Arb Simpson III outer platform issue.

fordracing19

Observer
3rd night in the rtt and all 3 times the outer platform wont stay in the groove once I climb inside. I have tried the ladder in several positions.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Other than you climbing in, is there anything else? Truck/tent level? Sand/mud causing ladder to move? Anything?

rickc

Adventurer
Odd. Please describe what you mean by "won't stay in the groove". Is the outer platform sticking up? If so, I can only think of three reasons; the ladder is holding it up, something is jamming the groove joint or the two black straps inside the tent that go from front to back, over the top of the internal poles on each side, are somehow too short and not allowing the outer platform to drop all the way down.

Please post pictures so we can see better what is happening.

If you need pictures just ask; I just put my tent back up top yesterday.

fordracing19

Observer
Odd. Please describe what you mean by "won't stay in the groove". Is the outer platform sticking up? If so, I can only think of three reasons; the ladder is holding it up, something is jamming the groove joint or the two black straps inside the tent that go from front to back, over the top of the internal poles on each side, are somehow too short and not allowing the outer platform to drop all the way down.

Please post pictures so we can see better what is happening.

If you need pictures just ask; I just put my tent back up top yesterday.
I will get some tomorrow. It is in the groove until i climb up then it pops out. I g2g pee so will climb down and set the ladder out more.

rickc

Adventurer
Glad the problem is solved. The two straps are pretty important as they distribute the load from one end of the tent to the other. I sometimes lift and extend my ladder to lock it on my canopy top when no one is in the tent to make more room in the annex so when this is done, everything is hanging from the two straps. The ladder angle should be around 4:1 for safety purposes; I have a ladder extension for wobbly terrain but have not had to use it yet.

Google "roof top tent", look at the pictures; it's amazing how many pictures there are of deployed RTTs that have an upward leaning overhanging section!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles