RTTs and lightning

AlumniCU

Last month, I was stuck up near Argentine Pass, above tree line, with the RTT set up in a strong thunderstorm. In fact, hail took out my awning. Have camped up there for 20-plus years, through all sorts of weather, but always in a ground tent.

How do you all handle at RTTs in storms, especially at high altitude? Do you ride it out or get into the vehicle? Never really thought about this until it happened. Lightning is always a risk, but watching bolts hit all around, it got me thinking RTTs at high altitude might present a unique risk?

Thoughts?

Theoretician

Adventurer
I don't much see the point to camping above the tree line in a strong storm. Why not just move to a sheltered location? Especially in a RTT when setup or take down take all of a couple of minutes each.

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
When that kind of weather is in the area, no, not a good idea to skyline camp with anything. When storms sneak up on you, if a lot of lightning, I would get in my rig and keep hands and feet away from anything metal (pedals, shifters, door handles & steering wheel). It's the metal skin of the rig that protects you, not the rubber tires. The damaging current & voltage of a lightning strike travels on the outside of any metal conductor - such as the body of a vehicle. Since a vehicle has a lot of metal parts, and most of them connected in some way, you'd do well staying on your seat cushion and carpeted floor. And also better off in your rig, than outside on terra firma. As far as RTTs being more of a risk than ground tents, I can't see any logic that would support that. Actually, I think a fiberglass hard shell RTT would be safe if you curled up in the center - staying away from struts or lift mechanisms that are usually metal. The mattress & bedding should be a good insulator. Now, soft side RTTs (& ground tents) have more metal in them - like floor supports and poles supporting the tent fabric. So, I would exit the RTT and get in your rig rather than stay in them.

kdeleon

Observer
I've woken up my family twice at 3am to move inside the vehicle. It's tricky with half asleep kids :). I would also move to the vehicle even if we were in ground tent if lightning is involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VicMackey

Adventurer
When that kind of weather is in the area, no, not a good idea to skyline camp with anything. When storms sneak up on you, if a lot of lightning, I would get in my rig and keep hands and feet away from anything metal (pedals, shifters, door handles & steering wheel). It's the metal skin of the rig that protects you, not the rubber tires. The damaging current & voltage of a lightning strike travels on the outside of any metal conductor - such as the body of a vehicle. Since a vehicle has a lot of metal parts, and most of them connected in some way, you'd do well staying on your seat cushion and carpeted floor. And also better off in your rig, than outside on terra firma. As far as RTTs being more of a risk than ground tents, I can't see any logic that would support that. Actually, I think a fiberglass hard shell RTT would be safe if you curled up in the center - staying away from struts or lift mechanisms that are usually metal. The mattress & bedding should be a good insulator. Now, soft side RTTs (& ground tents) have more metal in them - like floor supports and poles supporting the tent fabric. So, I would exit the RTT and get in your rig rather than stay in them.

I think its because most RTT's are mounted on top of metal trailers. Possibly the only metal thing for miles around.

Most ground tents are mounted on.......the ground.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
I was caught in a wicked thunderstorm this past July while I was in my RTT. Half asleep, I crawled into my Jeep and tried to fold the seats down before curling up in the passenger seat. Just didn't think it was worth the extra bit of OK sleep to risk it, though I bet I wouldn't have slept much at all if I stayed in it.

revorder

NO ONE KILLED IN A VEHICLE! interesting to look at activities when struck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles