Picking up a 1993 SMB

grampswrx

Observer
Hi-

Been lurking for quite a while trying to gain some knowledge and figure out what I want to buy. Found a great looking 1993 ford e150 SMB on craigslist nearby and am picking it up at the end of the month. Has a small kitchen area, dinette in the back, pop top etc. It will mostly be used for family beach days, surfing in baja a couple times and year and some family camping trips. I have attached a picture.

A few questions:

I need to tear off the conversion van running boards. Any idea how they are attached?
Lift- not planning to go 4wd but would like to clear bigger tires. What are the best options for lift?
Wheels and tires: once lifted, I will need both. 16"s probably get me the most tire options, right?
There is a little rust on the roof rail above the driver. I have checked it out and its just the gutter, not the body. What is the best way to fix it permanently?

Looking forward to being part of the community!

Attachments

• IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 23

Roqon

Running boards are generally attached with a combination of bolts/screws/brackets/tape.
The rust repair will depend on how far it has gone. Could be easy as grind, prime with por15 and paint to welding in new metal.
Good luck with it!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
How much lift? How big tires?
Simplest would be Moog 880 or 880s coils. Not 100% sure they'd fit on a 150 so double check before putting down hard earned money. If not I'm sure Moog would have an option.
Spacers/blocks can be used on front and/or rear.

Weldtech has some options also.

There is currently a '6 inch' Weldtech for sale in the Van Parts... it was from an E350 so I'm not sure if the front suspension is the same.

Which motor?

grampswrx

Observer
It has the 5.0 ford v8. I am looking for maybe 2-4" of lift. Hoping to run 265s or somewhere in the 30-32" tire area. Don't need a ton of clearance, just more than stock. The weldtec stuff looks great, but its expensive. I saw that weldtec setup but I would need a front axle to match the bolt pattern and its in TX and I am in CA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles