First Gen Tundra Dual Batteries

skywhitney

Squirrel
Hey everyone, I need some advice and opinions. I want to install dual batteries in my 2003 tundra, easy enough. I already have 90% of everything I need. My dilemma is where to locate the secondary battery. I have enough knowledge to be dangerous but i wouldnt call myself proficent in auto electronics by any means.

I have 3 options with pro/con but still viable:
1) Both batteries in stock location side by side. This would require a custom tray, mounting it to the frame, and moving the fuse box.
2) over passenger wheel. This would require relocating the power steering reservoir and ABS module. Not super thrilled with the idea of messing the the ABS hardlines honestly.
3) Locate the aux battery to the bed. This would need large gauge unwieldy cables and take up valuable space since we sleep back there (2 adults and a toddler).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20170509_142618-M.jpg

20170509_142557-M.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

skywhitney

Squirrel
I had the same dilemma with my 3rd gen Taco. First had the aux battery behind the passenger rear seat, then moved to a side-by-side setup in the original battery location.
I thought about doing an in cab setup behind the drivers seat too but that's not really plausible with a toddler and needing my rear seats at times.

How do you like the side by side setup compared to it being located further away?

skywhitney

Squirrel
The battery would be behind the seat, so the seats would still be useable.

The side by side setup is nice, but there is this issue to worry about (on our trucks): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/engine-oil-fill-spout-on-truck.505419/
I don't have any room behind my rear seats so the battery would have to be located on the floor behind the drivers seat.

That issue with the oil spouts sounds horrible so thankfully that won't be an issue on my truck. It's good to think about though, I hadn't thought to much about what all might be running into tight clearances with a new tray. I don't think much but it's definitely worth looking at closer.

Cletus26

Adventurer
I have mine between the ABS module and the air box. I'm using a group 34 size yellow top. All I did was move the power steering reservoir by unbolting it and shifting it over (re used I believe only 1 bolt) then used the remaining factory holes for a simple battery box I made out of puck board (plastic) could easily make one from metal too. It's been like that for 60k miles and lots of off-roading so in my experience very reliable.
8686850acf4d42d7357136b87cb24673.jpg
870ba08f4f367aa82db2ca8a847bc624.jpg
05ee2ccd28ebc411008a59cf6b0949b1.jpg

skywhitney

Squirrel
I have mine between the ABS module and the air box. I'm using a group 34 size yellow top. All I did was move the power steering reservoir by unbolting it and shifting it over (re used I believe only 1 bolt) then used the remaining factory holes for a simple battery box I made out of puck board (plastic) could easily make one from metal too. It's been like that for 60k miles and lots of off-roading so in my experience very reliable.
8686850acf4d42d7357136b87cb24673.jpg
870ba08f4f367aa82db2ca8a847bc624.jpg
05ee2ccd28ebc411008a59cf6b0949b1.jpg
That's good to see. Thanks for posting those pictures.

I have a group 34 Odyssey so I'll have to play around with it more tomorrow. I have a battery tray that I was hoping to use so maybe with a little modification the tray would work pretty well and not be in the way.

20170803_133116-M.jpg

20170803_133056-M.jpg

skywhitney

Squirrel
Put it under the bed, side by side under hood, or put in a larger one, say a 31.
I looked under the bed originally but couldn't find anywhere I felt comfortable putting it. I am going to replace my main battery to another group 34 Odyssey when the time for a new battery comes.

I went and looked at what all would be needed to move forward with the side by side tray and my gut feeling is that it'll be more work than it's worth. I'm now thinking between the air box and ABS is the way to go.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
Re-Post from the Electrical Forum. If you have any questions, just let me know. About 6 months later, I have had no issues and more power than I'll need for a fridge/winch/CB ect. I plan on putting a Air Compressor next to the ABS module. I have no need for dual 31/34 batteries, thats alot of weight and juice. My PC1200 has no issues running my fridge for 2-3 days in 30C+ temps. Happy I went this way. That being said, since you already have one, and need the capacity. I was going to push the PS reservoir 2-3 inches towards the engine and that would of allowed me to get a PC1500 battery in that spot.

Original Thread - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...Completed-Blue-Sea-ML-ACR-and-Odyssey-PC1200s

Well, the dual battery and fuse block install is done.

I have been wanting to do something about my battery for a while. My 8 year old NAPA battery was getting a bit long in the tooth and I wanted to replace it with something a bit better. I was eyeing up the dimensions of a Odyssey PC2150 and PC1500 to see if I could shoe horn 1 or 2 in my engine bay. The one spot I could get a second Group 34 battery would be near the PS Reservoir/ABS Module. That spot has been earmarked for an air compressor so that was out of play. I wanted to keep the cable runs short and while looking at other setups on the interwebs, I came across a few people who were running dual Odyssey PC1200's. A bit more research and I was sold.

While a smaller battery physically, the PC1200 is certainly no slouch. With 540CCA and 1200 Pulse Hot Cranking Amps (5-seconds) starting would not be a concern. After I got the batterys I actually took the old one out of the truck, hooked it up, let a new uncharged (arrived at 12.5V) PC1200 sit overnight outside in -40C for 12 hours. I wanted to see if one could do the job and the next morning sure enough no problems. I was sold. If I needed it, I could have 1080CCA and 2400PCHA running them in parallel. With 42Ah nomial capacity and 78 reserve capacity minutes it would certainly run any fridge I'd need overnight and then some before getting re-charged. Also, a svelt 38.2 lbs, I was gonna be at just shy of 80lbs for both, the same weight as a PC2150.

Shameless plug, but thank you Enersys for sending me the two batteries.

20161210_220446.jpg

When it came to controllers/relays/solenoids, I there are ALOT of options. I have been a huge fan of Blue Sea Systems for years and they make some solid 12VDC kit. While a bit on the $$ side, you get what you pay for. I went with the Blue Sea 7622, a 500 Amp magnetic latching (bi-stable) relay which can automatically combines batteries during charging and isolates batteries needed. It draws very low votage, less than 40mA when off and can be configured in a few different isolation modes. The 7622 came with the rocker switch, a nice Contura V, and has the yellow latch on top of the unit itself incase you have any issues with the remote and need to force combine them.

To hold the batteries, I whipped up a bracket out of some 2" 1/8 thick angle iron. Two square nuts and a 7in 3/8x16 bolt work together for the tie down. The top is a piece of 16GA 3/4 square tied together with a chunk of 1/8 flat bar. The ML-ACR is attached via a 16GA bracket, drilled the tapped for some M5 Hex Bolts.

20161212_153441.jpg

Once I got it in the truck and test fit, I welded it to the stock sheet metal and gave it a coat of paint.

With the bracket out of the way, I could start working on the wiring. I was going to do the "Big 3" upgrade using 2GA wire. However, after looking at where the - Battery to Chassis/Engine ground was, and not wanting to re-run that cable, I stuck with the OEM stuff which looks dead in between 2GA and 4GA. Automotive jacketing is deceiving. Either way, even with my upgraded alternator @ 130AMPs, still in the specs and ratings for that cable. Also, since I got left post positive batteries, the OEM fusebox, alternator and ground cables all reached where I needed them to go. So that was selling point number two.

So, the wiring is pretty straight forward. Blue Sea gives you great wiring diagrams and if you have any questions, you can call their tech support. I wanted to make sure I could run the unit hoirzontally and also wanted to clarify where is best to pick up my grounds, and they were easy to work with and happy to help.

All of the cables on the 7622 are made from 2GA welding cable. They were all crimped and then soldered then wrapped with flex wrap and heat shrinked. Looks good and works great. I actually laughed at the ones I made for the + Battery to ML-ACR terminals because its pretty much the smallest piece of 2GA I've ever seen. I actually had to cut about 1/4 off of each of the copper cable lugs to get it to fit the distance I needed.
20161214_151300.jpg

I got all the big cables done for the ML-ACR, and man oh man I love me some 3/8 screw top terminals. I just converted my old cables to mil style battery terminals before I did this, but I am in love with screw tops now. To easy.

When I was ready to start running the 2 AMP fused line to the control switch, I realized I needed to get my install done on my fuse panel/breaker, as that's where I wanted to take that from. A few hours later and some CAD (cardboard aided design) a bit of plasma cutting and some bending, some grinder and file work, I had a piece of 16GA formed up and ready to go. Design is nothing crazy, but it does what I needed it to do. Holds the Blue Sea 5025, 100AMP 187 Breaker and my switch for my underhood LED's. Also, on the back, I left space for 3 relays to be bolted onto the back.

Here you can see me using a socket as a spacer to figure out height for mounting. I had my fenders off at this moment, so I drilled the side of the truck and put weld nut son the back side. Beats drilling a hole and using self tapping metal screws. Also, with the lack of space in that area, I had to cover one fuse box. Newer Toyotas seem to have moved to one single big fuse box, instead of 3 separate ones. Either way, I can still get the lid off, check the diagram on the top if I am having any issues and if I had to change out something on the back side, all I'd have to do is pop the - on the 5025, + on the breaker and the two M6 bolts holding it in. I've owned the truck for 4 years and the only fuse I've blown was a towing related fuse. Certainly nothing to worry about to leave me stranded.

20161214_184040.jpg

Once I got the tray finalized and mounted up, I made the 4GA cables for the fuse block the same was as before. Crimped, soldered, flex wrap and then heat shrunk.

Once the fuse block was installed, and my underhood lights, LED bar and ML-ACR ground was all rounted and out of the way, I could now finish off the in cab wiring for the rocker switch.

20161216_140722.jpg

20161216_154628.jpg

and put the switch in, just below the driver steering wheel. Sits by my right knee. I wanted it a bit out of the way since the two red led's are on when the batteries are combined/charging. I was thinking about wiring it up to my dimmer system in the truck, but I just don't have any good visible spots to put switches anymore, and the ones in the center cubby are ear marked for air compressor/locker switches.

20161216_191222.jpg

So that's pretty much it. Very happy with how it turned out. Went for a quick test drive tonight and everything worked flawlessly.

Some final pictures -

20161216_191117.jpg

20161216_191136.jpg

20170222_165428.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That setup rocks wrenchMonkey, nice job.

I should mention one thing about doing it this way (I have two batteries in the stock location, too, FWIW) is the weight. There's already some concern with the stock battery causing wear and tear to the bib sheet metal and over the front mount, so adding more weight there isn't ideal. I replaced my OEM front mounts with larger, stiffer polyurethane ones but really I need to get my act together and add a brace from the battery tray to the frame.

skywhitney

Squirrel
Re-Post from the Electrical Forum. If you have any questions, just let me know. About 6 months later, I have had no issues and more power than I'll need for a fridge/winch/CB ect. I plan on putting a Air Compressor next to the ABS module. I have no need for dual 31/34 batteries, thats alot of weight and juice. My PC1200 has no issues running my fridge for 2-3 days in 30C+ temps. Happy I went this way. That being said, since you already have one, and need the capacity. I was going to push the PS reservoir 2-3 inches towards the engine and that would of allowed me to get a PC1500 battery in that spot.

Original Thread - http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...Completed-Blue-Sea-ML-ACR-and-Odyssey-PC1200s

Well, the dual battery and fuse block install is done.

I have been wanting to do something about my battery for a while. My 8 year old NAPA battery was getting a bit long in the tooth and I wanted to replace it with something a bit better. I was eyeing up the dimensions of a Odyssey PC2150 and PC1500 to see if I could shoe horn 1 or 2 in my engine bay. The one spot I could get a second Group 34 battery would be near the PS Reservoir/ABS Module. That spot has been earmarked for an air compressor so that was out of play. I wanted to keep the cable runs short and while looking at other setups on the interwebs, I came across a few people who were running dual Odyssey PC1200's. A bit more research and I was sold.

While a smaller battery physically, the PC1200 is certainly no slouch. With 540CCA and 1200 Pulse Hot Cranking Amps (5-seconds) starting would not be a concern. After I got the batterys I actually took the old one out of the truck, hooked it up, let a new uncharged (arrived at 12.5V) PC1200 sit overnight outside in -40C for 12 hours. I wanted to see if one could do the job and the next morning sure enough no problems. I was sold. If I needed it, I could have 1080CCA and 2400PCHA running them in parallel. With 42Ah nomial capacity and 78 reserve capacity minutes it would certainly run any fridge I'd need overnight and then some before getting re-charged. Also, a svelt 38.2 lbs, I was gonna be at just shy of 80lbs for both, the same weight as a PC2150.

Shameless plug, but thank you Enersys for sending me the two batteries.

20161210_220446.jpg

When it came to controllers/relays/solenoids, I there are ALOT of options. I have been a huge fan of Blue Sea Systems for years and they make some solid 12VDC kit. While a bit on the $$ side, you get what you pay for. I went with the Blue Sea 7622, a 500 Amp magnetic latching (bi-stable) relay which can automatically combines batteries during charging and isolates batteries needed. It draws very low votage, less than 40mA when off and can be configured in a few different isolation modes. The 7622 came with the rocker switch, a nice Contura V, and has the yellow latch on top of the unit itself incase you have any issues with the remote and need to force combine them.

To hold the batteries, I whipped up a bracket out of some 2" 1/8 thick angle iron. Two square nuts and a 7in 3/8x16 bolt work together for the tie down. The top is a piece of 16GA 3/4 square tied together with a chunk of 1/8 flat bar. The ML-ACR is attached via a 16GA bracket, drilled the tapped for some M5 Hex Bolts.

20161212_153441.jpg

Once I got it in the truck and test fit, I welded it to the stock sheet metal and gave it a coat of paint.

With the bracket out of the way, I could start working on the wiring. I was going to do the "Big 3" upgrade using 2GA wire. However, after looking at where the - Battery to Chassis/Engine ground was, and not wanting to re-run that cable, I stuck with the OEM stuff which looks dead in between 2GA and 4GA. Automotive jacketing is deceiving. Either way, even with my upgraded alternator @ 130AMPs, still in the specs and ratings for that cable. Also, since I got left post positive batteries, the OEM fusebox, alternator and ground cables all reached where I needed them to go. So that was selling point number two.

So, the wiring is pretty straight forward. Blue Sea gives you great wiring diagrams and if you have any questions, you can call their tech support. I wanted to make sure I could run the unit hoirzontally and also wanted to clarify where is best to pick up my grounds, and they were easy to work with and happy to help.

All of the cables on the 7622 are made from 2GA welding cable. They were all crimped and then soldered then wrapped with flex wrap and heat shrinked. Looks good and works great. I actually laughed at the ones I made for the + Battery to ML-ACR terminals because its pretty much the smallest piece of 2GA I've ever seen. I actually had to cut about 1/4 off of each of the copper cable lugs to get it to fit the distance I needed.
20161214_151300.jpg

I got all the big cables done for the ML-ACR, and man oh man I love me some 3/8 screw top terminals. I just converted my old cables to mil style battery terminals before I did this, but I am in love with screw tops now. To easy.

When I was ready to start running the 2 AMP fused line to the control switch, I realized I needed to get my install done on my fuse panel/breaker, as that's where I wanted to take that from. A few hours later and some CAD (cardboard aided design) a bit of plasma cutting and some bending, some grinder and file work, I had a piece of 16GA formed up and ready to go. Design is nothing crazy, but it does what I needed it to do. Holds the Blue Sea 5025, 100AMP 187 Breaker and my switch for my underhood LED's. Also, on the back, I left space for 3 relays to be bolted onto the back.

Here you can see me using a socket as a spacer to figure out height for mounting. I had my fenders off at this moment, so I drilled the side of the truck and put weld nut son the back side. Beats drilling a hole and using self tapping metal screws. Also, with the lack of space in that area, I had to cover one fuse box. Newer Toyotas seem to have moved to one single big fuse box, instead of 3 separate ones. Either way, I can still get the lid off, check the diagram on the top if I am having any issues and if I had to change out something on the back side, all I'd have to do is pop the - on the 5025, + on the breaker and the two M6 bolts holding it in. I've owned the truck for 4 years and the only fuse I've blown was a towing related fuse. Certainly nothing to worry about to leave me stranded.

20161214_184040.jpg

Once I got the tray finalized and mounted up, I made the 4GA cables for the fuse block the same was as before. Crimped, soldered, flex wrap and then heat shrunk.

Once the fuse block was installed, and my underhood lights, LED bar and ML-ACR ground was all rounted and out of the way, I could now finish off the in cab wiring for the rocker switch.

20161216_140722.jpg

20161216_154628.jpg

and put the switch in, just below the driver steering wheel. Sits by my right knee. I wanted it a bit out of the way since the two red led's are on when the batteries are combined/charging. I was thinking about wiring it up to my dimmer system in the truck, but I just don't have any good visible spots to put switches anymore, and the ones in the center cubby are ear marked for air compressor/locker switches.

20161216_191222.jpg

So that's pretty much it. Very happy with how it turned out. Went for a quick test drive tonight and everything worked flawlessly.

Some final pictures -

20161216_191117.jpg

20161216_191136.jpg

20170222_165428.jpg
Thanks for reposting that! Awesome write up and easy to understand. That is almost dead on what I want my final outcome to be, a few differences (National Luna system and a 4x4 sPod). I will absolutely be referring back to this post for some ideas on how to get things situated and mounted.

skywhitney

Squirrel
That setup rocks wrenchMonkey, nice job.

I should mention one thing about doing it this way (I have two batteries in the stock location, too, FWIW) is the weight. There's already some concern with the stock battery causing wear and tear to the bib sheet metal and over the front mount, so adding more weight there isn't ideal. I replaced my OEM front mounts with larger, stiffer polyurethane ones but really I need to get my act together and add a brace from the battery tray to the frame.
The Odyssey battery is heavy so I knew without a brace to the frame having both batteries located there would tear up the sheet metal in no time. Easy enough to do though which is why this location is still a top contender for me.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yup. I run a group 25/35 pair of PC1400 Odysseys, which combined are about 100 lbs. The stock Truestart group 27F was listed as 72 lbs. So it's a concern but relative, the bouncing around was going to eventually cause problems anyway. No one needs to worry that it's going to fail instantly but it's something to think about long term.

skywhitney

Squirrel
@cletus26 how did you mount the tray to that area? Did you have to fabricate a bracket to support the overhang of the tray? Apparently my battery is larger than the one you're using because it won't fit without completely moving the PS resevouir and getting rid of the two bolts that it mounts to.

You don't happen to have any pictures of just the tray installed do you?

Edit: oops, wrong person tagged

Last edited:

Cletus26

Adventurer
@wrenchmonkey how did you mount the tray to that area? Did you have to fabricate a bracket to support the overhang of the tray? Apparently my battery is larger than the one you're using because it won't fit without completely moving the PS resevouir and getting rid of the two bolts that it mounts to.

You don't happen to have any pictures of just the tray installed do you?

Are you referring to mine that's on the passenger side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94