LR3 - new K02s

eloist

Adventurer
Finally was able to pull the trigger on some K02's today and finally got a chance to ditch the HSE 19" wheels that came on my truck for the 18" SE wheels that have been sleeping in my garage for 2 years.
I got 265/65/18s and they look great.

Baja rack is being ordered next week.

I am bit concerned about the EAS sensor wire on the driver's side front frame rail.
How many of you guys running these tires actually relocated that wire?

For those that did, there doesn't seem to be really any slack on mine so I'm curious as to how you did it.

PICS:

2DcH1hJ.jpg

91nOZNq.jpg

T223NmQ.jpg

iowalr4

Adventurer
I have an LR4, but I assume it is similar. I took the wire harness off its little mounts and then put a heavy duty zip tie through the arm that goes up from the frame. I also used a smaller tie around the wires further back, up to the hard lines running back there.

I think as long as its not sticking outward past the frame from that suspension upper support it can't rub. I also have 265/65R18. They didn't really rub under normal driving, but I didn't want to risk it.

IMG_20170721_184930-X2.jpg

jwalk04Disco

Observer
Finally was able to pull the trigger on some K02's today and finally got a chance to ditch the HSE 19" wheels that came on my truck for the 18" SE wheels that have been sleeping in my garage for 2 years.

I am bit concerned about the EAS sensor wire on the driver's side front frame rail.

For those that did, there doesn't seem to be really any slack on mine so I'm curious as to how you did it.

PICS:

2DcH1hJ.jpg

91nOZNq.jpg

T223NmQ.jpg

looks great!

Is yours stock height? I'm wanted to do a 285 or 275/65/18 but read 265-285/60/18 was the only size without a lift.

eloist

Adventurer
Yes, stock height, no lift rods, and I don't plan on using them.

These tires do rub a little bit at full lock in reverse in the front. Be warned.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

iowalr4

Adventurer
I wish we could stop a certain overpriced rod seller from spreading misinformation about lifts being required for tire sizes.

If you put too large a tire on your rig, its going to rub, no matter what height you sit at. What happens off road when you put the wheel up into the wheel well? What does the resting height have to do with it?!?!?!

MetalDog

Observer

PICS:

2DcH1hJ.jpg

91nOZNq.jpg

T223NmQ.jpg

That looks awesome! Please reconsider the Baja Rack, they are absolute rubbish. Literally dozens of horror stories of them rusting out, creating flat spots and other issues with their design and powder coating. Just check Youtube and IH8MUD.

eloist

Adventurer
I literally ordered the Baja rack about an hour ago haha.

I have read lots of great reviews actually. I really like the look of it, and the size. I am going to roll the dice on it.
I do not like the front runner, or the pro speed, and I dont particually care for the Gobi racks either. For me, the baja rack looks to be the only one that ticks all my checkboxes.

We shall see how it goes!

no-pistons

Adventurer
I have the Baja Rack on my 100 series Cruiser and I love it. It gets a lot of heavy use and I've never experienced any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eloist

Adventurer
So I've had a TPMS warning fault since the install, was hoping a few days driving would allow the system to relearn the new sensors. I had 4 new sensors installed by the tire shop.
Checked the receipt today and they put in 433mhz sensors, and I'm 98% certain my model year calls for 315mhz sensors.

So... I've got a date with the tire shop tomorrow morning.

Congrats on the rack order and I do not think you will be disappointed. I will caveat that same statement as saying the reason FR and so many other racks are popular globally is because of the aluminum design. For southern California or straight desert environment, you will probably be okay for the long term. The minute you scratch the powercoat, youre exposed to cancer anywhere else in the world and the days are numbered. The welds are going to be the first point of corrosion under the PC, it's just a hard place to completely rid of contamination unless its acid dipped prior to PC and then immediately sealed and primed.

That was my biggest selling point, aluminum contruction for weight and corrosion prevention. My TR front steel bumper is starting to rust and its been less than a year. A couple of scratches and there is no controlling it and of course the welds as I mentioned above at the bull-bar.

My roof rack corners on the FR are corroded and I think that is bad pot aluminum and FR needs to quality check that because I know I am not the only one dealing with it. Not to mention, 10 years into the design and still no factory wind fairing option! :coffee: However, the rest of the rack is scratched up pretty good from trail rash and roof rack gymnastics with kit, absolutely nothing to worry about outside of asthetics. That is not the same luxury with a steel rack. I wet installed the Grade 8 hardware to the roof, and replacing all of the M8 and M6 bolts with stainless in not structural areas.

Aluminum, steel, and cadium are three things that do not work well with each other. Wet install all of your roof hardware with corrosion preventative compound (CPC) and you should be okay.

You are 100% on the mark about looks and design. They have all the right things covered I think outside of not going with stainless at a minimum for construction. I believe I would pay a few hundred more for the materials to add to longevity but stainless is also brittle so I can see why they do not like that for roof racks either as they crack at joints relatively easy.

These were just a few reasons I stayed with the FR rack.

I literally ordered the Baja rack about an hour ago haha.

I have read lots of great reviews actually. I really like the look of it, and the size. I am going to roll the dice on it.
I do not like the front runner, or the pro speed, and I dont particually care for the Gobi racks either. For me, the baja rack looks to be the only one that ticks all my checkboxes.

We shall see how it goes!

Do you have a GAP II Tool? It will tell you if its all or just one faulty sensor. You can also do a re-cal for the TPMS on the GAP.

If not, its about 4 months away for Christmas and time to start selling it to your lady for a stocking stuffer....hahaha

So I've had a TPMS warning fault since the install, was hoping a few days driving would allow the system to relearn the new sensors. I had 4 new sensors installed by the tire shop.
Checked the receipt today and they put in 433mhz sensors, and I'm 98% certain my model year calls for 315mhz sensors.

So... I've got a date with the tire shop tomorrow morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles