SOLD

jfarsang

Adventurer
Sold

Up for sale is a very unique Chevy Astro that was exported from Canada in 1996 (manufacture year) to Japan, converted by Reimo in Japan and I brought it back to Canada.

Single owner in Japan. Never smoked in. Very clean and really good for 2 adults/2 children and/or pets. Seating capacity is 6. Two double benches in the back and two captains chairs in the front.

It has been meticulously looked after mechanically and stored indoors it's entire life. No rust. There are no odd tendencies nor quirks. It runs and drives very solid.

Original GM USA vehicle exported to Japan in 1996, then converted by Reimo Japan Corp. Imported back to North America. From what the rep told me, there were 150 of these high top camper conversions professionally done between 1996-2001 in Japan. I have only seen two in US/Canada to date. The interiors seem to vary between models.

I've already replaced it with a larger diesel camper so I am not interested in any trades.

I've been a member here for over 9 years and have bought and sold some unique overland vehicles.

I can ship across US or Canada at buyers expense.

I'll have a video walk around up tomorrow.

Details -

1996 Chevrolet Astro Luxury Touring Edition

VIN # 1GNEL19W7TB150276

Specs : https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=1GNEL19W7TB150276

57,660 miles (92,800 km)

Exterior / Interior Dimensions -

Exterior height from ground to highest point on roof : 8'6"

Interior height from floor to highest point 6' feet

Top bed length 6'
Top bed width 52"
Top bed height 19"

Bottom bed length 6'8"
Bottom bed width 37"
Bottom bed height 34" (when top bed is extended)

Interior -

Seating : Seating capacity is 6. Both front captains chairs rotate 360 degrees and have arm rests. FASP Rear double bench seats both flip forward and rear facing, as well as it converts into a really nice comfy bed. Both have stock seat belts.

Sleeping: Top / The bed up top is just over 6 feet in length with padded base/mattress. Below / FASP Rear double bench seats both flip down flat and converts into a really nice comfy bed.

Cabin heater : Airtop 2000 cabin heater with thermostat. Fuel intake plumbed into the stock Astro fuel tank and power from the auxiliary RV battery so it can operate without the engine on. Keeps the inside toasty and dry during the winter months.

Stove : Propane dual burner

Fridge : Engel 50 Quarts (47L) fridge - runs off 12V aux battery and 120V shore power

Water : Counter top sink with electric water pump that pulls from freshwater tank (10 gal) under rearmost bench seat and feeds into the (12 gal) greywater tank underneath the body/rear. Filling done on side filler cap (with key lock)

Flooring : real hardwood floor wood panels

Auxiliary power -

Battery : Brite Star 12V 105Ah RV Deep cycle Battery

Shore Power : 120V/30A shore power plugin w/HD extension cable

Battery Charger : Power Source PC30 - 30Amp Aux 12V battery charger (while connected to shore power also charges the aux battery)

Power management : Power Base 12V/120A distribution board (circuit/fuse breaker panel)

Exterior -

Hightop : Reimo fiberglass hightop with fantastic fan vent and two side (lexan) windows

Tires/lift : Bridgestone Dueller A/T 215/80R15 on stock Astro wheels and sports a nice 2" Overland lift kit. Looks so much better in person than in the pictures.

Awning : Thule/Omnistor 2000 series pullout awning 2.54m with attachment points on body

Mechanical servicing -

Everything was done at 57k miles in the last 2 months :

New front brake rotors & pads. Rear shoes & drums.
Complete fluid change (oil/trans/diff)
New AC Delco alternator
New water pump
New AC/main belt/pulley
New fuel pump/filter
KYB shocks
HID headlights
2" Overland lift (body/shackles)

IMG_7307.jpgIMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7309.jpgIMG_7312.jpg

IMG_7308.jpgIMG_7306.jpg

IMG_7345.jpgIMG_7343.jpg

Last edited:

snomad

Nice. A couple images of the upper sleeping set-up would be informative. What is the interior height and exterior height to top's high point? GLWS

jfarsang

Adventurer
Nice. A couple images of the upper sleeping set-up would be informative. What is the interior height and exterior height to top's high point? GLWS

Uploaded images of the upper sleeping setup. It's an open layout when the top bed is closed. When you pull the base back to extend it, it is just over 6 feet in length. Interior/Exterior dimensions added to the main post.

Thanks for providing a clear shot of the VIN. Here's a link to what the VIN says about the vehicle.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=1GNEL19W7TB150276

Is there any sticker under the hood that says the vehicle was manufactured to USA specs? This could be helpful if the buyer plans to import to USA.

There is no sticker, however because it was produced in the USA, I obtained a Certificate of Conformity letter from EPA gov which allows the Astro to be imported to all states.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
There is no sticker, however because it was produced in the USA, I obtained a Certificate of Conformity letter from EPA gov which allows the Astro to be imported to all states.

Nice. That will make things easy for any potential US buyers.

For anyone thinking about this, I "re-imported" a GTRV astro from Vancouver to the US with pretty minimal trouble. The wait in the border line took longer than doing the vehicle import paperwork at the port of entry. As a bonus, since it's US-manufactured, you don't even pay any import duty on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior