High mileage engine

hava982931

Greetings all:

Long-time lurker, and looks like I'll finally be able to join the Expo vanners club. Looking at a friend's 2003 Ford E-350 EB cargo van with over 220,000 ++ miles that I plan to turn into an expedition vehicle. Used to be a florist delivery van and they drove the **** out of it. Also told it once sat for about a year before a new battery started it back up.

My question is: what's the best way to "refresh" this old engine without spending too much money at this time? I'm not the most competent mechanic, and I just want some peace of mind before I go too far off the beaten path with this thing. Other than replacing all fluids, radiator flush, change belts and hoses, anything else I should do for right now?

Should I start saving my pennies for a full engine rebuild soon, or before taking it on my dream trip to Alaska?

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Honestly if you are going to be relying on this van to be your sole source of transportation in very remote areas solo I would look for something that hasn't been run into the ground. You never know what condition the tranny is in and if the engine sat for a year you have no idea if they did a proper start up procedure on a long term storage engine. Even if you have the engine oil tested, compression tested, bores scoped and all looks well it is still a crap shoot.
Unless you get it for a song and have enough to do a engine and tranny rebuild I would look for something that wasn't treated so bad. City driven vehicles...especially those that are driven by various employees have a very rough life and tons of things could need replacement before it is reliable....
If you get it I would replace the plugs, wires (cap/rotor if equipped)
Also pull all the wheels and check bearings, brakes, ball joints...anything that slides, rotates, twists etc. in the driveline and steering system. anything rubber also including brake lines.
My $.02

Darrell

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
There's all sorts of refreshing available for that motor and many others, but before you invest a penny do a leak down and compression tests first to determine the actual condition first.
This will help narrow down the needs of the motor, if any

I'd be more concerned with the transmission, frame and axle(s) first because the 351 is a stout and robust motor.

Deshet

Adventurer
I don't think the vans had a 5.8 in 2003.
It may be a 5.4

These gas engines last a very long time. I have seen them last over 400,000 miles. If it runs good now it will likely run for a long time.

Good luck with it

hava982931

All good points. I'm hoping to only pay $2000 or so for it, so if it costs me $3k-5k in engine/transmission repairs or upgrades, and it would last me another 200k miles, then I wouldn't get too upset over it. But yeah, compression test sounds like a good place to start. Thanks for the input!

Corneilius

Adventurer
Yeah its likely a 5.4 which if taken care of last for MILES and MILES trouble free.

If it was a delivery rig its more likely you'll be spending money on suspension bushings, steering components, and interior components. They take a beating on delivery rigs. Stuff like an updated doghouse console and new door seals goes a LONG way towards making a high mileage van comfortable again

wjeeper

I will echo what others have said. $7000 could buy you a much lower mileage van that hasn't already been run into the ground. Then you can spend your time enjoying a mechanically sound rig and not spend all your time rebuilding/repairing it. Why was the van just parked for a year? Seems the owners didn't trust it to me. Econoline vans are so ubiquitous they are literally everywhere.

That said I bought a van with 200k on the ticker, however it was a harder factory AWD, l already have an account going for drive train rebuilds.

Corneilius

Adventurer
I will echo what others have said. $7000 could buy you a much lower mileage van that hasn't already been run into the ground. Then you can spend your time enjoying a mechanically sound rig and not spend all your time rebuilding/repairing it. Why was the van just parked for a year? Seems the owners didn't trust it to me. Econoline vans are so ubiquitous they are literally everywhere.

That said I bought a van with 200k on the ticker, however it was a harder factory AWD, l already have an account going for drive train rebuilds.

Good Points. I bought my van with 190k on the 5.4. But it had been babied its whole life and was in good shape cosmetically. Its always worth it to start with the nicest van you can afford. You'll end up miles ahead. Does that van have power windows and locks? Rear AC? Both are VERY nice features to have

swedishSTile

Observer
The 5.4 is a long lived engine, ubiquitous and easily rebuilt/replaced if it goes. At 220 miles you have other concerns:

Belts/ hoses/ anything rubber: these all get soft and rot over time and I have chased leaky coolant lines all over vehicles of similar age and mileage
bushings/wheel bearings/ball joints/tail shaft seal/diff seal: These begin to need replacement around 200K and go at random intervals
automatic transmission: You are probably getting close to end of life at 220k if the van has been abused.

If you are mechanically inclined, dont mind replacing a bunch of wear items and can get the van CHEAP, and cosmetically its ok, then go for it. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more and get a lower mileage van.

hava982931

Yeah its likely a 5.4 which if taken care of last for MILES and MILES trouble free.

If it was a delivery rig its more likely you'll be spending money on suspension bushings, steering components, and interior components. They take a beating on delivery rigs. Stuff like an updated doghouse console and new door seals goes a LONG way towards making a high mileage van comfortable again

Pardon my ignorance, but would these suspension bushings replacement be part of a 4x4 conversion, or is that not included?

hava982931

The 5.4 is a long lived engine, ubiquitous and easily rebuilt/replaced if it goes. At 220 miles you have other concerns:

Belts/ hoses/ anything rubber: these all get soft and rot over time and I have chased leaky coolant lines all over vehicles of similar age and mileage
bushings/wheel bearings/ball joints/tail shaft seal/diff seal: These begin to need replacement around 200K and go at random intervals
automatic transmission: You are probably getting close to end of life at 220k if the van has been abused.

If you are mechanically inclined, dont mind replacing a bunch of wear items and can get the van CHEAP, and cosmetically its ok, then go for it. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more and get a lower mileage van.

Good advice. Cosmetically, the van is in surprisingly good shape. Most comparable vans go for quite a bit more in my area (L.A.). It sat for about a year after the florist went out of business.

86scotty

Cynic

I totally agree, however, I don't think 220k on a 5.4 is bad at all. If it's been rode hard and put up wet then that's a different story. A 5.4l gas Econoline is probably one of the most durable vehicles ever made and a big reason most of us keep improving them long after their demise. Personally I'd find a newer one but depending on the specifics this one might be fine.

derjack

Adventurer
Greetings all:

Long-time lurker, and looks like I'll finally be able to join the Expo vanners club. Looking at a friend's 2003 Ford E-350 EB cargo van with over 220,000 ++ miles that I plan to turn into an expedition vehicle. Used to be a florist delivery van and they drove the **** out of it. Also told it once sat for about a year before a new battery started it back up.

My question is: what's the best way to "refresh" this old engine without spending too much money at this time? I'm not the most competent mechanic, and I just want some peace of mind before I go too far off the beaten path with this thing. Other than replacing all fluids, radiator flush, change belts and hoses, anything else I should do for right now?

Should I start saving my pennies for a full engine rebuild soon, or before taking it on my dream trip to Alaska?

I personally would not be too worried about the engine itself. IF anything - it´s probably more around the engine: alternator, injectors, spark plugs/coils/.

Thouht everything else has also 220k miles, like tranny, wheel bearings etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles