Suggestions for RTT RENTAL in Utah

SETundra

I'm on the east coast and planning my first trip to Utah next year. I have a Tundra with a camper shell that will have a roof rack and internal supports for a RTT.

Originally I planned to buy one but I'm not convinced since I likely won't use the tent again for a few years. I am between buying one of the cheapest soft shells or something like the CVT hard shell, and now considering just renting one. If I buy one I might end up selling it after the trip, but selling items like that can be a hassel.

My original route had us going by the Grand Canyon to Zion and about 10 days later finishing up at Arches. I wanted to drive back east from there through CO.

I might spend $500 for those 9 to 12 nights on a rental but don't want to alter this route too much. I don't want to pick up and drop off at the same location.

Anyone done this or have further suggestions?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I'm on the east coast and planning my first trip to Utah next year. I have a Tundra with a camper shell that will have a roof rack and internal supports for a RTT.

Originally I planned to buy one but I'm not convinced since I likely won't use the tent again for a few years. I am between buying one of the cheapest soft shells or something like the CVT hard shell, and now considering just renting one. If I buy one I might end up selling it after the trip, but selling items like that can be a hassel.

My original route had us going by the Grand Canyon to Zion and about 10 days later finishing up at Arches. I wanted to drive back east from there through CO.

I might spend $500 for those 9 to 12 nights on a rental but don't want to alter this route too much. I don't want to pick up and drop off at the same location.

Cruiser Outfitters in Sandy, UT rents ARB fridges and such, I don't know about RTT's though, and that's not on the way. There's not much out there along your route, different pu/drop off locations are going to be even more rare, it's not like Enterprise RAC. Your best bet would be to try REI, or just buy a used RTT and resell it after your trip.

Ghost65

Allergic to Pavement
Cruiser Outfitters in Sandy, UT rents ARB fridges and such, I don't know about RTT's though, and that's not on the way. There's not much out there along your route, different pu/drop off locations are going to be even more rare, it's not like Enterprise RAC. Your best bet would be to try REI, or just buy a used RTT and resell it after your trip.

REI only rents ground tents...no RTT's.

quadforce4

I don't want to pick up and drop off at the same location.

I think that's totally unrealistic, you'll have to readjust your plans if you want to rent something.

Could you pass through Denver on your way out as well as on your way back? That might be your best bet.

Mgyver1

Observer
Off The Grid Rentals rents RTT's through 4 different locations, one is in St. George, UT and one is in Mesa, AZ. Not sure if they do one way rentals, but I think that'd be your only snowball's chance of a one way rental on a RTT. There aren't too many places that rent RTT's, so trying to find a place and find one that does one way is going to be slim pickins. Good luck and enjoy your trip. I love my RTT, makes for a great night's sleep.

VicMackey

Adventurer

Not to be "That guy", but instead of renting for $500, I would buy a pre-owned one for $700 to $900 and return it to my garage when done. A Ten day trip to Arches and Zion ain't going to be cheap anyway, throwing another $300 to $400 at the tent now would pay dividends down the road. I know the tent is a but cumbersome, but you can turn it on its side and stash it in the dark corner of the garage or a friends garage till you need it.

Also, with enough notice, you may be able to rent a tent from a forum user here near your home. That way you will for sure be passing by the place you rented it from. Also if you got the tent up front, you could use it while on the road and save on hotel stays. The tent would basically pay for itself at that point.

Last edited:

Tbacus

REI does sell RTT. Yakima in the store in SLC. Tepui online. You could order online and have it delivered to an REI along your route. Then just pick it up at the store and they can help mount it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke