Weird Scratchy Sound

Worshington

Observer
Hey guys,

So I just returned from a week long trip to the north end of Vancouver Island. The Montero had a couple days rest, but yesterday I had to go fishing.

When I was driving away from the house it was apparent that every time I stepped on the break a repetitive high pitched scratchy sound came from behind the dash. It seems to be persisting. I'm a novice mechanic so it's not hard to stump me, but I'm stumped. The sound also happens occasionally when I'm just driving.

Worshington

Observer
My breaking performance does not seem to be affected at all, and the amount of fluid missing is minimal. I would really like to avoid just giving it to a mechanic and having to cough up exorbitant amounts of lettuce.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
I would look into the hydraulic brake booster issue that is not uncommon on these vehicles. I haven't run across it myself but it shows up on these forums with relative frequency and I seem to recall someone coming up with an inexpensive fix. If nothing else you may be able to track down the symptoms a little better. As I recall it's a failing electric motor that can eventually cause total brake failure, so a scritchy noise from behind the dash could be an early indicator.

Hopefully someone with more details can help here.

Worshington

Observer
Thanks Coffeegoat,

What your describing seems to be what the problem is, the HBB was recalled apparently, doubt they'll replace mine with 208k miles on it.

I hope there is an inexpensive fix for this because I saw a few reports of $1300 being the going rate on another forum.

Worshington

Observer
Does anyone have an idea of how long I might have before this thing is dangerous to drive? I have a couple of chores that I need the truck for before I can garage it indefinitely.

Worshington

Observer
Thanks for the link, I also dug up an old thread on how to just change out the failing motor, for very cheap, I might try to go that route. If I do, I will be sure to document it, so that there is another thread confirming that it works.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Do some searching around here before you spring for the motor. A much more likely culprit is the accumulator. When it fails, the motor has little spasms trying to boost pressure. Other owners and I have posted in this thread about replacing them. It's child's play and the part is not expensive.

Worshington

Observer
Thanks for the tip Sabre!

I don't suppose there is a diagnosis for the accumulator? Maybe spread soapy water and look for bubbles?

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Does anyone have an idea of how long I might have before this thing is dangerous to drive? I have a couple of chores that I need the truck for before I can garage it indefinitely.
It is dangerous now. As soon as your brake system is exhibiting signs of being worn and potential failure your best actions is to fix it immediately. It may just be the accumulator but since the electric motors wear out also you should seriously consider doing both while you have it apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles