Leaf Springs

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I hardly see single axle trailers have much spring flex or movement. Trailer pivots of hitch mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
I hardly see single axle trailers have much spring flex or movement. Trailer pivots of hitch mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's because too many people have overly stiff springs and over inflated tires on their trailers. I've watched out the side view mirror looking at my trailer's tire in relation to the fender. Even when going down the highway I could watch the distance between the tire and fender constantly changing just a bit. That is the suspension working. I'm running 1150lbs for the pair (575lb rating for each spring) on my trailer.

My trailer weighs about 1250lbs wet. I'm also only running 20psi in my 235/75/15" tires. So between properly chosen springs and lower tire psi, I've got decent flex.

You could bolt the trailer's axle to the frame solidly, and put 100lbs of air in the tires, and the trailer tongue would still pivot at the hitch. But then you've got no trailer suspension, and your trailer's contents (and your hitch) are taking a beating. And the trailer's probably going airborne with every little bump.

Hardtop.26.jpgHardtop.25.jpgCover.2.jpg

Last edited:

glamisdude72000

Desert Camper
I'd take the second shortest out and see how it rides,shouldn't take more than 30min.

The shorter the leaf you remove the greater effect it will have on the ride, lift, and weight handling. If you feel that it is pretty close, start with the longest one.

On my trailer I use a set of modified 2nd gen Tacoma springs, took some tuning to get them stiff enough but the end result is a trailer that has a lot of travel to soak out the bumps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94