aluminum panels that have a layer of insulation inside and welded a steel frame.

We purchased a used XVenture2 last Spring and used it a good amount this summer. The trailer will eventually be the base for an RTT -- I convinced my wife the RTT is like camping in the penthouse. Trailer RTT allows us to set up main base and still explore without breaking down camp. Having down sized from a Suburban to a LR4 we needed the extra storage space.

I really like the trailer -- its built like a tank and will go anywhere I can get the vehicle. I am looking to upgrade the cover to a hard top option to make the trailer more water resistant.

We will likely do a few weeks a year in the trailer as a family. Add a few more days for just me and fishing. Time is split between bonedocking and camp grounds (state/federal/core). We did some easy/moderate trials this summer and will be doing more in the future.

Curdoger1034!

I've been set on building a cargo trailer like the ones sold by Colorado trailer sales. then I started looking at some of these off road teardrop trailers and really like them. I plan to take extended trips with this setup up to a month at a time maybe more. This has been a really hard to decision lol.

JPShooter

Adventurer
I'm curious, for those with the teardrops, don't you feel there's limited storage space compared to a trailer with a RTT?

Seems like the teardrops are great for no setup of the sleeping quarters, but outside of the kitchen in the back and some space on top, where can you store things if it's not in the bed/sleeping area?

I have an M1101 with a rack and RTT, and the bed of the trailer is huge, bigger than my pickup, and I can store a ton (literally) of stuff in there. In addition to the RTT on the rack, I can put three bicycles and even lay two kayaks over the stuff in the bed!

I really like the idea of not having to open and setup the RTT, especially in bad weather. But I like to be able to take a lot of stuff with me if I chose, and the teardrops just seem so limited in that regard.

Maybe I just a teardrop too :)

Horses for courses they say!

I guess it's just a matter of compromise, as is everything!

Hummelator

Adventurer
My original plan was to go a home built tear drop style. I wanted tear drop over a RTT setup because everything is already set up and everything has its place. My build took a slightly different turn from the original plan but eventually I will build a teardrop for the same reasons. That being said, I don't have kids and my wife complains about hating camping (despite telling me she loved it while we were dating) so I don't have much extra cargo to take with me and what I do have goes in the back of the truck. My camping is a mix of campgrouds and logging roads. Nothing a stock 4x4 truck couldn't handle.

jim65wagon

Storage is one reason why we built or teardrop. We were originally going to put a track on the roof and use storage boxes. Before the build even began we sized up to the idea of basement storage. It adds a foot to the overall height of the trailer ( but that's less than a rack and boxes would been), and it's easier to access than a roof rack.

Having the basement gives us room for a huge water tank between the wheelwells and plenty of storage for chairs, awnings, and an EZUp

07ad9e320074f6b11aa2fa6c39f3481e.jpg
d62f29162afa256904b05269e20893ab.jpg
7b05a01d02469cf4e9686da1cedc2cbf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Curdoger1034!

There are so many decisions to consider when choosing a trailer. I'm very interested in people's experiences what worked an what didn't. So here is what I will be pulling it with 2009 double cab Tacoma TRD Sport. This will be solo trips 90% of the time unless you count the hounds I may be running up to 5 at a time so that is a concideration. I want to be self reliant onboard water heat an AC if it's unbearable sleeping conditions. I absolutely do not want to worry about tempatures being below freezing. I want true 4 season camping.
What company is building truly custom trailers.

grogie

Like to Camp
^Is that taking up to five dogs that you're talking about? Okay, then I see that you do need space! So is a small, basic travel trailer out of the picture? I assume it is as you're thinking about being able to take it off-road to some degree.

A couple things about having a trailer to tow off-road:
-Trailer needs a strong suspension that can take bumps, has the right tires, and don't forget the trailer brakes.
-Keep the weight down! Not only do you want it safe when towing at 70 mph on the highway, but you don't want it to feel like dead weight when pulling it on trails and rough roads. Also consider, what if you have to unhook and turn the trailer around on some tight trail? Could you do it? (Which I've done with mine.)

As a reference, I have a two-door Jeep with very little space inside, so a trailer for me is simply making long camping trips more comfortable, and taking it back off-road. I'm just using an RTT which is of course not four-seasons. The trailer's build quality and weight were my two starting points. My trailer has leaf springs, shocks, and weighs 1100#s when loaded. (It's like it's not even behind me.)

I do also have to say, if I had a pickup, I'd highly consider something like a four-wheel camper, for being light weight, four seasons, and not having to tow anything. Can you fit you and the five dogs in one? :)

Curdoger1034!

Yes I will be hauling the dogs with me. I just don't want to stay at camp grounds then load up an drive to a place to run them. I want to set up camp an take off on foot. Yes weight is a big consideration for me. I have ran so many different scenarios in my head it giving me a head ache lol. I'm really starting to like Intech trailers but the issue I have it price an no onboard water built in to the trailer. I just want to be able to navigate national Forrest roads an single track goat paths to get away from people.

kzam

Observer
I'm curious, for those with the teardrops, don't you feel there's limited storage space compared to a trailer with a RTT?

Seems like the teardrops are great for no setup of the sleeping quarters, but outside of the kitchen in the back and some space on top, where can you store things if it's not in the bed/sleeping area?

I have an M1101 with a rack and RTT, and the bed of the trailer is huge, bigger than my pickup, and I can store a ton (literally) of stuff in there. In addition to the RTT on the rack, I can put three bicycles and even lay two kayaks over the stuff in the bed!

I really like the idea of not having to open and setup the RTT, especially in bad weather. But I like to be able to take a lot of stuff with me if I chose, and the teardrops just seem so limited in that regard.

Maybe I just a teardrop too :)

Horses for courses they say!

I guess it's just a matter of compromise, as is everything!

I guess it depends on how much extra stuff you want to bring with you to go camping.

When I was a bit younger, I used to really be into ultra-light backpacking and I was very conscious of every ounce I was carrying. I was adamant about never carrying more than 20 pounds total, including the weight of my tent, pack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, food, mess kit, water, water filter, personal toiletries, and first aid kit. I've grown accustomed to being in the woods without much so I still don't pack much besides food and camp kitchen supplies.

I'm honestly not sure what more I would bring with me, maybe some folding chairs and a grill?

Like you said, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Curdoger1034!

I've started looking at some of the expo trailers being built an like what I see. VMI has given me some fantastic ideas along with Intech. I'm beginning to think that I may not need all the room I thought I did.

StomperNJ

Bound is truckless man.
For you guys that went the teardrop route, how is the temperature inside when sleeping in the summer months?

grogie

Like to Camp
Yes I will be hauling the dogs with me. I just don't want to stay at camp grounds then load up an drive to a place to run them. I want to set up camp an take off on foot. Yes weight is a big consideration for me. I have ran so many different scenarios in my head it giving me a head ache lol. I'm really starting to like Intech trailers but the issue I have it price an no onboard water built in to the trailer. I just want to be able to navigate national Forrest roads an single track goat paths to get away from people.

I hear you with finding the path less traveled. As said, just make sure that you can easily turn the trailer around if you have to. Maybe hook up the dogs to spin it around. (haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94