Heating blanket questions- newbie

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
i have been thinking about how i would like to power a heating blanket in my FJ. Something i can put in the RTT inside my sleeping bag to stay warm or leave in the FJ when my dog is inside it and it might be cold. Any suggestions on what works good? im leaning twords the Goal zero battery pack stuff but i have no idea what size i would need for one maybe two nights. any they seem like the are pretty pricey. i can charge it on my built in inverter when im driving, so it doesnt need to last more then a week. any ideas? im completely ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Anything "Goal Zero" will be expensive, and that sounds like overkill for a heated blanket. Have a look at Amazon, there are tons of cheap 12v heated blankets available: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...=automotive&field-keywords=12v+heated+blanket Connect any one of these to a 12v socket in your FJ and you're done. Just keep an eye on the current draw and the drain on your battery.

Another option to consider is a heated vest/jacket. Tons of such options in the motorcycling world, and they work really well. Further, you can get heated jackets/liners from some tool manufacturers, such as Milwaukee. I was once told that an extended (ie. larger than normal) 12v Milwaukee battery can keep one of their heated jackets working for 8 hours. Not a bad portable option IMO.

the jacket thing isnt a bad idea. I am trying to avoid leaving the ignition on. I have a factory invertor in the back that i could just run a extension cord up into the tent with but i dont want to kill my battery, going to do dual batteries in the future...IDK if a heated blanket would drain a battery overnight or not.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
According to the specs on Amazon, most of those heated blankets draw about 4.5amps per hour, so there's a very good chance that your battery will be dead by the morning (if not long before that).

I'd try the Milwaukee jacket (or better yet, a vest, if that exists) with the portable battery.

the jacked are expensive and too specialized.. $200 for something with one use...i think ill pass

john61ct

Adventurer
Go to any cold-climate truck stop you can get a 12V mattress pad, goes under you not over, cheap as chips.

No need to run all night, just get things toasty for when you climb in.

chet6.7

Explorer
There have been some threads on this in the past year.From what I remember, a low voltage electric blanket can be run off of a battery,as the wall wart converts the 110 to 12V.I did not read that until after I bought a trucker's style blanket on Amazon. I have not used it, but according to the directions, it has to be fastened to the platform as a wrinkle will cause problems.I would not have to worry about that with a regular electric blanket and it could be inside a sleeping bag.I have an AGM battery to run it from.Is the size and weight of a regular AGM an issue?
This may be the thread.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/2855-Blankets-12-volt-heated-style

eaneumann

Adventurer
Supposedly Rumpl is coming out with a battery powered down blanket. They had a Kickstarter awhile ago and I think they're shipping any time now. I missed the deadline and have been holding out for one. Looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke