JKU Sleeping Platform

Docc

Hello everyone, I am a new poster and I'll start by apologizing to the veteran and frequent users of the forum if this is a repeat. I have use the search function including a google search. I am looking for anyone who has built, or used a pre-fabbed sleeping platform (ie. Goose Gear) Now, I'll go ahead and say I am not using this strictly to sleep on, as I have a RTT for that purpose, but I have taken out the back seats and have ordered a 60% seat delete bracket from Goose Gear and I am going to start building my platform out of Oak Plywood(why oak? I don't know, probably because the grain pattern caught my eye).

Has anyone attempted to build such a platform that mimics Goose Gear's design, and how did you go about doing so?
I don't really want to buy theirs because I believe doing it myself would save me around $1500.
I am pretty crafty with wood, and tools but I am also a perfectionist when it comes to fit and design.

Pictures and pro tips would be much appreciate! Thanks in advance!

TheDriver

Observer
Welcome and thanks for posting. I'm in the same boat and am beginning an updated build in the same direction. I've got the original Kilby floor kit that has served me well for sleeping in it but am now doing a custom camper build with a fridge, second battery and storage specific to how I use it. I'd love to have goose gear do a custom build to my specs by they are swamped with production and I have recently had my budget significantly reduced. I'd love to collaborate on plans and ideas as I've been working toward this config for over 8 years and have a lot of ideas. BTW, I'm looking at the goose gear delete bracket too since the one I bought from AT does not seem to fit correctly and it's been too long to hassle them about it.

At this point I'm leaning toward 80/20 aluminum + Baltic birch despite the fact that the components are expensive. I've got access to a local maker space and intend to produce CAM files and a cut list that I'm going to share with the community.

Last edited:

Docc

I haven't got the delete bracket in the mail, but the other day I got a wild hair up my bum and decided to rip everything out of the jeep behind the two front seats... I am waiting on the bracket to come in the mail. I ordered it on Sunday and haven't got a confirmation of shipment yet. But I am patient. I picked up the 4x8x3/4 Oak plywood today while I was shopping at lowe's (I am a remodeler) as it caught my eye.. I really think I am going to build a frame for underneath the plywood out of 2" steel tubing and then fashion some sort of mounts to utilize the already drilled and milled holes for the removed seats.

I have seen a lot of different designs on the internet (mostly Google Images) but none exactly how I like it. Goose Gear is the only one so far to really entrench itself deep within my mind. I'd love some in depth installation photos from someone who is fortunate enough to have one of their beautifully designed products.

Docc

At this point I'm leaning toward 80/20 aluminum + Baltic birch despite the fact that the components are expensive. I've got access to a local maker space and intend to produce CAM files and a cut list that I'm going to share with the community.

Yea on top of the platform I am definitely going to use 1" aluminum framing for the drawers and fridge slide.

I found a guy on youtube who custom fabricated a kitchen galley that did amazing work.. but yet again, the entire setup minus the stove and fridge is like $2500 + freight shipping

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Hello,

This might be of some help. Start at post #229. This is my original platform that I modified extensively into what Goose Gear now sells. Post #251 gives you a break down on the costs of that project. I am simple passing this on because I know that several of you would rather build your own. With that said if you go to the length that I did in building your own, you will soon find out that the Goose Gear product is a bargain.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/6947-Gear-s-Baja-JK-Thread/page23

Cheers!

Docc

Hello,

This might be of some help. Start at post #229. This is my original platform that I modified extensively into what Goose Gear now sells. Post #251 gives you a break down on the costs of that project. I am simple passing this on because I know that several of you would rather build your own. With that said if you go to the length that I did in building your own, you will soon find out that the Goose Gear product is a bargain.

Cheers!

Gear, that looks great as I am sure you already know.
I guess, I want to do this because its a project and I just don't wanna buy a bolt on. I don't know maybe I am just crazy.

I do have a question, what did you use to make your templates for the cuts?

ivers

Observer
Hello,

Cheers!

I love your project thanks a lot for your input.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Gear, that looks great as I am sure you already know.
I guess, I want to do this because its a project and I just don't wanna buy a bolt on. I don't know maybe I am just crazy.

I do have a question, what did you use to make your templates for the cuts?

Your not crazy . There is a great satisfaction in building something from scratch. That is why I posted up. Taking a look at the photographs in my thread will give you some ideas on what it will take to make a clean platform. For the templates I'd use a thin sheet of cardboard. With a lot of trial and error. The secret to the Jeep is the underside build up. Without it you are fighting the rounded body and uneven surfaces. Have fun, enjoy it and then have it Line Xed for a professional appearance.

Docc

Jeep Platform Build

Started with a clean Slate, Didn't get a pic, but I installed the 40% seat with the Goose Gear 60% delete bracket.
clean slate.JPG
I then used a piece of angle iron and attached it to the seat foot holes using the bolts that were used for the seat.
seat support.JPG
and attached a proper sized piece of wood there to be a support for the new floor plate.
seat support1.JPG
seat support2.JPG
With the help of my helper, We started building the floor plate and build up plates
helper.JPG
build up.JPG
build up2.JPG
floor.JPG
floor2.JPG

After many trials and error, the day running low, we decided to give it a stop for the day, and will pick up next weekend trimming it out, routering the edges and finishing the mounts. I think I am going to do a special line-x and stained lettering. Also need to cut out holes for doors to the storages.

*Edit* sorry about the oreintation of the photots.. Not responsible for neck cramps :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles