ECGS front differential bushing replacement?

99Yota

Observer
Hi ExPo community,

Curious is anyone has done this? If so, do these symptoms sound familiar?

Seems well documented in the Tacoma community. When accelerating through 2nd gear and part of 3rd in 2WD, the front end kind of 'shudders' and I can feel the steering wheel and front end kind of vibrating. Let off gas and it seems to stop. Doesn't happen when coasting in neutral or when coming to a stop through the same speeds. Not noticeable at all at highway speeds or really anything above 30-40 mph or so. When turning right, can sometimes hear a faint 'squeek squeek squeek' but seems to stop when wheels are pointing straight ahead.

If I partially engage the clutch from a stop, sometimes hear a clunk/noise which seems to coming from the front end. If I feather the clutch slowly off idle, I can get rolling without the clunk. If I engage 4WD, and press-release-press gas pedal lightly, I can get a metal click noise. I thought it was a loose transmission mount or transfer case mount but they're good. Checked driveshaft bolts; snug.

After binge watching youtube videos on front differential bearing failures and solutions, I'm leaning towards believing it is the front differential D side bearing but wanted to check with others to see if this sounds familiar.

I'm in Dover, NJ on a work assignment with the vehicle so I don't have access to my tools which are at home. So this will have to be a parking lot repair...hence, trying to make certain the diagnosis is correct.

Thanks much!

Eric

99 4Runner with 5spd

Last edited:

99Yota

Observer
Thanks, I'll have to give that a try (drive 4WD) and see whether that cures it.

I've put about 45K @3" with a diff drop spacer so guess it's due.

Out of curiosity, what was replacement time/cost?

I had a 01 4door tacoma with 205000 miles and had similar symptoms after putting a ome hd lift on it. Added a diff drop after about 2k and still had vibration in 2wd. Ordered ecgs bushing and drift to install, took about 2hrs on my lift to do the job (which wasn't very difficult) and had no problems afterwards. I would think any decent mechanic could tackle this for you and if the already have the bearing drift you wouldn't need to order it. Hope this helps.

99Yota

Observer
Thanks sasquatch15 and eatSleepWoof,

The bushing appears to be the go to fix in most cases as I learned today.

Unfortunately, I am back to square 1 as ECGS informed me that the bushing isn't a fix for those that have an ARB locker (and I have one). (They did mention to check the wheel bearings though.)

I did try driving in 4WD and it did seem to alleviate the vibration a little.

What makes this so puzzling is that it just happened one morning on the way to work- not during a wheeling trip.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
I bought the white kit a few years ago for my 2010 Tacoma. After plenty of research, I believe it is the best solution w/o changing carriers (I.e ARB). Sold the truck before installing it. Oops!

EDIT: may well be a wheel bearing.

99Yota

Observer
Thanks bkg,

Will add bearings on my to check list- I wouldn't have guessed bearings but who knows!

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If it came on suddenly I would suspect a wheel weight perhaps. The diff bushing, wheel bearings, etc. wouldn't start all of a sudden. They would come on either (1) when you did the lift or (b) slowly to the point that it would probably take another change (like new tires or someone else riding in the truck) to notice.

Also consider that you can get a shudder from the rear driveshaft alignment and dry u-joints. So you might also grease the Zerks if yours has them.

BTW, diff drops aren't necessary in 2nd and 3rd gen trucks and 4th+ gen 4Runner. The way the front diff mounts is different than 86-95 trucks , 1st gen Tacomas, 3rd gen 4Runners so you're not actually dropping the diff but rather rotating it. That means you might solve one misaligned angle but introduce another.

So it's best IMHO to leave the front diff in the stock location on newer trucks and work to eliminate other sources of vibrations with the ECGS bushings, high angle CVs, worn wheel bearings, etc. A diff drop is still on your radar, though.

99Yota

Observer
Thanks DaveInDenver,

Finally got it figured out- Rear CV joint up by the transfer case.

I would have never guessed as the vibration seemed like it was coming from the front.

I've had the lift on for about 130K and the diff drop for about 50K and ARB diff up front for around 35K so no changes really in quite some time.

About 7K miles ago though, I had new driveshafts put in and they came with greasable joints which I had overlooked. There was that reddish rust powder around the caps so I knew they were toast.

So now I need to decide whether to stay with greasable or go back to the sealed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles