how to inspect jerry cans

taliv

Observer
may sound like a stupid question, but I see repeated recommendations to inspect your jerry cans, presumably for rust or corrosion or something but no instructions.

My camper has four total, with two used for water and two for diesel. None of them are leaking. So what's the procedure? shine a flashlight in there and look for rust?

if it was one smooth surface like plastic containers, i'd assume that would be sufficient. but these things have complex seams and i don't see how i could look in there and verify no rust. also don't think i can see the top too easy.

dogtags

may sound like a stupid question, but I see repeated recommendations to inspect your jerry cans, presumably for rust or corrosion or something but no instructions.

My camper has four total, with two used for water and two for diesel. None of them are leaking. So what's the procedure? shine a flashlight in there and look for rust?

if it was one smooth surface like plastic containers, i'd assume that would be sufficient. but these things have complex seams and i don't see how i could look in there and verify no rust. also don't think i can see the top too easy.

These pictures are from an Army magazine called PS. Hope they can help you.

~Robert

Hnoroian

Observer
Fill with water, add a small section of chain and shake rattle and roll. Pour the water through a coffee filter and you will see what you have on the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles