Who will buy Jeep from FCA?

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's a story that says Fiat Chrysler recently refused an offer to sell Jeep to a Chinese company. But the plan at FCA remains to maximize value through divestiture of assets. First to go was Ferrari in 2015. Next probably will be Alfa Romeo and Maserati. Jeep is the most valuable asset, so it will take serious cash to buy Jeep.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fiat-chrysler-could-spin-off-jeep-maserati-alfa-romeo-2017-8

Let's say a Chinese company is successful in buying Jeep. Assuming Vehicle production for North America remains in Toledo, would foreign ownership change your opinion of Jeep?

Zeiderman

Adventurer
All mine we're proudly made in The USA, so no, and then I would have something to irritate the Rubimoms about. And from what I hear from owners of newish Jeeps they have more problems than who makes it where.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Last edited:

uberhahn

Observer
Without Jeep and Dodge, FCA (the Chrysler part) makes ZERO money. All cars that C produces are money losers. Jeep and Dodge truck are the only value. Divesting of those gets a cash influx, then Chrysler can disappear. Wouldn't make sense unless they simply want the cash. I doubt that's the play.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
[SUB][/SUB]There's is no "Dodge truck" and there hasn't been one for a couple of years. FCA spun the truck division off as the "Ram" brand. The Ram Truck division of FCA is as seperate as Jeep as a marque. This was done to make the division easier to spin off in a sale.

GCWJ

If I had 33bil, I'd buy Jeep. It wouldn't take all that long to get the cash back and then I'd have both.

Foreign ownership would change my opinion drastically if they started designing out everything that makes a Jeep. Jeep is the only off road vehicle manufacturer that embraces modifications, so if the new owners adopted the Toyota approach, it could spell disaster for future Jeep designs. Unless, of course, they were better, but that's not likely.

Mitch502

Explorer
Foreign ownership would change my opinion drastically if they started designing out everything that makes a Jeep. Jeep is the only off road vehicle manufacturer that embraces modifications, so if the new owners adopted the Toyota approach, it could spell disaster for future Jeep designs. Unless, of course, they were better, but that's not likely.

Aren't they already foreign owned?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

They were Foreign-owned BEFORE Fiat bought Chrysler.

Before Fiat there was Daimler-Benz.

Before Daimler-Benz there was Renault.........

ExploringNH

Explorer
In a few years I would love to own one of these or at least a Brute. I love the pickup truck option in a Jeep. Unless I could find somebody to convert mine over to a pickup truck. Hmmm, now the wheels are spinning.

You guys are right, but my answer was based on how the new owners handle the vehicle lineup. If they make changes to the nature of the vehicles, especially the Wrangler, that adversely affect the off-road nature of them, then yes, the new ownership would affect my feelings towards future Jeep vehicles.

I think the past owners of Jeep have kept things in good standing, retaining most of the spirit of the Jeep brand. Sure, there have been some hiccups, but overall, a Wrangler is still one of the best out of the box off-roaders available.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
In a few years I would love to own one of these or at least a Brute. I love the pickup truck option in a Jeep. Unless I could find somebody to convert mine over to a pickup truck. Hmmm, now the wheels are spinning.

I have a sawsall, come on by and I shall convert it, wont even charge ya!

onemanarmy

Explorer

Jeep will be offering a truck version of the 4 door wrangler in 2018, supposedly bringing back the 'Scrambler' name

Looks just like the 4 door AEV Brute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles