Renogy/General Solar Set Up Questions

wrmmt

Adventurer
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I did a little searching and didn't find what I was looking for. I have a Renogy solar panel and MPPT charge controller that I am going to be hooking up to the dual battery system that I am putting together currently. I have tried to contact Renogy but haven't had any luck, so I thought I would see if anyone here had any information.

First Question: Does it matter how the charge controller is mounted? The manual says to mount it vertically, but that is pretty much impossible to pull off in my truck and it seems that a lot of people are mounting there controllers in box lids and other orientations other than vertical. Is the way it is mounted really that critical. Right now I am planning on mounting it vertical, but at a 90 degree angle from the normal orientation.

I am a little confused on the equalization charge stage. I get what it is conceptually, but I see a lot of problems with it. The manual for the charge controller says that it does equalization charge every 28 days, but during equalization you can't have loads connected to the battery. My problem is how does this work in the real world when you are in the middle of nowhere and need your fridge (or anything else) plugged in. Is this something that I could just turn off and not worry about? I may just be missing something, but I am a little confused here. How do other people work with this?

bdurbrow

I don't know what it looks like, but normally you mount them vertically so the fins can dissipate heat with convection taking the hot air up and drawing cool air in from the bottom. Probably the worst that will happen is it shuts down on high temp or has degraded performance as it heats up - not sure what you have for a controller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94