Tire Size Question

OlivierSM

Hi guys,

I currently have BFGoodrich MTs mounted: LT255/85R16.

I understand the numbers, width, percentage of width = height, radial construction & rimsize.

I am looking to get myself some new tires (Cooper STT's ) however they don't have the same sizes. How can I determine what size tires my Defender can take and what not?

Thanks,
Olivier

AdvRovr

Ambitious but Rubbish
Building on what Umbrarian said, then you can go to Cooper's website and open the "Sizes and Specs" link, which will list all the sizes they offer for the STT. They have a column that lists the exact diameter of the tire in each size. Nitto does this as well, as do many of the tire manufacturers.

So, once you determine the max diamater and width you want to go, just pick the size that matches up.

You'll also want to watch for rim width to make sure you aren't choosing a tire too wide/narrow for your rim, and to make sure the weight rating is sufficient.

OlivierSM

Actually I wasn't very clear, the size they have are: LT245/75R16 or LT265/75R16.
So no conversion required for me.

My dilemma is I don't know what to pay attention to whether I can go for the 265ers or not.

psykokid

Explorer
255/85R16 is about perfect for most defenders. Cooper has the ST Maxx in 255/85R16 fwiw. If you are set on the STT's then the 265/75R16 will fit fine. A little wider than the 255/85, but I know plenty of guys that have run that size on their Defenders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94