99 Jeep XJ Build

Hey Everyone!

My name is Neal, I live down in Charleston, SC. I've grown up camping and love the outdoors. Started overlanding(ish) and camping out of my Tacoma a couple years ago. I originally purchased a '15 Tacoma then added a Tuff Stuff Rooftop Tent. After a move and job change I then sold the Tacoma and 6 months ago picked up a 99 Jeep Cherokee. Below are a few pics of my old set up, the jeep when I first bought it and the current state.

Attachments

• IMG_20160602_172136004_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160602_172136004_HDR.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20170226_142314722.jpg
    IMG_20170226_142314722.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20170803_172726743_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170803_172726743_HDR.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 59
List of things done since purchase in February,

Exterior Additions,

JCR Utility Rack
Tuff Stuff Rooftop Tent

Fluids Changed,

Front and Rear Differential
Transfer Case
Brake
Radiator Flush

Suspension Components Replaced with Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Ride Kit,

Front Coil Springs
Lower Control Arms
Front Swaybar links
Rear Leaf Springs
Adjustable Track Arm
Front and Rear Mono tube Shocks

Replaced Steering Stabilizer with Pro-comp ES2000

I also had the pleasure of replacing the alternator in Advance Auto's parking lot right off 95 an hour into a 6 hour drive...it was as much fun as it sounds. Fortunately the girlfriend and I had recently replaced the alternator in her Ford Focus so we had the confidence to "know" what we were doing.

I'm gathering all of the pictures I've taken while under going this project and will continue to post updates. My goal of this is to share in the fun that I have creeped in on for the past few years and hopefully give someone else the confidence that I've grown to have while working on an expedition vehicle.

Cheers!

nice, always like to see XJs. plans?

I just installed an almost brand new suspension system, still missing a few parts to call it new. I have an overseas trip planned this fall then will be back at it with this on my punch list,

Front and rear bumper (tire carrier)
New headliner
New exhaust system
Hoping to also make a rear storage system
Get rid of all the damn RUST!
Transfer Case drop

I'm sure the list will continue to grow...

Replacing the suspension system was a pain in the a**....ever wonder how much PB blaster a rusty jeep can take?? 3 bottles down and my buddy and I still went through a few sawzall blades and grinder wheels. I haven't worked on cars/trucks/suv's very much but I've never been one to back down from a challenge. Its only nuts and bolts after all. Youtube and this forum have been an awesome resource to learn how to do all of the work I'm planning on doing but have absolutely no business getting into.

I wont go into extreme detail of the process of swapping all of these parts out, unless someone would like me to, but I will highlight a fun story I like to call "A seized leaf spring bolt causes man to drive home in rental car"

After the front suspension took us all of Saturday to do, I was hopeful that the rear would prove quicker. Boy was I wrong...The rear shocks had been replaced recently so those came off with ease. U-bolts were the same case, rear swaybar unbolted easily. I thought we was good to go, until I got to the bolt connecting the the leaf spring to the body. The driver side was difficult, 45 min to an hour for one bolt...ONE FREAKING BOLT. And this was just the tip of the iceberg.

When we got to the passenger side it took about 30 mins of playing with the same bolt until we realized it was just spinning but not backing out. After further inspection we came to the conclusion that the bolt was seized in the leaf spring bushing. We then cut the bolt head off, rotated the leaf spring enough until it popped out of the body. This was at 4 PM on a Sunday, physically and mentally exhausted we called it for that day. Did I mention this all took place in NC about 5 hours away from my house? A call to enterprise later and I headed back home in a rental with my poor jeep on jack stands in my buddies driveway.

The good friend that he is, my buddy continued to work on the jeep the following day. He cut a triangle into the welded section where the welded on nut was, at this point it was striped and knocked off the weld. He then bought the proper hardware and reattached the new leaf spring. A couple days later I came back up and within 2 hours had everything put back together. Torqued everything and bam! Good to go!

Not sure why the pics are coming out this way, but here ya go!

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    590.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0650.jpg
    IMG_0650.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 38

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I wont go into extreme detail of the process of swapping all of these parts out, unless someone would like me to, but I will highlight a fun story I like to call "A seized leaf spring bolt causes man to drive home in rental car"

I got a good laugh out of this. I think every xj owner learns the leafspring bolt lesson the hard way. Just the thought of messing with my leafspring and shackle brings visions of torches, sawzalls, and pb blaster to mind.

quicksdraw92

Nice build! Did you just buy the JCR Platform Roof Rack? How does it work with your RTT, was thinking of the same set up. I just wasn't sure the tent would mount properly on it.

Nice build! Did you just buy the JCR Platform Roof Rack? How does it work with your RTT, was thinking of the same set up. I just wasn't sure the tent would mount properly on it.

Yep, bought the utility rack. From there I had to drill 4 holes for the front 2 mounts (bolts) for the tent. Where we drilled the holes was a flat portion of the rack, near the middle so I then just attach those bolts with just the lock nuts. The rear bolts attach like normal using the metal piece as a clamp. Those front bolts were definitely knuckle busting but it's secure.

A few pictures from the first time I took the Jeep camping in Trap Hill, NC. This was pre-lift so you can see how low she's sitting. Went with the same buddy that helped me install the lift, GI Pirate.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.38.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.38.11 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.55 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.55 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.41 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.37.20 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.36.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.36.52 PM.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 38
I got a good laugh out of this. I think every xj owner learns the leafspring bolt lesson the hard way. Just the thought of messing with my leafspring and shackle brings visions of torches, sawzalls, and pb blaster to mind.

Misery loves company right! As frustrating as it was at some points I can still say I enjoyed the heck out of the entire experience.

Love your build man, I have been following it since I bought the jeep.

I wanted to share a few pictures of the jeep while on my last excursion on Portsmouth Island, NC. I'm going to do a full write up of the trip on the adventure and trip reports tab. This is one of the best places on the east coast, IMO, to get away from people and enjoy your slice of paradise. Enjoy the pics, cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.11.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.11.43 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.11.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.11.27 PM.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.04.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 10.04.44 PM.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 39
Just realized how long it's been since I've last posted! I ended up buying and selling a house, moving up from SC to VA and got engaged so there went the budget for the build....

Finally have been able to put some more time and effort into the Jeep. I had plans to put on a front and rear bumper w/tire carrier from smittybilt however the rust damage on the back end made me hesitant to add that much weight to the back end. I instead opted for a front bumper and winch combo. My lovely fiance also surprised me with a portable shower to mount on the roof rack!

Also did some maintenance, changed out the front rotors, pads and calipers-she stops so much better now! It seems they had not been maintained very well, sham on me. The driver side caliper wasn't really engaging as the slider pin was seized and on the passenger side the the caliper wouldn't disengage. Needless to say, not ideal for a lifted jeep carrying about 300 extra lbs. So once we got that all done it was on to the fun stuff!

Below are some pics of the install of the bumper and winch. This time it went much, much more smoothly than the suspension system. Taking off the old bumper was pretty easy, just a few bolts and it popped right off. The next morning was dedicated to installing the new bumper. The install was fairly straight forward but buyer beware, the instructions leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. Seems like a great product so far and certainly affordable however the install took a tad longer due to this. Maybe it's user error and if so I can live with that but wanted any potential buyers to be aware.

Once the bumper was installed, it was on to the winch. This is also a smittybilt product that paired up nicely with the bumper. The install was easy, just 4 bolts a a few cables to attach. Excited to get it out this coming weekend! I'll post some pictures when I'm back.

Attachments

• Jeep.jpg
    Jeep.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
  • Jeep3.jpg
    Jeep3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • Jeep2.PNG
    Jeep2.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • Jeep4.PNG
    Jeep4.PNG