Low Profile Ice Chest

I'm looking for an ice chest that will fit in my new Thule box. Its tallest spot is about 17" tall. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I appreciate the reply but a fridge is out of my price range. About the size of that fridge is pretty much what I'm looking for though.

Honu

lost on the mainland
not sure how long you need it to last etc. I would really look at the soft RTIC maybe ?

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have a few soft coolers, small to mid-size. They seem OK for day trips but just don't seem to hold temp well enough for multi-day trips. Better than no cooler, but I'd try to fit a rotomolded cooler if possible.

perterra

Adventurer
Sure, let's design a cooler in really dark colors that absorbs sun and melts the ice faster, it's simple physics Pelican!

From my understanding the dark color is cooler if you are moving and have air flow. A reflective layer underneath brings the heat to the surface where convection removes it.

Works the same way desert animals with dark tips on guard hairs over the lighter colored inner coat of hairs work.

Dark colors warm fast with no air providing convection though.

FJOE

Regular Dude
My RTIC SoftPak 20 holds ice for multiple days, and is pretty low profile. I have played with the 30, and its the same.

perterra

Adventurer
I'm considering buying 2 of these to be able to take up less space. Would anyone advise against it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JYFGVZA/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They work pretty good, I have one of the little 7 quart ones in the back floorboard of my truck. Doesnt sweat, so far it hasnt leaked more than a few drops when it gets turned over. The 16 quart is better sized than my 7, with the 7 it's just too small for anything other than a lunch. It is a better cooler than my old Canyon Cooler beer box, but it's not a 4 or 5 day cooler.

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
I know you said you can't afford an ARB, but before you spend a lot of money on a cooler, you should seriously consider the ARB for the long haul. Once you have one, you will wonder why you put up with the ice & water routine & how you ever got along without one. Yes, they are that handy. We have an 82 qt & a 50 qt & use them all the time, even when not camping. Great for groceries when not going right home, leftovers when not going right home, ice cold drinks when watching a game, extra food & drink when entertaining. So nice not to be tethered to an ice supply.

The very first time we took ours camping, it was a 4 day Holiday weekend. Store ran out of ice on Fri. People were driving 50 miles or more 1 way, just to find ice so their food would not spoil. Glad I did not have to do that.

That does look like a good cooler, but again, because it is a cooler, 1/2 the space will be occupied by ice, so a 30 qt becomes a 15 qt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke