2018 Subaru Crosstreks have arrived (2018=all new)

orangeTJ

Explorer
The 2018 Crosstrek is all new for 2018, based on the all new 2017 Impreza.

I looked at a few last week and test drove one.

They are much quieter than the 1st gen Crosstreks and have a better ride as well.

I looked at them because I've considered them or some other small AWD CUV / SUV as a daily driver that will also get me off the beaten path on occasion.

Here's a few quick cheezy videos I did while looking at them last week:

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXt7w13xSg&t=5s

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1zPxa7UvM&t=120s

Part 3, which has a few still photos of the Sunshine Orange and Cool Gray Khaki colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyWAQj2U4YA&t=5s

Part 4 is a walk-around of the Cool Gray Khaki. In bright sun, it looks powder blue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8T-sHE5Js

Last edited:

orangeTJ

Explorer
Things I liked about the gen 2 (2018) vs gen 1 (2017 and prior):

Quieter
Smoother CVT
Slightly better acceleration (it now has 152 hp and direct injection) (more HP would be nice though)
X-mode and hill descent control (loved it in the Outback I had for 5 weeks)
Less bright finish materials on the interior - more "black"

Last edited:

AdvNerd

They look great. The Xmode is a nice addition, I loved it in my Outback. It was great for getting steady throttle response in slow offroad driving.

The first gen are now getting pretty cheap too, I've seen some around $15k. Really it's a win-win if you want a Subaru these days. The prices are finally starting to drop on used vehicles and the new models are solid with some nice new features. Wish my 2016 had CarPlay or Android Auto.

sickchilly

Observer
I've been trying to talk the wife into these, but CVT = hell no, never. She won't even consider an automatic. Of course you can't get the luxury options like leather with the manual. Haven't looked to see if that's changed for 2018, but I highly doubt it since Subie seems hell-bent on shoving that blasted CVT down our throats. SMH.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I went from a 01 GT 5sp Legacy that towed my trailers and did lots of dirt. 180,000 miles 12yrs. I was going to replace it with the new OB 6spd manual. My 01 was throttle cable from pedal to intake. The new cars are electronically governed. The New manuals suck!!! Where my 01 would snap too and go loaded! The 2010 6pd bogged and chugged with an empty car!

It was so bad I caved and got a first Gen cvt. Its weird going from 12yrs of manual to a cvt. Today I can honestly say the cvt simply crushes the Manual in the mountains and towing. The ratios available and the highly active management gets a whole lot more out of the Subaru engines. The newer cvts get fake shift points to appease the gear shifting types, and have been tweaked and perfected over the one I have. But I can honestly say the cvt was the best thing for the low powered Subarus. My 2010 is just shy of 100k tows my 4x6, 60k dealer drain fill cvt service to stay under Mother Subarus backing to fix it, if you have a failure. ETC

The gearing in the manuals is too tall for steep climbs and the electronic throttle limitations vs emmissions controls has numbed the throttle response making a steep loaded climb from a dead stop near impossible.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
In our area the once independent Subaru dealers who were fair on service fees and reasonable on sales prices are gone. All bought up by huge Auto Groups and had multimillion dollar palaces built where once simple and effective small family dealers sat. As such there arent very many Subaru Dealers and they effectively set the price for the entire region with no competition. This happened with Toyota in our area about 10yrs ago, the Toyota dealers here wont even budge off MSRP. So I dont buy new Toyotas used from private sellers yes but never new. My wifes 2016 Ford which has been great I had 12 dealers within 70minutes of my house all ready to brawl for my purchase. Same sort of deal for GM brands. To be perfectly blunt I would look at the new 17 GM offerings that play in the Subaru Space just as a counter point to the Subaru dealer limitation and Monopoly.

Subaru the Company is great I like how they stand behind their product, but if all their dealers are jumbo monopoly outfits your not getting a deal or a hugely superior vehicle over competitors with better pricing and dealer options.

p nut

butter
I went from a 01 GT 5sp Legacy that towed my trailers and did lots of dirt. 180,000 miles 12yrs. I was going to replace it with the new OB 6spd manual. My 01 was throttle cable from pedal to intake. The new cars are electronically governed. The New manuals suck!!! Where my 01 would snap too and go loaded! The 2010 6pd bogged and chugged with an empty car!

It was so bad I caved and got a first Gen cvt. Its weird going from 12yrs of manual to a cvt. Today I can honestly say the cvt simply crushes the Manual in the mountains and towing. The ratios available and the highly active management gets a whole lot more out of the Subaru engines. The newer cvts get fake shift points to appease the gear shifting types, and have been tweaked and perfected over the one I have. But I can honestly say the cvt was the best thing for the low powered Subarus. My 2010 is just shy of 100k tows my 4x6, 60k dealer drain fill cvt service to stay under Mother Subarus backing to fix it, if you have a failure. ETC

The gearing in the manuals is too tall for steep climbs and the electronic throttle limitations vs emmissions controls has numbed the throttle response making a steep loaded climb from a dead stop near impossible.

CVT has been excellent for me, as well. Only negative is the noise. It's louder/whinier than other transmissions. Not too bad, but noticeable. Pull up the high elevation mountain passes with the 4-banger---no issues at all, whereas with my previous cars, I'd have to shift from 6th to 5th to 4th, back to 5th, etc. This thing just stays smooth. 65k on ours and have really enjoyed it.

orangeTJ

Explorer
In our area the once independent Subaru dealers who were fair on service fees and reasonable on sales prices are gone. All bought up by huge Auto Groups and had multimillion dollar palaces built where once simple and effective small family dealers sat. As such there aren't very many Subaru Dealers and they effectively set the price for the entire region with no competition.

Ditto for Spokane, WA. AutoNation and Lithia.

orangeTJ

Explorer
I stopped in again today and looked at them. The Cool Gray Khaki is more "powder blue" than "gray" when viewed in bright sunlight.

The Ice Silver has a blue tint to it, which I've known (seen) since last year when I first started looking at Outbacks.

Last edited:

orangeTJ

Explorer
I'd bet more guts will be a long time coming. If it had more power, it might cannibalize Outback sales.

Agreed.

The class of small cars/SUVs are mostly all gutless with their small engine, because manufactures build them to meet a certain MPG criteria. Giving them more power reduces their fuel economy, and to some people fuel economy is more important than drivability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles