Fuel leak near right rear wheel

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Just did a drive from sea level up to 5500 feet in about 1 hour. Bumpy fire road and all up hill. I had topped off before the trip. From the gas station to the trail was about 15-20 miles so I was only down about one gallon. By the time I was at the peak I had probably gone through about 2 more gallons. I got out to assist some hikers who were low on water and I noticed my truck was dripping some gas near the right rear wheel. Any ideas? I was facing uphill a bit and there was a big change in atmospheric pressure due to the sea level to 5500 ft gain so could that be part of what was happening? I could not find the origin of the leak.
Please let me know if you know what might be causing the leak. When I got home the leak was gone and seems fine.

mike5

Adventurer
Check the seal for the fuel sending unit. I had the same problem where fluid was coming out from the top then dropping down and out. Otherwise you have a hole in your tank.

You can check it easily by removing the access cover that's under the carpet. See if that area is wet.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
While wheeling in Lakes Basin area a number of years ago, I had fuel leaking in the same vicinity.
After attempting numerous times to recreate the issue, I was unable to find any leak.
I parked and drove the rig up steep inclines with a completely full tank and no leak.
I've never had the problem occur again. It is still a complete mystery to me...

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Cheers

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks to both. I will pull the access panel under the seat and check it out.
I was guessing it may be related to the change in atmospheric pressure due to altitude, full tank etc...
I will give it a look.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Check the seal for the fuel sending unit. I had the same problem where fluid was coming out from the top then dropping down and out. Otherwise you have a hole in your tank.

You can check it easily by removing the access cover that's under the carpet. See if that area is wet.

Pulled off the fuel access panel under the right rear seat. It was bone dry and no sign of leaking. The gas tank has the same old scratches as it has always had. We definitely did not have any bumps or underbody collisions on this trip that would cause a gas leak.
I will keep looking.

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Possibly something to do with the pressure relief valve or the EVAP canister. Check FSM page 17-66. It shows the diagram for the full system. Both of those modules are located behind the right rear tire just past the fuel tank. Also could be the overflow hole in the fill tube.

2005 Montero Fuel System.jpg

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Possibly something to do with the pressure relief valve or the EVAP canister. Check FSM page 17-66. It shows the diagram for the full system. Both of those modules are located behind the right rear tire just past the fuel tank. Also could be the overflow hole in the fill tube.

View attachment 414230

Michael that is what I was hoping. I have no reason to believe it is due to damage. I figured that with a full tank and all up hill travel along with shaking the gas in the tank there had to be some kind of pressure relieving mechanism. As usual you supplied some good info. I will keep and eye out and see if it happens again. Thank you-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles