Who will buy Jeep from FCA?

If Jeep is sold off, it will be the beginnng of the end for Chrysler. If the reports are true, Great Wall Motors is indicating interest in Jeep. I think if that happens, Jeep as we know it will also cease to exist. Great Wall Motors is known for spotty build quality. They said at one time GM was a possible buyer for Jeep. Had GM bought Jeep, the SFA Wrangler would cease to exist, given GM's penchant for IFS 4WD. In short, the sale of Jeep will basically screw it up in the long run no matter who it gets sold to.

Jeep being up for sale, doesn't bode well for enthusiast buyers in the future.

GCWJ

If I could scrape 33 bils together from the change in my couch, Jeep would be American-owned, and privately, at that ;)

And they would ALL be solid axle!!!
Edit: I think, because we have no control over who might end up owning the name, we might be better off leaving a bread crumb for future owners to tell them what we would prefer to buy, and what might sway us away from land rovers and toyotas, and what price point we want them to hit so that we come back again and again to buy new rather than used. That's what I think might be more productive.

Edit again: I would like to see a return to basics, like solid axles (as in - crate axles ripe for diff mods), reduced vehicle electronics complexity, and I would like to see at least one model of each in the mid-size suv, full-size SUV, and pickup classes. No Jeep needs a Hellcat, Jeep is not a street car.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Edit again: I would like to see a return to basics, like solid axles (as in - crate axles ripe for diff mods), reduced vehicle electronics complexity, and I would like to see at least one model of each in the mid-size suv, full-size SUV, and pickup classes. No Jeep needs a Hellcat, Jeep is not a street car.

While I don't disagree with you, electronics are an unfortunate consequence of the modern world.

No vehicle can legally be sold without TPMS, ABS, Traction Control, Massive emissions electronics etc. etc.
Jeep is just complying with laws on that front.

As for the hellcat, I personally don't care for one - but that's not the point.
If they sell, and continue to make a profit for Jeep, then that is fantastic, and they should keep doing it.
That means there will always be money and a successful company to keep building the Jeeps I am interested in.

-Dan

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
As a Land Rover enthusiast, there was a lot of similar wailing/gnashing of teeth as Land Rover was sold to Tata Motors (Mumbai, India). By all accounts they have been good stewards of the brand - the new Land Rovers today are some of the best we've seen in a long time (compared to the BMW and Ford eras). So don't be so quick to give up hope!

Mitch502

Explorer
I would hope that a company buying Jeep knows they're not buying a automobile, but a lifestyle and culture. But that can be scary, as some cultural/lifestyle factors don't translate across well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles