BATTERY SUGGESTIONS?

Stouttrout

Adventurer
After 5 years my Werker 12v 100AH Sealed lead Acid Batteries have died out. I have two mounted inside the Stealth Cargo camper. I am wondering what you guys are using and like. Do you think it is necessary to go with a SLA battery since it is inside the camper? I had Morning Star PS15 charging them. I put the X2Power batteries int he RV but they are mounted outside. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC03547_zpsn6afgzjt.jpg
    DSC03547_zpsn6afgzjt.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 14

Bear in NM

Adventurer
I went with Duracell for my portable solar center last year, and this year in my new Cargo "off-road" trailer. Not a lot of years worth of experience, but from what I can gather here, these Duracell (2 35's and 2 80's) are made by Dekka or East Penn, and these makers have a good reputation. I have been happy so far. Picked all of them up at Batteries Plus/Bulbs Plus.

I went with agm for both sets, as my portable solar box and the trailer batteries are used indoors, so to speak. While the agm can vent bad gasses, it would be more of an anomaly, as opposed to a conventional wet cell that is more typical to vent. Plus, I have my trailer batteries in a box on wheels, that I can roll into a better position for traveling. Decided that AGM would be better.

Might be helpful if you clarify what you mean by "put them in the RV, but mount outside". If they are outside when charging, then my second consideration does not apply to you.

Looks like a fun combination you have there. I spent a lot of years stuffing things in, on and around a Wrangler.

Craig

Stouttrout

Adventurer
The RV has them mounted not he outside so fuming isn't really an issue. The Cargo camper has them mounted on the inside. I had hoped to get more than 5 years out of the werkers. I will check out the Duracell's at battery plus. Thanks.

Bear in NM

Adventurer
Ah, got it. 2 battery locations/vehicles. Personally, I am not comfortable with non-sealed batteries inside my trailer. I won't know for a few more years how the duracells will hold up, but I am treating them correctly, no draining below 50%, and topping them up on a good charger over night, when I am back.

There are more than a few threads here on batteries, but in the end it almost seems like it ends up being a crap shoot.

Craig

I went with an Amazon 'Universal Power Group' AGM battery last year and it has worked flawlessly thus far. 100ah (and it really is, did a number of tests) for $160 bucks. I like the simplicity of sealed batteries as I keep mine in a power box I can unplug and put wherever I need it (inside, out, exc). I posted the exact title below because I cannot yet post links.

Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery 12V 24V 48V(Black)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles