Great T100, bad frame

jgallo1

Adventurer
Hello,

I just picked up a 1998 4x4 auto sr5 T100 and need some help

The good,
Immaculate interior, paint is in great shape, a/c blows cold, stereo is in great shape, all gauges work. The engine only has 105,xxx
on it. Mechanically it is near perfect. It was a one owner truck.

The bad,
I had a pre-sale inspection done. I bought from a guy in florida. I am located in Bozeman Mt. The local toyota dealer did the pre-sale inspection, I also spoke his mechanic. They both told me there was surface rust on the vehicle but the frame was in good shape, so had it shipped out to MT.
I brought it to my local mechanic last week when it arrived. He immediately called me and told me he would not even hoist it on his lift for fear of the frame would break in half. I then took it to the local toyota dealer, asked them for a basic inspection and they told me the same thing, both said not to drive the vehicle.

I am trying to figure out my options. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the frame? I am ok mechanically but not good enough to replace the frame.I was wondering about the basic cost of that. Should i just junk it? Is there some sort of law where the seller would have to take it back and give me my money back?

Thanks for the help

Doc_

Sammich!
Replacing a frame is costly, and it racks up a lot of collateral expenses. If you're sold on this truck and want more emotionally speaking out of this truck than simple economics, then it's worth the expense. Otherwise, and as a T100 fanatic it pains me to say this, it might not be worth the cost.

One option to consider, is whether the frame is simply split in a couple of places, or rusted through. Splits and tears can be made stronger with welding and fish plates, but if it's rot you're dealing with, it's likely not repairable.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I believe the number I heard to replace a Tacoma frame under the recall was $11,000. That was the cost to have the dealer do it and doesn't include replacing anything else, which would be suspension, brake lines, etc. that will likely be rusted just as badly. Toyota ate all the costs so you gotta figure for a guy off the street the real cost would have to be more like $15,000 when all is said and done.

AFAIK you can buy frames and if you have a way to lift the body it's been done. It's essentially what a frame-off restoration is after all.

Me, personally, I would be careful about patching a frame. It can be done and done safely but the liability would worry me. Whether you could get a pro welder to do it I think would be a coin toss.

Legally speaking, can't help definitively. I would think the inspecting dealer might have some responsibility if it doesn't pass a road worthiness inspection. But the bottom line is probably used means as-is, so you probably should have put your eyes or at least trusted eyes on it first.

One option is to find another T100 that has a solid frame. Perhaps a rolled one that didn't tweak the frame.

Last edited:

nonhog

Observer
Have to weigh the lawyer fee's vs. the loss of just letting it go. Doubt you can even get a frame from Toyota anymore. If you could it would push $5000.00 bare. Sounds like you have a case for a refund but that would likely (?) be a court case. Document everything and get ahold of the seller, dealer and mechanic and ask them how they plan on making good on this situation.
Sorry it happened to you hoping for the best.
Curious if you have pictures?

Have a lawyer friend that can write a letter for you?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Indeed, the frame is probably discontinued. I searched parts for a VCK21L-CRSSKA (XtraCab, USA, 5VZ-FE, automatic) and came up with part number 51001-34210 for the frame subassembly. This is just an example but if you want to give me your model number I can verify. In any case this comes up discontinued.

For comparison the frame for my truck is 51001-04480. The list on it is $6,552.89 but with some shopping it will usually be around the $5K nonhog mentions.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Yeah, I have been getting a few quotes anywhere from 9-15k. Looking into the legal route at the moment.

borison

Adventurer
When I first read your post, I figured it would come down to a civil suit based on the age and transaction. I think you are going to need a lawyer and this sounds expensive. Multiple plaintiffs accepting varying degrees of fault to reach an outcome that probably doesn't get you where you should or need to be. Best of luck, I feel for you.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Good luck with a civil suit. You had it inspected and then purchased it, pretty much absolving the seller of all liability. Good luck going after the dealer who did the inspection because the argument will be the scope of the inspection versus the description provided you. Dollar to donut the seller also listed it, "as is".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles