Let's discuss the on board water storage setups.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'll start with my simple setup.
21 gallon fresh water tank under my bed, just off center, just forward of the axle of the van. A simple screw on camco filter, Shurflow 4008-101-A65 into the Eccotemp L5.

You might think that's pretty big or good, but being a full timer it can go pretty quickly especially if I have a guest or other people in camp that need.

It has me thinking about adding another tank just for sink duties, washing hands, dishes, brushing teeth and drinking. With the interior rebuild coming this fall/winter I can easily accommodate 5 to 7 gallon tank.
The large tank is currently used for everything but drinking... and last about 3-4 days. I also carry 4 gallons of water for coffee, cooking and drinking.

Does anyone have two fresh water tanks?
Mind sharing your water setups?
Gray water too?
Blackwater... yuk.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Edited to add pic.
4632-albums830-picture33389.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My system is super simple.

Natbvttl.jpg

I've got a 12gallon tank from Valterra, mounted under the bench seat. I fill this from a coiled hose with a shutoff valve, just open the rear van door and away I go. Since adding fittings is easy, I gave myself a sight gauge on the side.

1Ai506hl.jpg

A single outline line from the tank is plumbed into this box mounted at the side slider door. There's a drain valve and a manual pump plumbed in, used push-lock connectors for all the tubing.

vGmC0Lpl.jpg

This area becomes the "water bar" while we're out camping. Hydration!

12g is just about enough for us for a long weekend, given that we back it up with some extra bottled water for coffee, etc. Hot water comes via the camp stove.

We use a Dometic Porta-potti that has it's own 2.3gallon flush tank and 5 gallon black tank. I'm super happy with not having a hard-mounted black tank to deal with, as the Dometic's cassette can be dumped anywhere!

wjeeper

I must be way easier on water than you guys are! A 5 gal jug lasts me a three day weekend. When it was just me in a jeep a could make it last close to a week.

My system plan is to use a scepter jug for the tank strapped behind the fridge on the fridge slide. My thought process is a jug is easy to pull out and refill at practically any water source (gas stations, parks, campgrounds, springs, river, etc). Winter-izing should be as simple as dumping the jug out and running the pump dry. Cleaning/ inspecting the jug should be easier than a tank too.

That said we aren't living out of our van, don't plan on more than a weeklong trip and have been applying a lightweight/backpacking approach to our build.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the great replies so far!

I'm not easy on water unless I need to be. When I'm far from water I am like a camel lol. But I have filtered stream water before to use. That was awesome. And filling my tank is nothing more than sticking a hose in the hole hahah

southpier

Expedition Leader
at what "gallon-age" do tanks begin to need baffling? I have always thought 2 - 20 gallon to be a better solution than 1 - 40 gallon tank. weight distribution, size, leak-liability.

??? maybe that was 2 - 20 year olds vs 1 - 40 year old?

FDM2012

Adventurer
I'm running a 13 gallon set up, and I normally carry 4 or 5 single gallon jugs. Plus, I throw in my
3+3 DIY Berkey purifier (that I originally built for any hurricane situation that might happen here in SW Florida).
There are plenty of videos on how to build them.
Not only will it allow me replenish by purifying water from a ditch, but my swimming pool is about 26,000 gallons,
so I figure that would last for a little while in a "Grid Down" situation here at the house.
And, it would allow me to barter for food, fuel, and help my favorite neighbors.

In the future, I will add some sort of catchment system that flows directly into an onboard Berkey.
Just like you see rain barrels hooked up to a gutter system on a house. #MaybeNextYear

attachment2.jpg IMG_20170813_083508.jpg

_hein_

Observer
We have 5 gallon dedicated drinking water tank built into the back of our galley. Very glad I made provisions for it. We have great tasting water out of the tap at home but mostly fill with jugs while on the road. There is some really bad tasting tap water out there, imo. We also have a 25 gallon potable water tank under the van which we use for washing, toilet, showers, etc.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27822

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Several expedition type overland manufacturers use dual tank systems. Partially for more capacity, and partially to allow filling one take with non-potable water.

Adding a second tank with your existing pump should be fairly easy. Add a two way valve on the pumps intake side (make sure it is sized correctly to prevent pump cavitation). When needed switch between the tanks.

If you want the option to use non-potable (or just nasty tasting water) in your second tank, another pump and filter will be needed. With several two way valves, you can have redundancy, or the ability to transfer water between tanks.

I have a gray tank, but I rarely use it (leave the drain open). I don't put food down my sink, and shower water is fairly clean.

We have a 40 gallon main tank (38 usable). It is a good size for our full-time lifestyle. To stretch your tank further, you might take a look at options to reduce water consumption. A lower flow shower head (with on/off valve). Cleaning dishes without a water bath (spray bottle and paper towels). Low flow sink aerator, etc.

Our 40 gallon tank is about the maximum I would do without baffling. An exception would be a tank that is taller than it is wide. But that introduces center of gravity issues.

Have you checked how much of your existing tank you can actually use? You may have air space at the top, and dead space at the bottom reducing your usable volume by a substantial amount. Different venting, and a better pickup can improve the usable volume.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
at what "gallon-age" do tanks begin to need baffling? I have always thought 2 - 20 gallon to be a better solution than 1 - 40 gallon tank. weight distribution, size, leak-liability.

There's probably no "rule", but Valterra includes baffles on all their tanks larger than 12 gallons. Partially this is down to their design - all the tanks are 8" x 16" x some length. At 24" long, it's 12 gallons, at 30" long it's 15 gallons (and so on, up to 8"x16"x72"). They do baffles every 18 inches on the longer tanks.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I can squeeze every drop in and out of my current tank, I got lucky somehow... lol

As for splitting the pump duties, I've got a little submersible pump that would handle sink duties. Easy done.
Thanks for the thoughts!

86scotty

Cynic
I've never thought about baffles in a water tank, but I have had a few motorhomes over the years with big unbaffled tanks under the couches and beds and never noticed a need for baffles. Couldn't ever hear or feel water moving around.

polomasta

I'm currently trying to plan out my system as well.

Requirements:
- goal of being 100% off grid for up to 5 days w/ 2 people
- will have an onboard shower
- onboard, inline filtration so that I can put just about anything into it and still get drinkable water out of the tap
- capable of functioning in freezing temps
- no black water tank (going w/ composting toilet)

Big questions for me are (currently):
- what capacity fresh/grey do I actually need
- how to handle freezing temps

building out an E-450 shuttle bus so was thinking about putting tanks underneath, but currently unsure how complicated that will make dealing w/ freezing temps.

java

Expedition Leader
I have a 30 gallon fresh tank, and use a 6 gallon jug under the sink for grey. Black tank is 17G.

We use the 2.5 gallon jugs for drinking water, so 30 gallons goes quite a ways if we dont shower. Showering EATs water fast. I don't have the toilet connected to water, that helps keep toilet water use to a minimum, as well as keeping the capacity of the tank up for 'other' things. The 30 gallons should last us a week or so (probably a bit less in reality), maybe a bit less depending on cooking/washing etc. The water heater wastes a bit of water before it gets warm, so in the summer time water lasts longer too.

I like the idea of a second tank next to the existing one, one dirty one clean. There are some good discussions of crazy water filters on here somewhere

I'm currently trying to plan out my system as well.

Requirements:
- goal of being 100% off grid for up to 5 days w/ 2 people
- will have an onboard shower
- onboard, inline filtration so that I can put just about anything into it and still get drinkable water out of the tap
- capable of functioning in freezing temps
- no black water tank (going w/ composting toilet)

Big questions for me are (currently):
- what capacity fresh/grey do I actually need
- how to handle freezing temps

building out an E-450 shuttle bus so was thinking about putting tanks underneath, but currently unsure how complicated that will make dealing w/ freezing temps.

Keep your tanks and plumbing inside if you dont want them frozen, its a trade off. Mine is under the dinette bench, and I am hoping it will stay warm enough there. Its sitting on 2" of insulation before the floor, but I may need to add vents and a fan to it. Winter will tell. My HWH has a temp sensor and will kick itself on for a few seconds when it gets close to freezing.

I like my 6 gallon grey tank/jug under the sink. Helps track usage, and does not leave me toting around extra weight (we dump it before driving each day).

Water capacity needed is very dependant on usage/persona needs.

dar395

Adventurer
AZ & Cal Trip w trailers 15 574.JPG

We use a 42 gallon RV tank with a RV pump for water, with two of Us we can stay out 5-6 days an added 5 gallons in one gallon jugs are taken for drinking use. No baffle and have never felt the need, I am carrying directly over the rear axle and all seems to carry well. For the bathroom needs we use a cass unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles