Getting there in my Colorado

BobsCreek

Adventurer
My 2015 is slowly getting upgraded. I waited till it was properly broken in to start doing much on it, a 110,000 miles sounded like a good number.
Bed drawer/storage area is just awaiting my Engel fridge, water tank/pump and the battery to be installed, bed rack is done (will come off at some point for powder coating) and the Softtopper can still be taken off easily.
Still need to install security/bear panels that clamp on and off, but that's next week...
Slight odd ocd issues with the rack, nothing of concern though. They are a byproduct of my not being able to leave the truck while the rack was being built. The shop couldn't test fit as work was being done. The only issues is that they erred on the side of caution....which probably makes it so I can still remove the Softtopper easily lol.

The extra weight seems to still be less than my fiberglass topper

IMG_20170803_103623836.jpgIMG_20170816_102549825.jpgIMG_20170816_185613719_HDR.jpgIMG_20170816_185622515_HDR.jpg

p nut

butter
110k miles in 2 years? (or is it 3?). You must drive a lot. What's the crossbar at the back for?

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Yeah, lots of driving lol. The crossbar is hinged and can be padlocked. It's simply a half assed security gate.. people can reach in, but hauling an Engel fridge out won't happen ... Unless they get more creative

p nut

butter
Cool. Nice idea. I've thought about a rack like that in the past, but always wondered about security. Seems like a great solution.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Cool. Nice idea. I've thought about a rack like that in the past, but always wondered about security. Seems like a great solution.

Ita sure not fool proof, once I add removable panels on the side it will reduce the options a bit more, but hey, if they want something they will get it, doesn't matter what type of topper you have lol

Hagar

Observer
Neat setup.

Wish we had the long bed option down under.

Seems to be a lot more people with open beds in the US than here is Australia. Do you find that you have problems with dust entering all your equipment in the bed? Thinking that may be one of the differences. I have run an open bed plus tonneau for a while and was constantly irritated at the amount of dust through everything! Did you need to do much waterproofing on your drawer system?

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Hagar, I run a Softtopper, it's just rolled up in those pictures. I have run silicone sealer on the bed gap in some places and in others run bed gap weatherstripping.

Also, items in the back a mostly in plastic tubs that have lids.

The set up isn't perfect, slight moisture can get in and so can dust, but generally it seems that both are reduced to the point that it's not a bother.

Attachments

• asset.jpg
    asset.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 179

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Just a 1.5" leveling kit so far. Late winter/early spring I'm looking at the Eibach suspension lift and will add 2", and change over to at least an 18"' maybe a 19" wheel. Running KO2s right now, size 265/65/17

Hagar

Observer
Hagar, I run a Softtopper, it's just rolled up in those pictures. I have run silicone sealer on the bed gap in some places and in others run bed gap weatherstripping.

Also, items in the back a mostly in plastic tubs that have lids.

The set up isn't perfect, slight moisture can get in and so can dust, but generally it seems that both are reduced to the point that it's not a bother.

That makes sense. Agreed a little bit here and there is no problem. Last time I went through some of our Australian bull dust I opened up the tail gate at the end of the day and received an enormous billow of fine red dust all over me. Needless to say that nights meal was less than satisfactory, not to mention the state of the bedding.... Helped prompt my current canopy build and current highly detailed sealing of the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles